New Rifts novel: Duty's Edge - is ready to ship now

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Re: New Rifts novel: Duty's Edge - is ready to ship now

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Hoping to dive into this soon.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Josh Hilden wrote:Congratulations to Mr. Erwin. It always feels amazing to see your work published.

Thank you! And yes, it does indeed!
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

The prologue right at the start grabs your attention. The pace is great and the words flow naturally off the page which makes the characters feel real. I also enjoy the realism and
seemingly accurate depictions. Writing about a real place makes it pop easily in your mind even if the place is imaginary. I haven't finished the book yet I will congratulate Will on an
excellent written book.
claramax600
Newb

Unread post by claramax600 »

Is this book available? actually just saw your thread, because just arrived here, I love to read books in fact I have huge collections of books, and for me its the best therapy for relaxing our mind, I also do prefer to read novels, anyways if it's available so plz let me know.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

claramax600 wrote:Is this book available? actually just saw your thread, because just arrived here, I love to read books in fact I have huge collections of books, and for me its the best therapy for relaxing our mind, I also do prefer to read novels, anyways if it's available so plz let me know.

Yes, it's available. You can order a physical copy here, and you can order a PDF copy here.

There may be an ebook version available at some point, too.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Loved the book. Hoping Mr. Erwin can elucidate on the difference between Crystal and Stone in the book.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Mlp7029 wrote:Loved the book. Hoping Mr. Erwin can elucidate on the difference between Crystal and Stone in the book.

Glad to do so. There are three tiers of shaped Trinitite:

The lowest tier is made from loose, gravelly chunks of trinitite, called Kibs, which can also be fused together into larger objects, known as Glass items. Either way, this is an MDC material that can store I.S.P. and can form melee weapons and armor. Objects made with this can also store single activations of a psionic power.

The second tier is Crystal, which comes from larger, purer chunks of trinitite. They can do what Glass or Kibs can do, but they also focus and enhance a single psychic power. You might call them amplifiers. In earlier drafts, I sometimes called these Stones, though I we changed all those references to Crystals.

Soul-Stones are rare, precious objects of trinitite that have significant power that manifests in unique ways. In some ways, they can amplify powers like a Crystal, but they have other powers as well. They're somewhat like rune weapons in that they will select and serve only one person at a time, and they cannot be taken by force, only freely given.

If you'd like to see some playable game versions of what you see in the novel, please do let us know. Rex Barkdoll and I have statted out quite a bit of the content in Duty's Edge, including some game mechanics for Glass, Crystals, and Soul-Stones. It might be fun to turn the novel's content into a sourcebook.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

There is some dialogue in one of the early chapters that describes this; I think it’s the third chapter in.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Hotrod wrote:There is some dialogue in one of the early chapters that describes this; I think it’s the third chapter in.

I have the book but it will be a while before I can read it. Apparently having an infant at home really cuts down on the reading time but I will get to it sooner or later. That being said are you going to provide some gaming stats for some of the things in the book?
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Arrow21570
D-Bee

Unread post by Arrow21570 »

Thank you for this book in general, and for expanding the content in this part of the Rifts world. I have not finished the book yet, but I love it so far. I would definitely love to see stats for the new things presented in the book and ideally a sourcebook.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Arrow21570 wrote:Thank you for this book in general, and for expanding the content in this part of the Rifts world. I have not finished the book yet, but I love it so far. I would definitely love to see stats for the new things presented in the book and ideally a sourcebook.

Thanks for the interest! I'm certainly open to making a companion sourcebook for Duty's Edge. I submitted a few O.C.C.'s and item stats from the novel to Palladium to consider for publishing in this year's Rifter.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Hotrod wrote:
Arrow21570 wrote:Thank you for this book in general, and for expanding the content in this part of the Rifts world. I have not finished the book yet, but I love it so far. I would definitely love to see stats for the new things presented in the book and ideally a sourcebook.

Thanks for the interest! I'm certainly open to making a companion sourcebook for Duty's Edge. I submitted a few O.C.C.'s and item stats from the novel to Palladium to consider for publishing in this year's Rifter.

Hope they accept them. While we are certain never to have a Rifts Middle East you did a nice job overall giving Palladium fans a respectable and realistic environment to play with.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Reagren Wright wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

Hope they accept them. While we are certain never to have a Rifts Middle East you did a nice job overall giving Palladium fans a respectable and realistic environment to play with.

Thanks! Ultimately, it's up to Kevin. If he's game, we could make it happen. We've kind of broached it as a topic already, really, since Duty's Edge has a map of the Rifts Middle East as its cover, and it explored much of that region.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”