Tamashiwara and tanks

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Tamashiwara and tanks

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

hi, forgive my spelling but I don't have the book with me right now. basically from what I intrepreted form "the art of breaking" was that anything that wasn't alive was broken in one hit no matter how hard it was because you attack the chi of the object. if so, then bank robbing is wasy just punch the vault door. I admit you need you need a 14 or higher, but still :shock:

is there some sort of limit on this power, I mean, it's supposed to be great but sinse you can easially get this at level one and one form starts with it at level 5 prophicincy, even though it dosn't increase as you go up in levels.

it seems like a pretty haphazard discription to me, or was I supposed to be able to crack tanks like eggs?
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Slag
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Re: Tamashiware(sp?) and tanks

Unread post by Slag »

I'd rule "MDC" constructs are immune. Vaults and tanks should be considered MDC since you "can't hurt them with a colt 45", essentially.

In Rifts you *may* rule differently due to "high PPE environment", but not on "modern Earth".

As for objects with AR, I'd house rule you'd need to at least defeat the AR to do damage, so Tama against AR 17 would really need a 17 or higher, not just a 14...
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Slagg, Now with Extra G! wrote:I'd rule "MDC" constructs are immune. Vaults and tanks should be considered MDC since you "can't hurt them with a colt 45", essentially.

In Rifts you *may* rule differently due to "high PPE environment", but not on "modern Earth".

As for objects with AR, I'd house rule you'd need to at least defeat the AR to do damage, so Tama against AR 17 would really need a 17 or higher, not just a 14...

it lists them as SDC in N&SS, but your idea with tanks and bank vaults makes sense. in RIFTS it says in Conversion that it does a flat 1d4*10 MD in rifts to MD objects and creatures, so that's not really the question.

thanks Slagg (and should I ask what the extra G is for?)

any other thoughts or suggestions?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:hi, forgive my spelling but I don't have the book with me right now. basically from what I intrepreted form "the art of breaking" was that anything that wasn't alive was broken in one hit no matter how hard it was because you attack the chi of the object. if so, then bank robbing is wasy just punch the vault door. I admit you need you need a 14 or higher, but still :shock:

Anything that large would simply get a fist-sized hole in it, as described in the power (note the example of punching a hole in a door while shattering or destroying smaller objects). Attacking a tank with tamashiwara might give you a window to attack the crew through, but the tank will be rolling along all the while.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
thanks Slagg (and should I ask what the extra G is for?)

Fagidaboutit... 8-)

And the G stands for "Godly", "Gorgeous", or "Gumbah", depending on who you ask... :P

Unread post by Guest »

now Tameshigeri on the other hand (a version of Tamashiwara with a sword) i would allow to cut a tank in half, if you rolled high enough (as the rules of the version i was shown said you could cut a certain number of things if you make a high enough roll) so if you rolled high enough to cut the front armor, crew armor, turret/motors, crew, engine block, and the rear armor (6-12 objects) then you could indeed slice a tank right in half...

why would i allow it....because its frickin cooler than hell.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Murasame wrote:now Tameshigeri on the other hand (a version of Tamashiwara with a sword) i would allow to cut a tank in half, if you rolled high enough (as the rules of the version i was shown said you could cut a certain number of things if you make a high enough roll) so if you rolled high enough to cut the front armor, crew armor, turret/motors, crew, engine block, and the rear armor (6-12 objects) then you could indeed slice a tank right in half...

why would i allow it....because its frickin cooler than hell.

where did you get Tameshigeri from? and why was it necessary? I the rules to say that you could use any of your marshal arts techniques wiht a wepon if you had a kata for tha twepon. so the Zanji Shinjiken-Ryu guy could do it with his kata anyway with just tamashiware.

am I missing something somewhere? :?

Unread post by Guest »

Slagg, Now with Extra G! wrote:I'd rule "MDC" constructs are immune. Vaults and tanks should be considered MDC since you "can't hurt them with a colt 45", essentially.

:thwak: M.D.C doesn't exist in N&S.

I'd agree, you'd have to defeat the A.R. (with a natural roll, just to make it work).
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:

In the case of tanks and vaults, maybe it should! :P Or do you think a kid with a stick taking out an M1A1 waspart of Mr. Wujyk's vision for N&S? :lol:

Unread post by Guest »

Slagg, Now with Extra G! wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:

In the case of tanks and vaults, maybe it should! :P Or do you think a kid with a stick taking out an M1A1 waspart of Mr. Wujyk's vision for N&S? :lol:

Nope, that's one of the reason's P.V. was included in the N&S rules (too bad they didn't do more with P.V. though).
Ten Tigers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ten Tigers »

Anyone here remember seeing Stormshadow do something similar to Tamiwashara on a tank?

For those who havent, here is what he did; he touched it about 4 times very quickly, and very lightly in various places. A few seconds later, the tank collapses into individual parts. (right down to the nuts and bolts)

Classic 80's moment there....
I love a good fight...
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

See Misfit KotLD's post a ways back in the topic :p
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Ten Tigers wrote:Anyone here remember seeing Stormshadow do something similar to Tamiwashara on a tank?

For those who havent, here is what he did; he touched it about 4 times very quickly, and very lightly in various places. A few seconds later, the tank collapses into individual parts. (right down to the nuts and bolts)

Classic 80's moment there....

I saw that episode: it was more than four touches, and some of the light strikes were kicks as well as hand strikes, but the basis of your statement makes the point splendidly.
I can honestly say that no player of mine (nor I in any one elses' game) have ever tried to break a tank with a Tamashiwara strike.
Using N&SS with HUII however, you may want to allow such a feat, so that the martial artists can compete with the supers without having to be supers themselves.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Originally posted by Nekira Sudacne.
Where did you get Tameshigeri from?
Probably from one of my many posts.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Given that it's getting late and I have to wake up in a little over eight hours...

The "art of breaking" does not generally give you the ability to reduce a tank or battleship to a cloud of slowly divirgent parts. It allows you to put a hole through the object regardless of the object's AR or SDC.

So, the AR 20 tank with 100 SDC per 10x10cm area and 20cm thick armour now has a fist/forearm sized hole blowing through the armour into the compartment/baffle space behind the armour.

As the description states, you are attacking the chi of the object (should actually read "in" the object, since chi flows through inanimate objects, not radiating away such as from a person). This is why AR is ignored. However, don't forget, use of the power without one other MA power (can't remember the name) means you're likely to break every bone in your hand creating the grenade chute in the tank.

G'night all...

*logs-off*
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Yendor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yendor »

Borast wrote:As the description states, you are attacking the chi of the object (should actually read "in" the object, since chi flows through inanimate objects, not radiating away such as from a person). This is why AR is ignored. However, don't forget, use of the power without one other MA power (can't remember the name) means you're likely to break every bone in your hand creating the grenade chute in the tank.

The power is Iron Hand. Combined, that'd make for a nasty strike... :D
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Natch Yendor...natch... :D
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Sentinel
Palladin

Now, imagine scoring a leaping power punch, using Tamashiwara, and rolling a Natural 20...

Unread post by Guest »

Sentinel wrote:Now, imagine scoring a leaping power punch, using Tamashiwara, and rolling a Natural 20...

Power Punches don't do double damage in N&S.
Sentinel
Palladin

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Now, imagine scoring a leaping power punch, using Tamashiwara, and rolling a Natural 20...

Pg. 128 of N&SS, under Critical Strikes, it says power punches are critical and do double damage, as do jump kicks and leap attacks.

Unread post by Guest »

Sentinel wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:

Pg. 128 of N&SS, under Critical Strikes, it says power punches are critical and do double damage, as do jump kicks and leap attacks.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Palladium "editing." You want the description of Power Punch on page 133.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

*ahem* after more than 1 year on the boards, I have finnally corrected the title of this topic :) :lol:

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:*ahem* after more than 1 year on the boards, I have finnally corrected the title of this topic :) :lol:

Congratulations!

And tanks for doing it...
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Unread post by Guest »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:*ahem* after more than 1 year on the boards, I have finnally corrected the title of this topic :) :lol:

Look on the bright side, at least you actually correct things like that. There's topics that never get corrected.

Remember, better late than never. ;)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Kuseru Satsujin wrote::thwak: M.D.C doesn't exist in N&S.

Well, just to be picky, I'll point out that the AN-M14 TH13 Inciendiary Hand Grenade and the Vehicle Stopper both inflict Mega-Damage...
But yes, tanks and banks are SDC in N&S.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Unread post by Guest »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Well, just to be picky, I'll point out that the AN-M14 TH13 Inciendiary Hand Grenade and the Vehicle Stopper both inflict Mega-Damage...

Don't you just love all the "we just cut and paste material from Robotech, without bothering to edit it" errors. I know I do.

Remember boys & girls, "The Veritich Fighter is not a conventional aircraft and does not apply." "Roll 2D6x100 for aircraft, 4D6x100 for Veritech Fighters, and 1D6x100 for land vehicles, to determine how many miles/kilometers they are off course by." And of course who can forget the classic, "It (Weapon Systems) includes the Destroids, vast variety of weapons, lasers, particle beams, auto cannons, missile launchers, and so on."
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:Remember boys & girls, "The Veritich Fighter is not a conventional aircraft and does not apply." "Roll 2D6x100 for aircraft, 4D6x100 for Veritech Fighters, and 1D6x100 for land vehicles, to determine how many miles/kilometers they are off course by." And of course who can forget the classic, "It (Weapon Systems) includes the Destroids, vast variety of weapons, lasers, particle beams, auto cannons, missile launchers, and so on."

The thing I want to know, is if you're driving a car going from point "A" to point "B", 20 klicks away in an area you're unfamiliar with, and end up 1D6x100 miles/kilometres away. :lol: (Let alone how a vertitech pilot is capable of being 4D6x100 miles/kilometres off course when making a 20 minute flight on a pre-determined bearing. ;))
Fnord

Unread post by Guest »

Ironically, the HUGMG has some rules on tank armor that might solve the problem easier. Unfortunately it wasn't implemented very well, so it would need some work.

Unread post by Guest »

ash_wednesday wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

ANd to be more picky MDC is mentioned in N&SS on pg 131 which also talks about tanks when talking about MDC... :P

Yeah, right after the main statement that MDC isn't used in N&S.
cms6317
D-Bee

Re: Tamashiwara and tanks

Unread post by cms6317 »

I have a question.
Tamashiwara and Tameshigeri or Setsudan if you will, all state that SDC and AR are irrelevant because you are breaking the Chi of an Object.
However, the objects they list are Wooden 2x4, Metal Lock, Ice, Door, etc. All of which do not have Chi since they are not living beings.
Tamashiwara states against living beings, it does double damage direct to hitpoints.
How are you "breaking the Chi" of an object that has no Chi?
Shouldn't it just state that you breaking the AR of an object?
Which falls to a different post I've seen in the boards; Tamashiwara on a Golem. If a Golem is living, then no, you don't break it, you do double damage to hit points.
If it isn't considered living, how are you breaking the chi of it?
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

cms6317 wrote:I have a question.
Tamashiwara and Tameshigeri or Setsudan if you will, all state that SDC and AR are irrelevant because you are breaking the Chi of an Object.
However, the objects they list are Wooden 2x4, Metal Lock, Ice, Door, etc. All of which do not have Chi since they are not living beings.
Tamashiwara states against living beings, it does double damage direct to hitpoints.
Which falls to a different post I've seen in the boards; Tamashiwara on a Golem. If a Golem is living, then no, you don't break it, you do double damage to hit points.

All objects have chi ... it's just living objects *generate* chi.

Everything else has chi in it, because it sits in a world where chi is everywhere. So, when it says you're "breaking" the chi in the object, you would instead be "disrupting" the flow of chi through it, and dispersing the small amount of chi sitting in it.

The implication is that chi powers the Strong force that keeps us from dissolving into component subatomic particles? (Okay, not quite, but... ;) )
Fnord

cms6317
D-Bee

Unread post by cms6317 »

Borast wrote:
cms6317 wrote:I have a question.

All objects have chi ... it's just living objects *generate* chi.

Everything else has chi in it, because it sits in a world where chi is everywhere. So, when it says you're "breaking" the chi in the object, you would instead be "disrupting" the flow of chi through it, and dispersing the small amount of chi sitting in it.

The implication is that chi powers the Strong force that keeps us from dissolving into component subatomic particles? (Okay, not quite, but... ;) )

From N&SS:
All living beings have Chi. Essentially, It's the energy of life that flows through the earth and through every living thing. Most physically fit, mentally healthy people will have a large amount of Chi. People who are sickly or mentally disturbed will have low amounts of Chi.

If it is the energy of Life, how does a dead tree or metal lock have chi?
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

cms6317 wrote:From N&SS:
All living beings have Chi. Essentially, It's the energy of life that flows through the earth and through every living thing. Most physically fit, mentally healthy people will have a large amount of Chi. People who are sickly or mentally disturbed will have low amounts of Chi.

If it is the energy of Life, how does a dead tree or metal lock have chi?

As I said, living beings *generate* chi (this is why a being can hold more chi than is available from the ambient).
The dead tree and metal lock will have the ambient level of chi for the area. Consider it like the force...it permeates everything. Use of tamashiwara disrupts the presence of the chi in and it`s flow through the object, making it more susceptible to damage.
Fnord

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Interesting proposal: if 0 chi dead things can absorb ambient chi passively, shouldn't this also happen to people who are reduced to 0 chi?
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

well lets say that Tamashiwara works on a tank, that doesn't mean that it 'cracks a tank open like an egg'. It means it puts a hole in a part of it. The entire tank just doesn't split in half. Its still damn impressive though.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tsh77769 »

I found the absolute positive and certain answer from the most pure and certain possible source...

GI JOE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEoerplORMw
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”