Board index » SDC Worlds » Systems Failure™

Post subject: Area 51
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:51 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Just curious, what have some of the people out there done with Area 51 and Systems Failure?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:26 pm

Adventurer

area 51 is the base for bandito arms in rifts

"i shall kill you until you die from it" hot shots part deux

glitterboy2098 wrote:

:lol: just imagine the Hamster Airforce, with the furballs flying ducted fan Scale F-86's....and providing air support for the Rodent Armored Cav, in RC tanks...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:56 pm

Rifter® Contributer

bob the desolate one wrote:

Which would be relevant if we were talking about Rifts.

To answer Legion, I am working on some Systems Failure stuff for the Rifter and I am considering an Area 51-themed article. Don't want to spoil it just yet, though, as my ideas are very preliminary. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:37 pm

Hero

Post number 22 in this thread has a few hints that I dropped.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:03 pm

Adventurer

Phalanx wrote:
bob the desolate one wrote:

Which would be relevant if we were talking about Rifts.

To answer Legion, I am working on some Systems Failure stuff for the Rifter and I am considering an Area 51-themed article. Don't want to spoil it just yet, though, as my ideas are very preliminary. :)

wow hostile much

"i shall kill you until you die from it" hot shots part deux

glitterboy2098 wrote:

:lol: just imagine the Hamster Airforce, with the furballs flying ducted fan Scale F-86's....and providing air support for the Rodent Armored Cav, in RC tanks...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:02 pm

Rifter® Contributer

No, but you can read into it whatever you like. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:54 am

Knight

in rpg and fantasy its cool

but, in reality area 51 is a cover up for the real area they do expiraments on. just throughing that out there. no, i dont know if its fact. but, think about it. if your little brother knows where the cookie jar is, do you not move it?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:15 am

Champion

A game I played in had Area 51 as an independent military group, like NORAD, only evil. Even their standard basic grunts were genetically enhanced (minor regeneration, a bit stronger and more agile, better senses). Their spec-op soldiers were basically three generations beyond the Splicer OCC, looked almost completely human. All their soldiers were immune to silkworms.

Oh, and Area 51 had tamed several varieties of the bugs for their own use. Bombardier Beetles doubling as farm livestock to pull plows, etc. Assassin bugs patrolling their sewers to keep out invaders, etc.

"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:44 pm

Wanderer

I use a fringe splinter group of the Air Force operating out of Groom Lake, using essentially UFO's for waging their war against the Bugs.

"Your political base will melt away as surely as the polar ice caps -- I can guarantee you of that...you will become a political penguin on a smaller and smaller ice floe, drifting out to sea. Goodbye, my little friend," Schwarzenegger said, of GOP politicians and the environment

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:05 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

that sounds like a neat start. personally, i'd be wary of using UFO's directly, but perhaps the eggheads at groom lake managed to isolate themselves from hardlines and stayed safe. they then refitted their vehicles and aircraft to be more bugproof (without organitech*), and started a plan to outlast the problems. they could take in a lot of survivors from southern Nevada, both military and civilian, creating a 'freehold' of sorts, a safezone.
with plenty of experimental tech on the base, they could easily have some pretty impressive weapons and vehicles available, but in short supply, as resources would be limited.

of course, if you really want a conspiracy angle, perhaps the scientists in Area 51 had figured out how to do limited dimensional travel as an outgrowth of a failed anti-grav project, and they unknowingly brought the bugs to earth by exploring the previous bug hiveworld. if you really want 'alien' tech, perhaps the previous hiveworld had some advanced tech that the eggheads grabbed and did limited reverse engineering to.

(* i would assume that if you replaced the wires between avionics with fiberoptic systems, you could contain any bug intrusion. so if it hops into the radar, it couldn't get to the flight computer or targeting system. you'd need a dozen bugs to take control of one plane.)

* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:57 pm

Wanderer

My Air Force group use Roswell style UFO's, which are (in game) advanced beyond what the bugs can touch. They have a neat Independence Day style death ray. The catch to these guys is that there are only a small number of personnel at Area 51 and only a handful of disks in use, thus limiting their impact. They are an NPC group who do things in the background while NORAD works on clearing out California.

"Your political base will melt away as surely as the polar ice caps -- I can guarantee you of that...you will become a political penguin on a smaller and smaller ice floe, drifting out to sea. Goodbye, my little friend," Schwarzenegger said, of GOP politicians and the environment

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:27 am

Hero

Years ago on an earlier incarnation of the board, Bood Samel proposed the idea of the grays (the big-headed aliens with the almond-shaped eyes) having control of Nevada, or at least Area 51.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:27 am

Wanderer

I've been trying to figure out an alien group who would have a personal vendetta against the bugs; a group to help humanity out when the going gets a lot more tough than even NORAD expects it to during their final push. The grays may work, though I have reservations about using them for my campaign.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:49 am

Champion

Area 51's where I dump any crossover I might feel like dropping in a campaign. Although I tend to avoid that these days, since its hard finding crossover ideas that are both hella awesome and lighthearted enough for SF.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:57 am

Champion

Rallan wrote:
Area 51's where I dump any crossover I might feel like dropping in a campaign. Although I tend to avoid that these days, since its hard finding crossover ideas that are both hella awesome and lighthearted enough for SF.

Great idea. Maybe pre-y2k they were researching space/time, or even investigating some actual alien tech, that supposed crashed spaceship.

During y2k they ripped that area of space time, destroying the base, but now anything could come out of that area. People that go into it disappear (because they end up on an alien world).

"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:31 pm

Hero

Juggalo Dead Boy wrote:
I've been trying to figure out an alien group who would have a personal vendetta against the bugs; a group to help humanity out when the going gets a lot more tough than even NORAD expects it to during their final push. The grays may work, though I have reservations about using them for my campaign.

The ETs that I came up with as foes for the Bugs aren't necessarily there to help the humans. In fact, they actively dislike them. That may be an angle worth exploring in your game as well.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:24 pm

Wanderer

Mike Taylor wrote:
Juggalo Dead Boy wrote:

The ETs that I came up with as foes for the Bugs aren't necessarily there to help the humans. In fact, they actively dislike them. That may be an angle worth exploring in your game as well.

It may very well be worth exploring. The ET's "help" the humans to kill the bugs and then either wage war against the humans or leave them absolutely high and dry after the war is done. Or the ET's decide to exploit humanity for whatever reasons they may have. It is worth exploring.

Post subject: Re: Area 51
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:39 pm

Adventurer

Comment: Molon Labe
Legion wrote:
Just curious, what have some of the people out there done with Area 51 and Systems Failure?

Never used it, since finding players for an RPG game is hard enough were I live (unless I want to game with junior high kids, but being 30 thats always struck me as a little creepy) and finding some for one as little known as Systems Failure it almost impossible, but I've always though of it as maybe the reason that the Bugs invaded and seem to have a vendetta against the human race. I was going to have Area 51 doing experiments with space & time (transdimensional stuff), and they accidently trigger some sort of cataclysmic in the Bugs homeworld/dimension. Maybe we made contact and they got a virus at wiped out a large portion of their population, or maybe we don't ever realize it but our meddling with space & time has a ripple effect (maybe even a power surge in our equipment that causes some sort of back-feed) that wipes out their dimension and only a few escape in time, but due to temporal distortion this happened 100+ years ago for them (and probably in the 1980/90's for us). I was going to use this to explain the statements made by the Bug that killed the President.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:22 pm

Wanderer

Hidden in the pages of the core book are hints that the bugs were here on Earth in ancient times -- references are made to them in ancient art in the Yucatan peninsula.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:44 am

Hero

More stuff to add to the pot.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:18 am

Adventurer

While it might be a bit repetitive I introduced aliens into Systems Failure with a twist in mind. The Aliens are the ones who messed with the bugs to begin with and irritated them, it's just that The Bugs went to earth instead of the proper world by mistake, hence their comments about "payback" which made no sense.

The Aliens were a tiny offshoot of their species who felt guilty about earth paying the penelty for their crimes, and were trying to fix the problem, without anyone realizing they were responsible. Hence their apparent "benevolence". :)

Probably an old idea.

-

Incidently when it comes to Area 51, I remember reading in Nightbane that Area 51 was a pretty mysterious area too where people were using high powered energy weapons to drive off the Nightlords, but otherwise not doing anything. Don't have the books handy, and it was a while ago.

At any rate I decided there was a dimensional portal there between various dimensions, and a bunch of guys from Bandito Arms were exploiting it. Primarily being interested in obtaining "faux 20th century collectibles" from this parallel earth to sell on the RIFTS Black Market for big bucks. They don't care about the Nightlords conflict, other than to keep their portal open, and the energy beams were MDC weapons (fight your own monsters Gringo, we just want money in our world). :P

Kind of a grim and messed up situation, but I got a chuckle out of a bunch of low brow "Bandito" arms dealers being the big secret, and working through something that vaguely looked like the Stargate.

I did let the PCs fill some "collectible" orders for some (very limited) firepower. But then eventually the Banditos closed the gate and didn't come back and the PCs ran out of their very limited supply of ammo.
Was cute for a little while, but potentially campaign busting, so I just goofed for a bit.

If I do another campaign in the universe though it will probably be something totally differant though. The players were a bit miffed that I didn't let them get anything too good, since 1d6 MDC didn't even take out a hound (low roll, multi-hundred SDC on each thing) with one shot all the time. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:55 pm

Wanderer

Mike Taylor wrote:

Interesting. I have NORAD entrenched in heavy fighting in northern California in mid 2010. The fighting there could last 3-4 years, by my estimations. I've always wanted to include Mexico in my games but wasn't sure how to do it properly. Your post helped.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:32 am

Adventurer

i have two groups in area 51
south sector of the underground base is ran by general jackson, he has the R&D section and 700 troops.
north sector is run by captian vance who can not let the general set up his military regime. he has an advanced portable ai(archie 1) that keeps tha captian and his twenty in charge. oh did imention that young good looking captian is secretly in love with the generals daughter.whokeepsinformed of her dads movements. :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:37 am

D-Bee

*gets into character really quick, we couldn't play this week and I'm jonesing to get back to the game next week*

:begin burst transmission:
Good morning, General Wade.
Colonel Marie Parker here.
SitRep:
I can report that Area 51 is the location for a secret transmitter that will permanently shut down the lightning bugs ability to bring more of their kind to Earth, and shield us from anything else that tries to get here the same way.
Bonneville, Hastings, and the two new members of Team Omega have been dispatched to location in Salisbury, MD to meet with a possible ally - a friendly alien race.
The Dream Team - 24 Supersoldiers, six each from each of the Armed Forces, have been dispatched to retrieve the Think Tank located near Silicon Valley. They are led by Lt. Johnson.
The Copperheads, a local Warlord-like gang, have been dispatched due to Hastings overfondness for BunkerBusters. I seem to have *lost* the reprimand papers, sir.
We have approximately 124 civilians, all experienced in bug combat, living on base, and have begun basic training for all personell fit and able.
Unless NORAD has orders to the contrary sir, I will be proceeding as usual.
:End burst transmission:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:29 am

Wanderer

would be nice to own an area 51...
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-area51/pd