Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » Megaverse phpBB Bugs/Wish List

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:00 pm
  

D-Bee

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:15 am
Posts: 8
Can this forum be added to existing mobile app forums?

I see this is a phpBB system, and phpBB is supported on Tapatalk, see https://tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php

Now that mobile devices are so common, it would be nice to get to the Palladium forum through a mobile app.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:06 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:17 pm
Posts: 435
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.
Yes please!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:20 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 3466
Location: 25th Member of the "Cabal of 24"
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt
Please no...

I have added it to my forum, and have received nothing but grief.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:20 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:17 pm
Posts: 435
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.
Tiree wrote:
Please no...

I have added it to my forum, and have received nothing but grief.


Would be able to expand on this statement? How does it cause you grief?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:59 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 3466
Location: 25th Member of the "Cabal of 24"
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt
My forum users:

I have users who can't seem to turn off the message about installing tapatalk.
I believe I had stripped out the code on the forum that pertains to that section, but my forum users still get the request.

Administration Side:

They are constantly performing upgrades. I can't keep up on the upgrades, and I doubt that the administration here could handle the weekly to bimonthly updates they pump out. And if they are like me, I toss the update on a test forum before I install live.

And lastly - it is a paid app for the end user to use.


          Top  
 
Offline
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:31 pm
  

User avatar
OLD ONE

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2000 2:01 am
Posts: 7710
Location: Indianapolis
Comment: PROUDLY Not a member of the "Cabal of 24"
Tiree wrote:
My forum users:

I have users who can't seem to turn off the message about installing tapatalk.
I believe I had stripped out the code on the forum that pertains to that section, but my forum users still get the request.

Administration Side:

They are constantly performing upgrades. I can't keep up on the upgrades, and I doubt that the administration here could handle the weekly to bimonthly updates they pump out. And if they are like me, I toss the update on a test forum before I install live.

And lastly - it is a paid app for the end user to use.
If this is accurate, it probably won't happen here.

_________________
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:14 pm
  

D-Bee

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:15 am
Posts: 8
NMI wrote:
Tiree wrote:
My forum users:

I have users who can't seem to turn off the message about installing tapatalk.
I believe I had stripped out the code on the forum that pertains to that section, but my forum users still get the request.

Administration Side:

They are constantly performing upgrades. I can't keep up on the upgrades, and I doubt that the administration here could handle the weekly to bimonthly updates they pump out. And if they are like me, I toss the update on a test forum before I install live.

And lastly - it is a paid app for the end user to use.
If this is accurate, it probably won't happen here.


If this is true, I agree with not using it. While I know little about adding this software to a forum, I know it works fine for me on my iPod and it is free. The other forums where I use it are also small RPG forums, so I doubt they have the staff and funds it keep up with it, if it is truly so much trouble. Anyway, I can try to look into it more.

In the meantime, does anyone recommend any other forum app for mobile devices?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:35 pm
  

D-Bee

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:15 am
Posts: 8
This forum uses phpBB, so I checked the phpBB.com Web site on this. Over the recent years others asked them the same question about mobile apps. Their basic answer is that they are not developing for a mobile app. I am not sure if that is a good answer, but it's an answer. Here is a link to the search and discussions over the years.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2156025


One forum I can access through two mobile apps uses ProBoards http://www.proboards.com/. Apparently the ProBoards developers see mobile apps differently from phpBB

Another forum I read uses phpBB.com, and I can access them through Tapatalk. I will ask them for some guidance.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:56 pm
  

User avatar
D-Bee

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:16 am
Posts: 9
Reading the site on my phone (which is currently the only way I have access to the 'net most days) is painful at best. With RoboTech arriving I was hoping to make use of the forums more but without mobile compatibility I won't be able to much.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:04 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:34 pm
Posts: 1718
Location: Carson City NV
I mainly use mobile, on android the site works flawless on a android. I use the mobile opera browser and even the stock browser.....still text rights it's self to fit the screen. Though my spell check doesnt work.
If its so painfull are you running the dreadd ios apple?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:50 pm
  

User avatar
D-Bee

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:16 am
Posts: 9
Zamion138 wrote:
I mainly use mobile, on android the site works flawless on a android. I use the mobile opera browser and even the stock browser.....still text rights it's self to fit the screen. Though my spell check doesnt work.
If its so painfull are you running the dreadd ios apple?

Chrome and stock browser on cm11. I have to zoom out to see all the forums and topics then zoom in to read posts and scroll side to side as I am reading a post. Nothing wraps, it is all displayed as the desktop site even though my user agent on my mobile and tablet are both set to mobile.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:20 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:34 pm
Posts: 1718
Location: Carson City NV
lordfett213 wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:
I mainly use mobile, on android the site works flawless on a android. I use the mobile opera browser and even the stock browser.....still text rights it's self to fit the screen. Though my spell check doesnt work.
If its so painfull are you running the dreadd ios apple?

Chrome and stock browser on cm11. I have to zoom out to see all the forums and topics then zoom in to read posts and scroll side to side as I am reading a post. Nothing wraps, it is all displayed as the desktop site even though my user agent on my mobile and tablet are both set to mobile.

On stock browser double check your settings for the auto zoom, im set to medium. Also check that auto fit is turned on....should be under advanced if you have the newest version of the app.
Cant say thats the issue as there are a crap ton of androids out there but thats what my settings are and it seems to work fine.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:39 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 3466
Location: 25th Member of the "Cabal of 24"
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt
I use my iPhone and it displays just like my desktop.

Zooming in is mandatory to read, but that's fairly common with me on all sites.

As for TapaTalk. I hated using it


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:22 pm
  

User avatar
D-Bee

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:16 am
Posts: 9
Any other site with the littlest optimization for mobile is fine even many forums, just not these. Personally I don't use stock browser for much because it is never updated except with os updates.

Glad to hear it is working for someone though.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:50 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 3466
Location: 25th Member of the "Cabal of 24"
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt
You have to fine the right "Theme" the default Prosilver and Subsilver work the best, and are optimized for Browsers. PhpBB have non-developers create some of the themes. Some are really great, others are not so much. The ones that come with the Board Software will always be updated and work the best IMO.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:01 am
  

User avatar
D-Bee

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:16 am
Posts: 9
Subsilver and prosilver are a slight bit better but still require a lot of zooming in and out. It at least makes most posts nearly readable without much zooming.


          Top  
 
Offline
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:23 am
  

User avatar
OLD ONE

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2000 2:01 am
Posts: 7710
Location: Indianapolis
Comment: PROUDLY Not a member of the "Cabal of 24"
An app that I recently discovered somewhat useful is "EZ Forum" for Android devices.

It doesn't support all types of forums, but it is:

a. FREE
b. Doesnt require installation on our servers here.

_________________
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:50 am
  

D-Bee

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:35 am
Posts: 1
I am using android and since i updated the android version my TapaTalk app has stopped running as soon as i open the app starts to crashing so i thought maybe this is the reason for the old version of the app I have also updated the app, but still my problem is not solved, not only this app, but all the messenger apps in my mobile, the same problem is coming up with all these messengers app. I also use modified app's like this https://gbapps.net/gbwhatsapp-apk/ but then the problem is not solved. Do any of you have a solution to this problem?...


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group