MD: Required Reading

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Peacebringer
Adventurer

MD: Required Reading

Unread post by Peacebringer »

Here's a list of books that a Mission Director should read.

Sun Tzu's the Art of War: basic military strategies and the philosophy of the VC.

Che Guevara's Essays on Guerrilla Warfare: for a Latin American campaign, this is EXACTLY how communist rebels will operate and the the tactics used. It even has pictures on how to make a tank-trap!

Starship-Troopers.

Country-Study Books: Vietnam or what ever country you're interested in: usually found at your local libraries and most books are outdated, written in the '80s or '70s.

Green Beret's Survival Guide: has tips on setting booby-traps and survival techniques.

Army Field Manual: having seen one of these in a while, but it as useful thinks like how to cover-fire etc.

Daily Life in the Soviet-Union: exactly how a communist occupation would be.

A war novel about Vietnam or any small-actions warfare from the 20th century; you can even use a Civil-War novel if its about skirmishes. It will just give you ideas.

If you're born in the 1980s or later, a book about life in the USA during the 60s and 70s.

An essay on the elements of a Communist take-over; I don't remember who wrote it, but it had key concepts such as use of propaganda and "No body really wants a communist revolution".

EDIT: An Illustrated Guide to Weapons of the Modern Soviet Ground Forces: it's a neat little book that came out in '81; it has useful stuff like prior to Yom Kipper, soviet infantry and a BMP fought together; after: Soviet-infantry dismounted 300 yards and then moved forward to their objective. See, useful!

Books you don't really need to read.

The Communist Manifesto: next to the Bible, this just might be the second most influential book: it changed the lives of billions of people! You just need to know the basic concepts to how your enemy-forces will be thinking.

The Third World War: August, 1985: a very thought-out and technical book, but it's too technical for a Recon game.

Making out in Vietnamese or Making out in Spanish / Arabic: knowing basic phrases in your country of operations is useful for flavor, but no es muy important y pero dalo las pimientas.
DB 2.0
D-Bee

Re: MD: Required Reading

Unread post by DB 2.0 »

also any of the books about Carlos Hathcock, I prefer Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills, it gives a good fell on how things where in country according to some Nam Vets I've known over the years.
Peacebringer
Adventurer

This link might be useful.

It speaks of the Russian character.

http://readrussia.com/2015/03/06/vatnos ... nd-russia/
turko
D-Bee

Unread post by turko »

I recommend a book called "The 13th Valley" by John DelVecchio, a Vietnam veteran. It's about some Infantrymen going on patrols in Vietnam. I think it's based on a lot of true events, but it's also highly fictionalized.
Peacebringer
Adventurer

In the American psyche, most of Vietnam is fictionalized. I have only met one guy who was in Vietnam (had a broken back from mortar-fire, but could still work), but, I have seen a lot of movies about Vietnam. Basically, you go on a patrol and get in a fire-fight. Much like fighting in WW2; you storm a beach and shoot the, "Japs".
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Just bought Che Guevara on Guerrilla Warfare and the USMC Guidebook, 1986 at a used book sale. I've never been in the military so the Guidebook is useful. I've read the first part of Che's book; he violated his own strategy in guerrilla warfare; he clearly did not have the support of the people. He was what he would have been considered a bandit and killed soon.
Peacebringer
Adventurer

There's also the Green Berets' Survival-Guide, which I have some where but cannot find!
johnnyeagle
D-Bee

Unread post by johnnyeagle »

Infantry in Vietnam by LtC Albert Garland
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Great Livin' in Grubby Times by Don Paul.

Interesting; it tells how to survive an apocalypse (so to speak).

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”