After the Bomb (ATB) Weapon Size Restrictions

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Norban
D-Bee

After the Bomb (ATB) Weapon Size Restrictions

Unread post by Norban »

I'm trying to parse through the firearms in the equipment section of ATB. Are weapons usable by characters of any size category unless noted? Like can a Size 3 creature use the 11lbs Chester 30-06 rifle and not the 6lbs Basco 5.56mm because the Basco explicitly states that is is for beings size 4-9? What about the ancient weapons? Do they all do the same damage regardless of size (except for "giant" versions)?

This is my first foray into a Palladium game, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Re: After the Bomb (ATB) Weapon Size Restrictions

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Most of the ancient (melee) weapons do the same amount of damage other than giant-sized weapons, as you say. For the axe specifically, they define 'giant-sized' as size level 16 and above, but in other parts of the book (e.g. page 23) they define giant-sized as level 15 and above, which I would use for all other weapons, along with the strength requirements noted. It just says that the weapon is custom made for the wielder's size, but doesn't say how specific that has to be or how far off your own size you could still use a weapon if it was not custom made for you. I guess GM discretion in that case.

For firearms, if the weapon's description doesn't define a size level, I have always assumed that it is made for normal 'human-sized' hands. How far from normal you can use the weapon isn't defined (welcome to Palladium Books, sorry!), but looking at the selections, they should at least cover the range not covered by smaller or larger weapons, perhaps size levels 7 to 14? I think the author's intent was to create a situation where almost every weapon is customised in some way with different handles, triggers, etc. to accommodate an individual's specific size and hand shape. Even if you are the same size level as the bandit whose revolver you just took, you may need to take it to a gunsmith to get it altered because the bandit had a hand with three clawed fingers compared to your two bulky digits (see the weapon-smith apprenticeship). I guess this is something a group can play around with or ignore as much as they like.

Sorry, that was a lot of waffle without much help! If you're 'about normal', just use the unspecified weapons as is.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Norban
D-Bee

Unread post by Norban »

Thanks for the response. The problem is that right now I've got a lot of very small characters and it feels hard to justify them using half the guns because they weigh as much as them. The other stuff I had read seemed to indicate that, as you say, this is just kind of what Palladium is. I had hoped for some hard and fast rules about the sizing, but I guess I'll have to live with making my own rulings.
correcttent
Newb

Unread post by correcttent »

I have a lot of extremely little characters right now, and it's hard to rationalize them having firearms that weigh twice as much as they do. From what I've read elsewhere, it seems like what you're saying is basically true about Palladium.

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”