Board index » SDC Worlds » Systems Failure™

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:59 pm

Hero

LostOne wrote:
I realized you're serious, and think it's one of the most original and interesting ideas suggested so far.

Rifter article! :P

Maybe i should... :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:03 am

Adventurer

Perhaps the bugs experience time in reverse (much like Merlin in the myths) and so they are seeking revenge for the horrible defeat they will someday (have already) feel at the hands of the human race. That would mean that bug that has been chasing you around the city all week, you know the one you just killed yesterday; he just experienced his first day in existence and he was trying to kill you because you were trying to kill him! He's not the bad guy in his experience, YOU ARE! :lol:

"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:28 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.
Bill Coffin wrote:
Yes, they were. However, I never determined what that something might be, hoping that if I just dropped a hint at it, the players would pick up on it and come up with their own reasons.

I suspected the real cause might be for some horrible crime we did to the bugs and never even knew we were doing it. Thus, while they were getting revenge on us, it was for something we couldn't really be blamed for because we never had the opportunity to realize what we were doing. We never could acknowledge the impact of our actions on the bugs and choose whether to stop or continue. If we were to run with this line of reasoning, then for game purposes, the vagaries of our moral complicity with whatever we did to the bugs is also lost on the bugs. They either don't grasp those vagaries or they simply don't give a fig. They want blood, and by gum, they have come to get it. Perhaps along the way, their invasion might also serve a colonial purpose for them, so the Y2K invasion serves dual purposes for them, and makes them that less eager to leave.

I asked Bill.

The Truth About Ogres: Posted 2019.09.04
All Palladium Articles

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:46 pm

D-Bee

Nah... bill doesn't know what he is talking about. (yes i know he is the author... it is called a joke, look it up in the OED).

They were formed from the remants of Stephen Hawking's ant collection. After years and years of being picked up and shaken vigerously they managed to escape and were swept up into some bizarre experiment which unfortunatley involved crispy creme donuts, 40 weight motor oil, double sided sticky tape, and ball bearings.

Unfortunately it created a worm hole which trapped the bugs for thousdands of their years in subjective time, but in actuality only about 20 minutes passed for us. AT the same time they were bombarded by cosmic rays that unfortunately carried on the sounds of both paris hilton, and britney spears attempting to sing.....

I can fully understand why they would be royally P.O.'d after that.

In fact, I'd pick up arms and wipe us out too!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:17 am

Adventurer

gerinamo 8)
award 10 video points and the golden matrix award for originality.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:49 am

D-Bee

I love my GM's explaination:

1. Area 51 scientists developed a really really rudimentary Rift.
2. A team of explorers qwent through said rift.
3. They found bugs, tried to make first contact.
4. Hostile was not the word for the bug's reaction.
5. Area 51 recalled the explorers and closed the Rift by dropping several megatons of nukes on the bug's homeworld.
6. The bugs figured out where we were and SF picks up from there.

Simple, works for us, and Colonel Parker (me), Lt. Hastings (NPC/PC for when our 3rd guy can make it), and Lt. Bonneville (PC) are currently kicking buggy booty every Thursday from 5 pm til.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Dungeon Crawler

I don't think the bugs are really mad at all. Perhaps, it's about survival and nothing more.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:13 am

Hero

Comment: I really don't have anything deep or thought-provoking to say.
Ok, I've not read through the book nor have I played SF at all. All of my knowledge on this topic stems from reading through posts here on the forums, and being generally familiar with Rifts, Heroes Unlimited, and the Palladium Megaverse. So while my answer may not be the most original, it may work because I genuinely don't know what the frak I'm talking about.

The big question is "Why are the bugs seeking revenge". Apparently, something happened in the past (or as one poster put, something happened in "their" past) that is causing them to seek revenge on the human race. From what I've gathered, the bugs are either an extra-solar or extra-dimensional race, and either works. But what could human beings have done that could have caused them to want to destroy us? I have 2 separate theories on this.

If we study our history and do some reading, we all come to a universal question: Are we alone in the universe. If you continue to read history, you should see that multiple civilizations on Earth have pyramids. And in my belief, aliens had to have been here at different points in our (human) history to help these different civilizations create and build the pyramids. Let's face it - the construction of them alone requires an understanding of mathematics that the ancient Maya, Egyptian, and Chinese civilizations just didn't have. The only way to explain it is the help of aliens.

The question that pops up at this point is: What race of alien helped us build the pyramids. And this leads me to my 2 theories:

1. A friendly race of aliens, who happened to already be at war with the bugs, came here and assisted us in building the pyramids. We worshipped them as gods, and they gave us technological advancements to help us live. The bugs find out about our world, and find out that we worship the aliens they are at war with. This doesn't sit too well with them, but there isn't anything they can do about it as human beings don't have the capacity to generate electricity/electrical currents due to the undeveloped technological state of the human race. The bugs can get to us through the friendly aliens, but are defeated before they can get here. The bugs wait until mankind has evolved enough for them to get here using electrical conduits and radio waves, and Y2k just created a huge spike in power, large enough for them to come across.

2. The bugs were, at one time, the friendly race of aliens who were here helping mankind. Things were ok, but could have been better. While scarabs were worshipped in Egypt, the Chinese and Maya civilizations weren't so down with bowin down to the bugs. This irritated the bugs, and they attempted to force mankind into worship (which, at best, is just slavery with benefits). Mankind wouldn't have this, and war ensued. Somehow during the war, mankind was able to fend off the bugs, and through sheer luck mankind ended up sending the bugs to another dimension, predicated on survival through electricity. The bugs mutated, becoming highly attuned to electricity, and being able to use electricity as they saw fit. The Y2K spike in power actually resonated throughout a multitude of dimensions, including the bug-infested one. They saw where it came from, and still holding a grudge decided to come whoop up on us.

Are either of these feasible?

In memory of Alley. ?/?/1998 - 5/23/2002. Rest in Peace, little girl.
In memory of Nanee. 9/1/1993 - 5/16/2009. Rest in Peace, little girl.
In memory of Gabby Dean. 9/1/1993 - 1/20/2010. Rest in Peace, little girl.

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: All right, torch bearer, this is what we hired you for. Go in that cave, so we can see whats in there.
Mike Taylor wrote:

Being cranky and bloated and not having your chocolate fix?

Oh! The bugs are actually WOMEN!! It all makes perfect sense, now.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:53 pm

Adventurer

LadyArgonna wrote:
I love my GM's explaination:

1. Area 51 scientists developed a really really rudimentary Rift.
2. A team of explorers qwent through said rift.
3. They found bugs, tried to make first contact.
4. Hostile was not the word for the bug's reaction.
5. Area 51 recalled the explorers and closed the Rift by dropping several megatons of nukes on the bug's homeworld.
6. The bugs figured out where we were and SF picks up from there.

Simple, works for us, and Colonel Parker (me), Lt. Hastings (NPC/PC for when our 3rd guy can make it), and Lt. Bonneville (PC) are currently kicking buggy booty every Thursday from 5 pm til.

I like this idea, and it sounds very much like how our military thinks.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:47 am

Adventurer

ok so in reviewing sf and this section i really wanted my own spin off. i got to thinking why would the bugs hate humans so much. Well sifting through my useless facts i remember a story on sea scorpians. well those lilbuggers evolved into superpowerful,intelligent, and long lived. somewhere around the 21 century on this earth the bugs tried to talk with humans and a war was started. the bugs tried to talk to the humans repeatedly, they kept killing the bugs. Well the bugs began an earnest extermination process and after ten years that wiped the planet clean of humans/ the elders of the bugs decided to go a step further by creating a new breed of children, but in order to do this they would need dna from their ancestors. the two most powerful elder bugs joined in union and traveled back and collected sea scorpian ancestors. one of the elders on the way back to there time had a idea,go back in time and kill the humans before they can populate the planet, why should they not rule their planet instead. but in order to do this much traveling the new breed would have to be travelers with power diffrent than their own. it would require all the elders power and most of their lives to seed their new children with these new powers. thus were the bugs as we know them born.
sorry for any one reading tired as all get out ill correct background as time allows. any feed back is welcome, thanks.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:02 pm

Champion

It's been years since I read the book but I do remember getting the impression the bugs are invading due to some ancient transgression or humiliation at the hands of humanity.

Well not so ancient, but you could use someone like Nikola Tesla as the reason. Maybe Tesla coils having a reaction on the bug's homeworld, like the equivalent of an atomic bomb. Or the Tesla coils somehow channel energy from the bug's homeworld, starving them out. Like if an alien race figured out how to suck the water or oxygen or sunlight away from Earth.

Assuming they're in a different dimension maybe time passes differently and it's been thousands of years to them while Tesla was born in 1856 and died 1943, so is fairly recent history to us.

"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760