LJ's School of random warfare:Lecture

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LJ
Explorer
Comment: A few household chemicals in the proper proportions.

LJ's School of random warfare:Lecture

Unread post by LJ »

Going to attempt to pull a Taffy, and try to pump some random discussion stuff here. But since I don't want to feel like I'm talking to myself, people cane come up with the topic to discuss.
ECHO Member
Champion of the 2004 Megaversal Deathmatch
He Who Must Not Be Combed
"Poison Clan rocks the world!!"
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

So, don't leave us hanging, kick it off fuzzy!
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

I need other people to come up with the topics, because I'm lazy. :P
ECHO Member
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Compressed Air Weapons

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Yes, how would you apply the principles behind the paintball gun to much more dangerous weapons?
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Raiding Bugtowns
Bunker Setup Strategies
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

Mike Taylor wrote:Yes, how would you apply the principles behind the paintball gun to much more dangerous weapons?

Paintball guns as bug stopping weapons.....There is the possibility of making some bug juice-balls.

Some would try and take the shortcut of freezing bugjuice into little balls, but that has several problems.
-the frozen bug juice ball will need to melt before it effects the bugs, and will most like bounce on contact with the thick shell, so eye shots are a must.
-Premature melting, you'll end up with a gooey gun.
-Irregular sized balls, the balls need to be a certain size or they'll get caught in the gun.

Pros for Bug Juice Balls
-An average paintball gun holds 200 rounds in it's hopper, and reloads are easy to carry. Or you could carry a 10shot pistol in a regular holster.
-Ammo diversification, save more of your real ammo for use later.
-Not as loud as a real gun.
-Easy to tinker with to up ROF.
-Gives you something that you can arm the guy you don't completely trust/too young to be allowed to be armed/etc.

Cons
-Not enough knockdown power, most people can take a hit without as much as muttering a curse.
-It will take most of the balls in your gun to knock down a single target.
-Will need a steady supply of bug juice, as well as the chemicals and machinery that is needed to make/fill the capsules for the bugjuice.
-C02, Nitro, etc needed to operate.
-Needs an electronic hopper to keep up with higher ROFs.
-Low range and not very accurate, not a sniper weapon.
-Not as handy with the zombies.
-Ball breaks in the gun, you better have something else handy.

There are a lot more cons than pros, but if you have a decently sized community that can take of the C02, and bugball creating needs, the guns could come handy in a pinch, just by spreading them through the community to bolster the firepower.
ECHO Member
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

The paintballs could be laden with a substnace that the bugs find very offensive or extrememly harmful. Toxins, Genetic diseases, etc.

However, not to burst anybody's bubble, I find that Compressed Air weapons would be next to useless. Except that is for shooting you fellow humans as they walk down the street in paintball juvenile delinquency mode.

...........................Omote
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

Bunker Setup Strategies
Bunkers come in many shapes and sizes, as well as building materials. We would all love to have the concrete bunkers built into some mountainside, but are unable to for some reason or another. It's all about using what you have available.

Trailer Bunker:this is one of my personal favorites, mainly because of the availability of trailers, and how they can be used. Now when I say trailers, I'm talking about those big honking ones that you see all the time carrying goods to and from places all over the country. The 2 most common are the Mobile Fortress, and Ghetto Bunko.

Mobile Fortress Trailer:, this usually entails welding armor, and putting a few firing ports in it. These are great for the BugHunter on the go. Only problem is having enough fuel, and parts to keep this bad boy moving.

Ghetto Bunko: The Ghetto Bunko basically entails digging holes large enough to fit the trailer(s). You'll want to make the hole deep enough to be able to hide the bunker, be careful not to make it too deep to make the bunker not readily accessible. The entrance should have a ladder, as well as be large enough for a man with gear to go in and out with no problem. One entrance should suffice per trailer, with one trailer having 2. The second entrance should be larger than the others, mainly for bringing up/down larger gear. A quick to assemble winch system should be made available near this entrance, if not, just use rope and a lot of caution. The main concern with this bunker is the ability to dig a hole large enough for the trailer, and getting it down there properly.

Your Ghetto Bunko and you: Another problem with the ghetto bunkers is a recurring problem with many underground bunkers, and that is atmosphere. The slightly cramped, cold, and dank feeling bunker will drive some people mad. That is why it is good to have multiple trailers burried alongside eachother entrances built in to allow easy movement to and from. Most should be doorway size, but some may need larger, in the case of trailers devoted to storage, or workshops. Besides adding bunkers together, you should also segment some into different rooms. This can be done by welding a sheet metal rim along the inside, this will be used to fasten walls to the inside. Another thing to keep in my mind is air filtration, the stale air and dust will probably make many people sick. As of yet, there has been little success on finding a suitable and available way to do this.
ECHO Member
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

Oh yeah, we should all take up crazy personas like in Taffy's robotech thing. This is mainly to get ideas for npcs for our home campaigns, as well as ideas on how each person has come to a conclusion on something.

Like I would be....

Captain of the Mad Dog Militia of Free New Hampshire.

or something to that sort. Lot's of colorful character ideas.
ECHO Member
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

compressed air hmm could use it to fire metal spines (large armor pierceing needle type things) coated in bug juice or nerve agent or maybe its a hollow metal spine
Last edited by Warmaster40k on Sat May 15, 2004 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

Aha, yet another use for the 'Fleas' article in Systems Failure in #26. In it, I included dry ice bombs, balloon launchers, conductor traps and other simple weapons for spreading the fleas. Now if you could put a flea in water or glass tube inside a paintball, you could have a more accurate weapon with good range. Once it strikes, the flea is released onto the bug....

Hmmm... that's a pretty good idea...

But you better be careful that you don't get one of these paintballs exploding in your chamber or you'd have to abandon the weapon.
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Why does the juice have to be frozen to work in the paintball gun? Why not just fill standard paintballs with it? I thought it has to be liquid to do damage anyway.

What about larger compressed air devices, like potato cannons and pumpkin chuckers?

LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

The freezing is just a quicko way to make them, the problems with it are noted in the previous post. There's also the problem with the process of having a working freezer to actually freeze them(unless you live in colder climates.)

Potato canons......they could be used to launch flea canisters, or bug juice containers, makeshift anti-personel explosives. While not as effective as mortars or grenade launchers, they can help beef up an arsenal in some small ways.
ECHO Member
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well, not all survivalists are going to have light support weapons hidden away.

Silentsong

Unread post by Silentsong »

Shotguns work better. Preferably 6-8 gauge.

Did I just prove that I'm a redneck?
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

System's failure is pretty much a redneck game. :P

But yeah, shotguns are great weapons, mix in some random fantastical Norad weapons, or jury rigged weapons for support, and you end up with a lot of dead bugs.

"Not so tough when you wipe them off your boot!!"
ECHO Member
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

Trading Tip #3

While trading away heavy duty weapons, if you are faced with multiple offers, go with the person(s) that you trust more(could be fellow bughunters that operate in the same area, good rep, etc) if none are available, go with the ones with the best reputation. It's better to trade it to someone that may use it to bail your butts out of a firefight, then to some guy that may end up using it on you later.
ECHO Member
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

For those really poor freedom fighters
Low on ammo and other supplies, and not much left to trade?
Find a freebooter. They always need protection/help for their salvage runs, you can either work out a list of goods up front, or get a percentage cut. Make sure you do some research on the area before you accept the deal, stuff like bug or punk movement, and has anyone been there lately. You'll either walk into a bug/punk nest, or walk out almost empty handed.
ECHO Member
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

herblackwings29 wrote:Come on, LJ. How're we supposed to learn if you don't keep classes up?

I haven't played in over a year......and I need people to talk about stuff.....

And I'm lazy. :P
ECHO Member
Mike Taylor

Recommended reading for any sort of survival game fans.

One of the Living for Eden Studio's All Flesh Must Be Eaten zombie horror game. While written with AFMBE in mind, there is a lot of useful information in there for players of any post-acopalypse survival game. There's even background information on a community called Sunset Falls, an enclave of human survivors holed up in an old prison.

Given SF has it's own Silkworm Zombies, there's no reason that OOTL can't be applied to that game either.
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

herblackwings29 wrote:
LJavelle wrote:
herblackwings29 wrote:Come on, LJ. How're we supposed to learn if you don't keep classes up?

I haven't played in over a year......and I need people to talk about stuff.....

And I'm lazy. :P

Well, start at the beginning and teach me. I'm too lazy to order the book when I have no real chance of getting into a game.

Ask me a question and I'll come up with an answer....
ECHO Member
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Why is the sky blue?

Mike Taylor

The free booty?
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

The Freebooter when compared to the other OCCs could be a really tricky character to play or play with. They have the dual status of having what you need, but also being snake oil peddling thieves. And with things being what they are, you'll need to be a little of both to survive and come out on top.

This all comes from their smooth tongued-nature, which is their single most important tool. But it is what also gets them or other Freebooters into trouble. Too often in the wartorn world, they have a habit of always trying to cheat people to the very best possible results, and that has made people very very wary of them. Constantly cheating people will end up turning away customers very quickly, and possibly even getting a posse sent after him. So like any tool, it needs to be used with discretion. WHen entering a new area, if you're gonna do some cheating, go low enough that it isn't rediculous, and work on getting information on the local clientel. That way you learn who you could cheat(someone that really deserves it) without people thinking worse of you, and information is also a product for sale.

The next thing is your wares, while you may have stuff that people will trade anything for, other people would sooner just kill you and take it all. You need to get a few good guys to watch your back when the stink goes down, you also need to treat them well and not try and cheat them. SO that means keep them fed, armed, and happy. They also come in handy for when you go on salvage runs in new areas, any Bug trouble lurking around and they'll take care of it.

This was just a basic lesson about them to get my memory and mind in gear again, any comments/questions/suggestions can get stuff going in greater detail.
ECHO Member

Return to “Systems Failure™”