land warrior?

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

land warrior?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

here's a poser for you. with the advent of organitech power systems, bug batteries, ect, that make electronics unbuggable, would NORAD drag out the Land warrior systems for their troops?

since GPS and such should still work, think of the tactical and strategic advantages.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

I've never heard of Land Warrior...is that some kind of tactical satellite system?
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
LJ
Explorer
Comment: A few household chemicals in the proper proportions.

Unread post by LJ »

ECHO Member
Champion of the 2004 Megaversal Deathmatch
He Who Must Not Be Combed
"Poison Clan rocks the world!!"
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

I know of a guy who worked with it's forerunner. To an infantryman the Landwarrior system gives impressive advantages over a conventional force. He noted that he could fire from behind full cover without risking return fire.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

The only thing you'd really need to do is run it off an Organitech power cell. That virtually bug-proofs it right there.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

of course, now that i think about it, you'd be restricted to the 1999 version, which was bulky and heavy. (still on par with the modern version in capabilities, but used off the shelf parts, which were very big, heavy, and ate more power.)

something NORAD isn't likely to fix given it's limited manufacturing ability. (being off the shelf though, you could make more by raiding radio shacks...)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mike Taylor

Conversely, so could the Bugs and anybody else who manages to get their hands on a prototype or a NORAD-built unit.

Now there's a nasty surprise. Imagine Silkworm Zombies wearing Bugged Land Warrior gear. Just when you think you have the advantage, out pop a bunch of Bugs.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

somehow i can't see silkworm zombies being able ot use such a system effectively. while they have all the skills of the unbugged person, they have no personal initiative and just follow orders.

so while you could deck out the zombugs with land warrior, i doubt they would be able to employ it using the tactics required to make full use of the systems abilities.

on the otherhand, there must be at least some upper tier bugs willing ot employ human turncoats, and those would be much more dangerous if equipped with said system.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mike Taylor

Juggalo Dead Boy wrote:The game I'm running now has little to do with the Bugs and more to do with PCs fighting against the Aryan Nation (there's a nightmarish group for System Failure). I never even thought about giving them such hardware. Hmmmmm......

Scary how our brains work along the same lines. In my case, it was a wholly new organization built out of remnants of various white supremacist movements. Hell's Horsemen, they were called.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Juggalo Dead Boy wrote:They didn't invade in UFO's. They invaded through the internet. The book actually says somewhere that most of the satellites are still in orbit, giving NORAD and military organizations globally a huge advantage.

and since bugs can only travel through hardlines, and not wireless systems, those sats would be fairly safe. we don't have any anti-sat weapons in 1999, and i doubt you could use the shuttle to do much to the GPS network.

this inability to travel via wireless means sat-comm, radio's, and cellphones are more or less safe to use as well. though in the case of radio and cellphones, the bugs might control repeater stations and can listen in on your communications.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mike Taylor

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Juggalo Dead Boy wrote:They didn't invade in UFO's. They invaded through the internet. The book actually says somewhere that most of the satellites are still in orbit, giving NORAD and military organizations globally a huge advantage.

and since bugs can only travel through hardlines, and not wireless systems, those sats would be fairly safe. we don't have any anti-sat weapons in 1999, and i doubt you could use the shuttle to do much to the GPS network.

this inability to travel via wireless means sat-comm, radio's, and cellphones are more or less safe to use as well. though in the case of radio and cellphones, the bugs might control repeater stations and can listen in on your communications.

That's when you bring in this guy. :)
Mike Taylor

That one got a thumbs up from Bill himself. I'm quite proud of my Systems Failure stuff.
Mike Taylor

Wow, I seem to have derailed glitterboy2098's thread. To get this back on track, let's try to find some ways to combine all the stuff from this thread. I'm fairly certain there's an adventure or two in this somewhere.

Return to “Systems Failure™”