Has anyone made their own Iconic Frameworks?

Welcome to the Palladium Books destination for all things Savage Rifts™. Please keep conversions to items, people, etc found in the various Rifts books and/or Savage Rifts books.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

clawingwolf
Explorer

Has anyone made their own Iconic Frameworks?

Unread post by clawingwolf »

Just wondering if anyone has made their own Iconic Frameworks?

The Savage RIFTS Players Handbook for instance is missing one of my favorite OCC the Shifter. Just not sure how to make it for Savage Rifts
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Has anyone made their own Iconic Frameworks?

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

clawingwolf wrote:Just wondering if anyone has made their own Iconic Frameworks?

The Savage RIFTS Players Handbook for instance is missing one of my favorite OCC the Shifter. Just not sure how to make it for Savage Rifts

Fortunately, Sean Patrick Fannon created the Shifter Iconic Framework as an example in the Savaging Your Favorite Rifts® Ideas, which is a free download over on Pinnacle's site. It also gives some general guidelines on how to port over your other favorites, into Savage Rifts.

EDIT: The Shifter Iconic Framework starts on page 9 of the PDF. :)
-Chris
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
clawingwolf
Explorer

Thank you

I had no idea this PDF existed.
clawingwolf
Explorer

So I just read the Shifter and have to say I'm not a fan at all, I think it misses the mark on what makes a Shifter a Shifter. There is no link to a greater supernatural being, so also no tiny communication Rift to communicate with that being for advice there is no teleport back to home dimension and other than the sense dimensional has no real dimensional travel aspect.

I really feel they just focused on the summoning aspect only. Missing the Supernatural link and dimensional travel.
Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Supergyro »

palladiumjunkie wrote:Fortunately, Sean Patrick Fannon

It's like they said "Do you know who should write this?.. Only someone with the most Irish name imaginable...." and though Eamon Fergus Collins was unavailable Sean Patrick Fannon had an opening in his schedule.
"The key is your mind, control and master it. Doing that will not only master your body, but also enable you to shape the world around you to your every desire."

---Said by a Psyscape teacher to a class of Psi Warriors
---Said by a Mindwerks technician, before he drills the hole in your skull
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Unread post by blackwingedheaven »

Someone on the Pinnacle forums had requested a Kryptonian Iconic Framework, so I put one together.

Iconic Framework: Kryptonian
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Umm ok I just read that so theirs no one in savage rifts that can open a rift cold? They need to manipulate existing rifts?
clawingwolf
Explorer

Yes as far as I have read this seems to be true. This is along the lines of the discussions I'm having in the Pinnacle Forum, where I'm just saying, I don't like the shifter because in Savage RIFTS because its missing what I think are core abilities of the Shifter. Also the thread is turning out to be good source of Fan Made Iconic Framesworks. http://www.pegforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=52148
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Riftmaker wrote:Umm ok I just read that so theirs no one in savage rifts that can open a rift cold? They need to manipulate existing rifts?

Take a look in the GMG, p 94 and 95. Most folks make the roll at -4; the Shifter Iconic framework gets a +4, which cancels that out. This is to "open or manipulate" a Rift. It also specifies (a bit earlier) that the ability to open Rifts will be covered in a later supplement.

For myself, I don't consider the supernatural link to be a part of the core idea of the shifter... that's the witch's schtick, that a shifter only samples. It's similar, IMO, to a techno-wizard's loss of psionics.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Freemage
Explorer

Unread post by Freemage »

As I noted in the PEG Forum discussion, if you want to have a Shifter bound to an extraplanar entity, take the Vow (Major) Hindrance. If the thing is also giving you advice, use the points from that Hindrance to take New Power (Divination). Presto, you're now shackled to service of an alien entity who whispers in your ear. :-)

Savage Worlds in general works like that a lot--very often, what you're looking for is available, with just a little re-skinning of the existing material.

Return to “Savage Rifts™”