Tell us about your house rules for TMNT & AtB

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rali
Hero

Re: Tell us about your house rules for TMNT & AtB

Unread post by Rali »

macksting wrote:Character stats top out at 30 + size and species bonuses, not taking penalties into account (I'm nothing if not fickle).

Is there a reason you don't take penalties into account? I'm also assuming that the 30+ cap only applies to physical attributes (PS, PE, PP, Spd) and that mental attributes (and PB) are not capped. And, now that I think of it, shouldn't most animals PP be penalized at greater size levels?
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Fubarius
Explorer

Unread post by Fubarius »

macksting wrote:Scholastic skills are superior to secondary skills in their breadth and quality of knowledge. Secondary skills are intended to be picked up by self-teaching and trial and error, while scholastic skills are intended to be learned through study and represent a formal education.
Being trained for a month by a mechanic in an auto shop doesn't represent a formal education, but it may represent solid grounds for self-study as you move beyond what is being taught. The formalities and precision of scholastic training, or even of on-the-job training amounting to more than a third of a term of study as above mentioned, are more demanding than a secondary skill's results would offer.

So it does make a difference. That month of working with a mechanic would be a solid basis for a secondary skill in my opinion, but seriously insufficient for a scholastic skill.

Here's the thing, sure the definition of the training of a secondary skill and a scholastic skill are importantly different, but what about total game effect? On a skill like Cooking it's pretty simple (using an example reprinted in a lot of Palladium books). The secondary skill lets you make something edible, the scholastic skill lets you make something that's high end restaurant good.

But what about something like running? No differences in bonuses to Spd, PE, or running duration. Body building? Training regimen would be different (lifting weights in a gym vs lifting rocks over your head), but the bonuses are identical. Even auto mechanics. In most game situations it always ends up being a fixed/not fixed type of outcome to the roll. Whether it's using factory authorized specifications (scholastic), or "that seems about right, now pass me the duct tape" (secondary), the end game effect is effectively identical. One could nitpick on the differences, but as a player I'd be rather pissed off if my GM told me that even though I made my roll by a wide margin, I didn't succeed in a particular case since I was using a secondary skill instead of a scholastic skill.

This whole point is of course only with skills that are naturally available as a secondary skill. A month helping out a mad scientist won't necessarily give you a skill like genetics or mechanical engineering. Those kind of skills take YEARS to master.

Now a house rule I occasionally use (sliding back on topic here) is that a player can get a skill that's not normally available as a secondary skill for the cost of two secondary skill slots. This is only for during character creation only, and only with GM approval. I made a Freed Slave character that I really wanted to have WP Heavy. Seemed like the best compromise we could come up with at the time. Some skills this would be inappropriate of course, use with discretion.
David Johnson
aka Fubarius
gordyzx9r
Hero

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

If the attacker rolls a natural 20 to strike, and the defender rolls a natural 20 to parry/dodge, then the defender gets an immediate free roll to strike.

I allow people to take the teaching skill and teach new skills or seek out people to teach them skills, but I make it expensive and time consuming on them. I don't restrict them from participating on adventures and so forth, but I drastically reduce the amount of experience they gain over people in the group who are not in school.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”