Why "Old Style" Dead Boys?

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Why "Old Style" Dead Boys?

Unread post by bathawk »

Now that the kickstarter has launched, I'm very curious....for the miniatures if nothing else

Still, was disapointed with them using "old style" Deadboys that haven't been part of the Coalition States for over a couple of decades, while I admit they still look good, it does give kind of a "dated" look to the product
jcfiala
D-Bee

Re: Why "Old Style" Dead Boys?

Unread post by jcfiala »

bathawk wrote:Now that the kickstarter has launched, I'm very curious....for the miniatures if nothing else

Still, was disapointed with them using "old style" Deadboys that haven't been part of the Coalition States for over a couple of decades, while I admit they still look good, it does give kind of a "dated" look to the product

Apparently the game is dated in 109 P.A. according to the comments.

(Speaking of which - big war happening in the comments between backers who want RIFTS and backers of Robotech who are dissatisfied.)
-----
John Fiala
Will Run Conventions for Food
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

looking at the maps that come with it, i'd say the default scenarios might be set in the Burbs. old style armor is more common with the troops used in such locations in the CS.

plus lets face it.. the old style skull armor is more well known than the CWC suits, by players.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I was happy to see the old style armor as I prefer it to the new stuff, especially the dog boys in the light riot armor.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

glitterboy2098 wrote:looking at the maps that come with it, i'd say the default scenarios might be set in the Burbs. old style armor is more common with the troops used in such locations in the CS.

plus lets face it.. the old style skull armor is more well known than the CWC suits, by players.

Bingo. ISS uses old style armor, and like you say, it's more iconic. Of course I'm sure there are younger players who never bothered with the old style because they came to the game after CWC...
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

MADMANMIKE wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:looking at the maps that come with it, i'd say the default scenarios might be set in the Burbs. old style armor is more common with the troops used in such locations in the CS.

Bingo. ISS uses old style armor, and like you say, it's more iconic. Of course I'm sure there are younger players who never bothered with the old style because they came to the game after CWC...

And it lets them issue the new armor minis…eerrr Game Tokens... for the game later on if the game takes off in supplemental Adventure Packs and/or boards.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

in my own take on the setting, i also have the different states with their own 'look' using the different canon items.

units that originate from Chi-town and Lone Star have the most of the new gear, specifically the 'anime' look armor and the similar looking PA and bots.
Iron Heart is the creator of the newer gear that still has the older aesthetic. (like the striker SAMAS, skullsmasher, etc.)
the Classic gear from RMB/RUE (CA-1/2, C-10, C-12, C-18, etc) is the 'standard' gear for most CS states. mainly because those states with limited weapons manufacturing receive most of the retired gear from the Chitown and Iron Heart forces. and what manufacturing they do have is usually geared for those older models as well.

so a unit that originated in CS Missouri would generally have all classic gear, an iron heart unit is likely to be using older armor but the newer guns, a Chitown unit is all shiny in the skeleton armor, a lonestar unit has the newest gear but lots of mutant animals, etc. since the CS moves army units around as needed and to ensure each unit gets experiance (so a Chitown regiment might be stationed in missouri, and a missouri unit assigned to the magic zone border, etc) you an run into just about any states force anywhere the CS is.. but knowing where the unit is from will help gauge how they will react and behave.. a CS missouri unit might be more inclined to overlook a few Dbees or minor magic/Psi, while a Chi-town unit is more likely to be hardline on the CS policies and more liekly to burn down a tow,etc..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”