Snowman Monster

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Snowman Monster

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Long story less long my son just turned 1 year old and that means I have been subjected to a few hours of mindless children's shows for a while now including a horrifying Winnie the Pooh Christmas special. This movie which has been haunting my nightmares for a few weeks now has a scene with a large number of snowmen that lead our heroes to Santa Clause.

My question is simple, is there a monster that would work as this kind of traditional snowman for use in BTS?
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Re: Snowman Monster

Unread post by mrloucifer »

More details may be needed here.

What's the show/movie? (not familiar with it)

What does this snowman do?

With the info given thus far, it sounds like a tectonic entity to be the way to go.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

mrloucifer wrote:More details may be needed here.

What's the show/movie? (not familiar with it)

What does this snowman do?

With the info given thus far, it sounds like a tectonic entity to be the way to go.

Like I said in the movie they are sort of the welcoming committee for Santa's village but for purposes of the game I was just thinking any creature that could look like a traditional snowman when the players first see it and then when stuff goes down it is all the sudden trying to eat them. Mainly it's children's shows melting my brain but I thought it might be something novel for a game set during the holidays or even in a place like Alaska.

My first thought went to tectonic entity but I thought there might be something else since I have used those a million times.

I also thought maybe someone had already done it or maybe in a Rifter that I missed.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Hmm... one of the sourcebooks I have on the back burner is a "Childish Nightmares" book, dedicated to children characters and children based monsters. Its more or less a pile of notes right now, but I'll take a peek to see if something clicks for this.

If not, I'll design something... you may be hearing from me to talk ideas. :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

mrloucifer wrote:Hmm... one of the sourcebooks I have on the back burner is a "Childish Nightmares" book, dedicated to children characters and children based monsters. Its more or less a pile of notes right now, but I'll take a peek to see if something clicks for this.

This sounds like an amazing book. I have been listening to The Dresden Files on Audible for the last year or so and a lot of the monsters in that tradition so that could be a great addition to all of Palladium games.

mrloucifer wrote:If not, I'll design something... you may be hearing from me to talk ideas. :)

I have no firm ideas but there is a scene in the movie, linked above, where Pooh and friends are surrounded by snowmen and then the snowmen burst into song. I thought wouldn't it be cool if the players saw a bunch of snowmen in people's yards on the bad guy's house and then when they come out those snowmen are surrounding them ready to break into combat.

Not sure of ideas past that but if I can help I will.
mrloucifer

Warshield73 wrote:I have no firm ideas but there is a scene in the movie, linked above, where Pooh and friends are surrounded by snowmen and then the snowmen burst into song. I thought wouldn't it be cool if the players saw a bunch of snowmen in people's yards on the bad guy's house and then when they come out those snowmen are surrounding them ready to break into combat.

Kinda reminds me of the snowmen in the Krampus movie.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

mrloucifer wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:I have no firm ideas but there is a scene in the movie, linked above, where Pooh and friends are surrounded by snowmen and then the snowmen burst into song. I thought wouldn't it be cool if the players saw a bunch of snowmen in people's yards on the bad guy's house and then when they come out those snowmen are surrounding them ready to break into combat.

Kinda reminds me of the snowmen in the Krampus movie.

I've never seen that movie but I'm a sucker for a monster that looks good before it eats you.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Right off the bat I'd say the Little Ice Monster from the Water Elementals...just soften the appearance to be less 'crystalline terror' and more 'abominable snow-goon'.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:Right off the bat I'd say the Little Ice Monster from the Water Elementals...just soften the appearance to be less 'crystalline terror' and more 'abominable snow-goon'.

Oh I like it. Maybe have the snowman be an outer shell so you shoot the smiling snowman and underneath is a terrifying ice monster.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”