Umm, dumb question.

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Holister
Adventurer

Umm, dumb question.

Unread post by Holister »

Hello everyone. Long time no hear.

I know that the BTS 2e came out in 2005, and now it is 2020. So how much of the info is outdated such as skills and what not? I know that technology, science, and other knowledge have advanced alot since 2005, not to mention new leaps in strides in equipment, vehicles, weapons, and again technology (a gremlin's paradise, tell me am I right or what). Just look how far cell phones and computers have come since 2005. Heck even a 5 year old can use a computer or smart phone these days.

So my dumb question is this ever going to be addressed in future suppliments at all, or is it a moot point right about now.

Another question is directed toward players & GMs. Have any of you homebrewed anything to adapt to this such as your own skills or new equipment, etc?

Well I will let this question simmer for awhile and be back to check on the responses.
Ask yourself this;
"Say what now?"
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Re: Umm, dumb question.

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

I would vote moot point whereas we are still waiting on the two supplemental books that were originally supposed to come out shortly after the 2e core books.

As far as updating skills and equipment, I actually do the opposite and run my games in the 1980's so that I don't have to worry about it :lol:
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Holister
Adventurer

Captain_Nibbz wrote:As far as updating skills and equipment, I actually do the opposite and run my games in the 1980's so that I don't have to worry about it :lol:

lol....this best time for horror...no cell phones. :D
Ask yourself this;
"Say what now?"
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Holister wrote:
Captain_Nibbz wrote:As far as updating skills and equipment, I actually do the opposite and run my games in the 1980's so that I don't have to worry about it :lol:

I just give my PC's AT&T. It's even more frightening when your phone just doesn't work.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Warshield73 wrote:
Holister wrote:

I just give my PC's AT&T. It's even more frightening when your phone just doesn't work.

Wasn't it just T-Mobile where the WHOLE network just went down? Wonder if they got sued like Blackberry did when their service went down. :(
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Bah, every single cell service has blind spots. Cell phones can be potentially scarier. Landlines had to be cut or tapped depending on desired effect. Cells can be jammed and hacked and there is nothing like letting your PC's get an app that scan IR and UV with a handy add on or even granting them a smartphone based PKE meter.

Instead of showing a reading your PKE smartphone app shows static overlayed on a black screen. Later your tech realizes it is an image and after compiles multiple frames. It is a nondescript face that looks like it is talking and even though the DVR didn't have anything recorded at the site the data light comes on as soon as the tech compiles the images. "You've found me," is all it says. You delete the message and the light goes out. "Dang, that would have been scarier if I heard that recording back at the house," you say. ...the data light comes on again. You press play, "Well what about now." The face is smiling and looking up at you from the phone.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Zer0 Kay wrote:Bah, every single cell service has blind spots.

I'm a Big John Oliver fan so I will always trash the "business daddy".

Zer0 Kay wrote:Cell phones can be potentially scarier. Landlines had to be cut or tapped depending on desired effect. Cells can be jammed and hacked and there is nothing like letting your PC's get an app that scan IR and UV with a handy add on or even granting them a smartphone based PKE meter.

I played in a BTS game at a POH years back and my characters smart phone actually had some of these, but no PKE.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Warshield73 wrote:

Zer0 Kay wrote:Cell phones can be potentially scarier. Landlines had to be cut or tapped depending on desired effect. Cells can be jammed and hacked and there is nothing like letting your PC's get an app that scan IR and UV with a handy add on or even granting them a smartphone based PKE meter.

I played in a BTS game at a POH years back and my characters smart phone actually had some of these, but no PKE.

(character in game) Well of course not. :D Everyone knows PKE meters aren't real. We use electro magnetic field detectors. :D

IIRC the PKE from GB were also called aurascopes so extra no go. If we were to act like real ghost busters and our characters developed a PKE meter to be funny (if GB exists in the game world), it would probably be a device that was a multi-tool and had an EMF, DVR and an IR thermometer. When one sensor senses something you get a lower reading than when all three detect something. It would probably have a headset with a microphone so the microphone can cancel out your voice when ever you speak and the setup would only ping on sudden changes in air temperature.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Warshield73 wrote:

Was this one of my games?
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

One of the running themes that will be explored more in future sourcebooks is how magic energy and the supernatural play havoc on technology, and smartphones are as susceptible as anything else. In fact, there will be some notes on this in the upcoming Creature Feature sourcebook.

I should know, I wrote it. :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

mrloucifer wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

Was this one of my games?

I honestly have no way to remember. I mostly run games at POH and I spend most of the rest of my time stalking the artists and writers so I only play in 2 to 4 games per POH so you would think I could remember but no. I also play more BTS at POH than any game except Rifts. Could have been though.

mrloucifer wrote:One of the running themes that will be explored more in future sourcebooks is how magic energy and the supernatural play havoc on technology, and smartphones are as susceptible as anything else. In fact, there will be some notes on this in the upcoming Creature Feature sourcebook.

I should know, I wrote it. :)

Wow, somebodies going to be dining out on that one for a while. Sorry not impressed here, I'm waiting for you to actually write Arcanum then I might be impressed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jasper
Explorer

Unread post by Jasper »

When my campaign ended the timeline was only up to 1998 so I don't have to worry about technological advancement that way. Also keep in mind that BTS Earth is not OUR Earth. You can delay or advance technology as you wish. Heck, in my world I changed whole major cities around due to past supernatural conflicts.
But yeah, I get your point. Technology has advanced so much in certain areas that BTS2 could use a skill update in certain areas.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jasper wrote:When my campaign ended the timeline was only up to 1998 so I don't have to worry about technological advancement that way. Also keep in mind that BTS Earth is not OUR Earth. You can delay or advance technology as you wish. Heck, in my world I changed whole major cities around due to past supernatural conflicts.
But yeah, I get your point. Technology has advanced so much in certain areas that BTS2 could use a skill update in certain areas.

I think my favorite BTS games are all set pre-2000 probably. It is just one of those settings that feels more interesting in a setting were you use books instead of internet and not everyone has a smart phone. Now of course any setting can be fun when placed in the 1930's or WWI or WWII but even in periods I don't normally like to play like 1960's or even (gulp) 1980's have been some of my favorite BTS games.
mrloucifer

Jasper wrote:Technology has advanced so much in certain areas that BTS2 could use a skill update in certain areas.

Some examples? I'm taking notes for sourcebook materials.
–H.P. Lovecraft

mrloucifer

Cellphones are great GM tools... they lull the characters into a face sense of security by having them.

Flashlight apps are great, until the power crap out. Cameras, UV and IR simulators are spotty at best (especially in range of supernatural beings and entities as magic energies are troubling to tech). The cell coverage is a mess in most of the places the supernatural dwells. And really... unless modified as a psi-mechanics tool, what help do cell phones truly offer against the supernatural? :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

Holister
Adventurer

mrloucifer wrote:
Jasper wrote:Technology has advanced so much in certain areas that BTS2 could use a skill update in certain areas.

Some examples? I'm taking notes for sourcebook materials.

You should check out my most recent skill list at the Black Rabbit Game home page on FB. Heck, I can send you a bridged version if you want.
Ask yourself this;
"Say what now?"
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Warshield73 wrote:
Holister wrote:

I'm not understanding this. I've had AT&T practically my whole life and never had trouble with their service.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Holister wrote:Hello everyone. Long time no hear.

I know that the BTS 2e came out in 2005, and now it is 2020. So how much of the info is outdated such as skills and what not? I know that technology, science, and other knowledge have advanced alot since 2005, not to mention new leaps in strides in equipment, vehicles, weapons, and again technology (a gremlin's paradise, tell me am I right or what). Just look how far cell phones and computers have come since 2005. Heck even a 5 year old can use a computer or smart phone these days.

So my dumb question is this ever going to be addressed in future suppliments at all, or is it a moot point right about now.

Another question is directed toward players & GMs. Have any of you homebrewed anything to adapt to this such as your own skills or new equipment, etc?

Well I will let this question simmer for awhile and be back to check on the responses.

Honestly, a significant portion of the tech stuff was already out of date by the time the book was published. I think Captain Nibbz is right when placing the game in the '80s.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”