What do you think is the Best Immortal in Mystic China?

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Give the Reasons why you think ther Best?

What Immortal do you think makes the Best Villain and why?

What Immortal is the best for players and why?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: What do you think is the Best Immortal in Mystic China?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

best…????….*shrugs*

There is just one that bast for players and that is the Alchemic immortal. No pesky complications to worry about.

Both the damned and Ginseng immortals are written to be NPC villain types.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Only the true path one leads to enlightenment, but the negative chi one was interesting if I remember right not near my books. You end up spending 3/5th of your day to stay alive though
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

For Players to play Heartless, Alchemic, Companion, and surprisingly Negative Chi all work well.

For Villain's Ginseng and Damned immortals are really hard to beat, the latter because well... your selling your soul, the first for sheer squick.
With Positive Chi making some interesting villains when they give into despair and are trying to do anything to stave of the end.

The best ones though?
For a Player Character the best one in my opinion is Heartless. Why? because that is the easiest one to achieve in play. Anyone with access to the level 15 spell Remove Heart can become a basic Heartless Immortal. It also provides a nice mix of powers, but comes with a not too crippling draw back. The need to protect the Heart then becomes a driving force for the game as the player will act just like the Immortals are supposed to...
...they will be paranoid, and go to insane lengths to provide layered security while trying at the same time trying to avoid drawing to much attention, especially from enemies that might be able to field sufficient resources to break through said security. Which tends to be fascinating for the game with out being unduly disruptive.

I can't really say there is a best villain. The best one, is the one that works for a specific game. I have used all of them as villains before, and quite effectively.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Good to known.
What Immortals do you think are weak to be a player character?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

gaby wrote:Good to known.
What Immortals do you think are weak to be a player character?

The Immortals that I do not think are suitable for Player Characters are the Damned Immortal and the Immortals of Sleep.

Damned Immortals are to dependent on their NPC villain and have to obey orders to much...
...Like witches and other such classes they are too close to 'GM tools' and it is very hard to have them act as free agents.

Immortals of Sleep tend to have issues with their operational time limits. Unless the game is a one on one game, or the entire group is a group of Sleepers (and then I can synchronize their sleep cycles) they have a HUGE problem in that they are only active for a short period then drop out for long periods of time...
...which doesn't work in a group environment.

Positive Chi Immortals are not recommended simply because even if you start off low on the age tier... it is a given that you WILL end up in the 'must spend almost all your time staving off death" treadmill. However, I have seen them used in games for good effect. Sometimes the Player intends to play out the choice of having to give up their immortality and life, or retreat from the world that they wished to gain immortality for. Sometimes the game is not expected to last long enough for it to become an issue. And sometimes the Player intends to roleplay out the disillusionment of the discovery and the quest to try and find either a 'cure' a way to 'fix the problem' a new form or immortality... or true enlightenment. For these reasons I would not say that they are not suitable, just that they come with a strong advisory.

Ginseng Immortals are ill advised because of the inherent cruelty needed to make them work. Though again I have seen groups where the Ginseng Immortal later decides their actions are wrong and is seeking to atone. In fact in that particular game the living Ginseng in question actually voluntarily stayed with the Immortal after being freed so that they Immortal would be able to continue living...
...after telling her that simply letting herself die was "taking the easy way out" and that the Ginseng expected her to continue living so that she could atone by making right all that she had made wrong in her life.
It was a most interesting game.

I would reject the notion that something is 'too weak' for a PC. Especially since all the kinds of Immortal are rather potent.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

9th time refined Enlightened Immortal who also becomes a Heartless Immortal and Alchemical Immortal and Damned Immortal on top of that.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

My personal favorite is the Hearless Immortal. I used a Heartless Immortal as one of the more memorable villains in my last Heroes Unlimited game. She was a lot of fun to play. The game ended with a player recovering her secret heart and deciding to make her work for him rather than free her.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Axelmania
Knight

Glistam wrote:My personal favorite is the Hearless Immortal.

this one?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Axelmania wrote:
Glistam wrote:My personal favorite is the Hearless Immortal.

this one?

No, the one featured in the epilogue of this adventure log.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Axelmania
Knight

"she missed hearing what happened next due to temporarily deafening herself with her gunfire."

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”