Aftermath of Spoilsport

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mike Taylor

Aftermath of Spoilsport

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

How would you run a campaign set in the aftermath of NORAD's last ditch plan to deny the Earth to the Bugs?
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

I would assume that Spoilsport would focus on (1) energy reserves, (2) production facilities and (3) centers of bug population. That means that many of the surviving freedom fighters and survivalists would probably live through the initial effects. Afterward, however, the setting would become one of even greater desperation. Nuclear winter, high levels of radiation and UV, and climate change are all strong possiblities that would push humanity to the brink. The surviving bugs, especially if they are now left hungry, disorganized and potentially stranded, would be out for revenge. Even worse would be the breakdown of humanity in the face of extinction.

I would probably run such a campaign as a cross between Threads, Aliens, and The Day After Tomorrow. Thematically, it would be very similar to On the Beach. It would be extremely bleak, deadly as can be, and sad. The species would be on its deathbed. The PCs just playing out humanity's final moments. It would take on serious questions of dying, compassion and spirituality. Hope (for this world, anyway) would be all but gone. It would be the most uncharacteristic Palladium game that I've ever been involved in.

If you give it a spin, you'd do us a great service to tell us how it goes.
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

NORAD fires of all their nukes on December 22, 2015, causing an unforseen, and previously unheard of psychokinetic backlash on a planetary scale. This results in natural distasters on biblical scale, wiping out most of the bugs (and humans) in coastal areas.

This also has the effect of re-awakening magic in the world and causing all sorts of other paranormal phenomenon, such as 'Rifts' in the fabric of space-time.... :D
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Damn. I was certain this thread was consigned to the dustbin.
LJ
Explorer
Comment: A few household chemicals in the proper proportions.

Unread post by LJ »

yeah, I'd think most of these would be in the dustbin by now....guess they changed how long before the board sends a thread there....
ECHO Member
Champion of the 2004 Megaversal Deathmatch
He Who Must Not Be Combed
"Poison Clan rocks the world!!"
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Auto-Pruning has been deactivated (or extended to several months; I forget which) for most forums since the board upgrades last Spring.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “Systems Failure™”