Any new official SF RPG books

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Any new official SF RPG books

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Nope. The game has been discontinued, and even before then, it was intended only as a one-shot. The Rifter and the internet are now the only sources of new Systems Failure material.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Could somebody please sticky the fate of Systems Failure to the top of the forum so that this question doesn't keep cropping up?
Mike Taylor

Well, to be honest, it was one of their poorest sellers.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Wanderer wrote:Darn it! I too have fallen in love with this wonderful game. I managed to pick up a copy of it for 13 dollars Australian which is a serious bargain. I read through it in a couple of days and I couldn't believe the treasure I had found. It beats out Rifts in the post-Apocalyptic stakes, the atmosphere is great. Wish there was some more support out there for it.

Hey Wanderer, where in this wide brown land of ours do you call home?
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

it's a shame that SF shared the fate of the other neglected series...PB seems to be RIFTS / RIFTS CE and not much more...smaller games like SF, NB and the like get no attention at all, BTS 2nd remains un-released and PF is in serious trouble since Bill Coffins departure.

what SF really would need is a) more info on the state of the world outside of the USA and b) adventures!!

cheers, Vid
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Mike Taylor

Y'know, Vid, I agree with you. Now, if only some of our posters from outside of the United States would come up with some material. ;)

If you go to NMI's website, I have an updated timeline that hints at goings on in Mexico.

http://home.insightbb.com/~nmi/systems_ ... meline.htm
Mike Taylor

Beanie, it just flat out wasn't selling. In spite of the fact that it was a FUN setting, they didn't move a whole lot of those books. Oh, and could ya cut back on some of those "ooooooooo"s? It's got my screen all stretched out. :eek:
Mike Taylor

Now if you guys are looking for more Organitech goodies, I have the Rossum Organitech Combat Walker. Plus Carmen has his new Splicers game which could be mined for ideas.
Mike Taylor

Some of us have already done so and more of us will in the future.
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

el bobbio wrote:It's hardly a surprise when you think about it though. Palladium keeps putting more books out for Rifts rather than SF or Nightbane because Rifts moves units. Kevin and co. need to eat after all, and I doubt the profits from a Systems Failure sourcebook would be enough to cover a night out at McDonalds.

yeah, but I wonder why they do so many systems with just a few books released for them....if its all RIFTS, RIFTS, RIFTS it would be more honest to do RIFTS and nothing else. uhm. looking at the press-release, thats just what they do anyway!
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Rayven
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rayven »

I was the first person in my group (and next-to-last, as only one other person owns it) to get SF. Good source material for Nightspawnbane if you ask me. I really don't like it as a stand alone game (but, then again, I have yet to play a PB game in and of itself. Even the HU2 game I was in had a Rifts character). I just wish they had printed the higher tier bugs...that'd have been cool. Ah, well. Que cera, cera.
My Sig Box wrote:Welcome to my pants.~JM_Zen
Prepare to die, rebel scum.~Prettz
That's awesome, you get the Geronimo Award for Customer Service.~Geronimo
My eyelids aren't fat! They're big boned!~Zerebus
listen to Rayven.~Becky
Eating tacos with a friend doesnt make you gay.~Cherico

897 Geek points
Warpig
Wanderer

DANGIT

Unread post by Warpig »

WHAT A SHAME!

SF had the most potential to be the best RPG for me and my friends, we even started playing with it a little. We all made characters of ourselves in RL and pretty much went from there and everything practically played itself. nothing was simpler and more fun in any RPG than doing that.
Mike Taylor

Warpig, look at it the way Bill Coffin and I do, with one book you have an incredible amount of creative freedom. You can do whatever the hell you want and not worry about some pinhead screaming bloody murder over contradicting official material. Want Mexico to become the next global superpower after the Bugs are smashed? Go for it! Want to add good guy Bugs from a mutated swarm? Knock yourself out!
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Vidynn wrote:
el bobbio wrote:It's hardly a surprise when you think about it though. Palladium keeps putting more books out for Rifts rather than SF or Nightbane because Rifts moves units. Kevin and co. need to eat after all, and I doubt the profits from a Systems Failure sourcebook would be enough to cover a night out at McDonalds.

yeah, but I wonder why they do so many systems with just a few books released for them....if its all RIFTS, RIFTS, RIFTS it would be more honest to do RIFTS and nothing else. uhm. looking at the press-release, thats just what they do anyway!

Rifts sales, but that doesn't mean other books don't. They just don't sell as well. It's like a store I go to and the owner was asked by a kid "why don't you just sell magic". He said "Magic pays the bills, but the rest of the stuff keeps me in an open market". It's good to have diversity.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
lordgarvan

Unread post by lordgarvan »

What we did to get people here to play (and it is a Great Game) was to start as a BtS game, with characters from that and entro the bugs at 0101001. Went over really good.

Thanks Mike for the website!!

:-)
Mike Taylor

Huh?
Mike Taylor

open_sketchbook wrote:Will, I'm just thinking here, why shouldn't Palladium make a expansion for Systems Failure?

Because the book is at the bottom of the list in terms of sales. They made a big deal out of it in 1999 and it still wasn't their number one (or even top five) seller. Why put money into supporting product that isn't moving? Much as I like the game, as somebody who works in retail and has watched dead (nonselling) product eat up precious store shelf space, I have to say the decision NOT to support it was smart.

Rifts is pretty much the bread & butter of Palladium Books. It is the line that makes the most money, so it gets the most attention in terms of product releases.
Mike Taylor

Or use it as fodder for Splicers. Oh, and welcome, Corgan.
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

If its any consulation I am working on some ideas for SF. I thought that it would be cool to introduce new baddies and inventions and villians and heroes of the SF universe. However its still an idea in the rough and needs some clean up time. My luck that it'll end up in a rifter. :)
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Zachary The First wrote:
Mike Taylor wrote:Well, to be honest, it was one of their poorest sellers.

Wondr what their poorest seller was...I should think Recon.

They bundled Revised and Advanced Recon into one book. Had to be somewhat popular, no?

I like the posts about using your own imagination. I make it a point not to buy sourcebooks, worldbooks or new games. I only need one rulebook. Everything else comes from within.

Regarding the money aspect. Take a page from the Open Source movement. Are the folks at PB motivated by passion or money?

If you want to SF stuff, get a website and post your stuff; post it here. Don't hold your breath and wait for PB to do... you'll turn blue.
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

lather wrote:If you want to SF stuff, get a website and post your stuff; post it here. Don't hold your breath and wait for PB to do... you'll turn blue.

I am not going to answer the statement about passion, but somethings are worth trying to submit. It doesnt hurt to try. I have been published and I admit that your work is more closely watched when you know that you are going to submit it to a magazine.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Zenvis wrote:
lather wrote:If you want to SF stuff, get a website and post your stuff; post it here. Don't hold your breath and wait for PB to do... you'll turn blue.

I am not going to answer the statement about passion, but somethings are worth trying to submit. It doesnt hurt to try. I have been published and I admit that your work is more closely watched when you know that you are going to submit it to a magazine.

They may very well publish stuff in rifter. Might not be a bad idea.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

I did not intend my remarks to be disparaging.

I am not opposed to Palladium folks making (good) money off their product. Congratulations and good for them.

I have played Palladium exclusively in my role-playing and I am not likely to play another game. But I really am opposed to the idea of paying $20 for 150 words and 150+ pages of fluff I will never use. Of everyone I know who role play Palladium, I am the only one with an account on the forums or regularly browse the website. I do not know how indicative that is in general, but my friends never even thought to look for Palladium's website.

I just get eatten a bit by the comment along the lines of "if we were not getting paid, nothing good would be produced"...which simply is not true.

Return to “Systems Failure™”