What kind of Rifts stories would you like to see??

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

Re: What kind of Rifts stories would you like to see??

Unread post by Hotrod »

Many writers I know have rules for their writing. Here are mine:

#1 Rule of Writing: show, don't tell. It's a lot better to show a character's courage by having that character do brave things than to say "this person is brave." A horrifying example of this done badly is the introduction of Michael Burnham in Star Trek: Discovery, in which half the characters say that she's very smart/competent, but all her actions say otherwise. A good example of this done well is the introduction of Rey in The Force Awakens, where we see five minutes of character-defining action with little to no dialogue (what they do with Rey later is less good, but her introduction was compelling and evocative).

#2 Focus on characters, especially with their dialogue/interactions. Each significant character should have distinct speech patterns, gestures, motivations and personalities, and these should develop as you go. Their choices should make sense from their perspective.

#3 Keep the story moving. Something significant should happen in every chapter. Similarly, relationships between characters should change, evolve, or have some kind of back and forth. If you ever find yourself dedicating an entire chapter to a wedding ceremony that doesn't involve something else happening that is significant and unexpected, just toss that chapter in the bin, summarize it with a short paragraph, and move on.

#4 Keep your characters grounded. Heroes do what's needed, but they don't always do it well.

#5 Include some mundane with the fantastical. If everything is super, then nothing is.

#6 Wounds are 1% infliction and 99% recovery. This goes for the physical and the psychological.

#7 Violence has consequences. Don't hide or sugar-coat them.

#8 Happy endings, if you have them, must be bought and paid for. Make your characters earn them.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: What kind of Rifts stories would you like to see??

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I'd like one that a group of adventures that are heavily dependent on their tech, be thrown into a world where all their toys don't work.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”