Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » All Things Palladium Books®

Post subject: Keeping it PG.
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Champion

Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.
Hey. got my kids involved in a rifts game playing mutant animals in a small village in the new west. So are we hava corrup t sherrif and a few skelebots on long distance patrol. I am looking for ideas how to keep this PG. any thoughts?

Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.

Post subject: Re: Keeping it PG.
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

What ages?

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:30 pm

Palladin

Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.
Pretty simple. It is all in the details. You are GM so you can describe it however you want. It can be as basic as "you hit them. You knocked them out." to "You killed them." you don't have to R rated in any way to play the game. Any and all details will be brought in by you, so you know how to restrain what facts for your children. Honestly, for my 9 year old daughter I would only sensor the extreme sexual stuff. I'm cool with her watching R rated movies I have screened as long as they don't go too far in that direction. We talk about it, but we don't need to watch it or roleplay it.

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Palladin

I know there were also a few recent Rifter articles about the topic of playing with younger players.

"The Devil's among us!

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:39 pm

Champion

Bill wrote:
What ages?

8 and 6. I have been gming for 20 years but never to a young crowd so i am looking for suggestions.

Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Champion

Jorel wrote:
I know there were also a few recent Rifter articles about the topic of playing with younger players.

i have read them. i give the kids the books and they are thrilled about the game. I am just trying to keep it thematically PG without getting boring for either of us.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Greyaxe wrote:
Hey. got my kids involved in a rifts game playing mutant animals in a small village in the new west. So are we hava corrup t sherrif and a few skelebots on long distance patrol. I am looking for ideas how to keep this PG. any thoughts?

Say "Gosh-Darn!", "Crud", "Fudge", and "Monkey Fighter" instead of... you know, the other stuff.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: Lord of Chaos!
Greyaxe wrote:

Do you mean where to go with the plot?

1. corrupt sherif is a slave trader and is selling the down trodden to the black market.
2. Corrupt sherif lets bad guys get away with stuff because they pay the sherif off.
3. Corrupt sherif is picking out those he doesn't like and is placing them in the path of the skelbots. This helps the town but only in that it keeps the skelbots away.

Skelbots get closer with each day. If they discover the ton the cs will blast it. Get rid of the skelbots before they find the town.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:59 pm

Champion

Carl Gleba wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:

Do you mean where to go with the plot?

1. corrupt sherif is a slave trader and is selling the down trodden to the black market.
2. Corrupt sherif lets bad guys get away with stuff because they pay the sherif off.
3. Corrupt sherif is picking out those he doesn't like and is placing them in the path of the skelbots. This helps the town but only in that it keeps the skelbots away.

Skelbots get closer with each day. If they discover the ton the cs will blast it. Get rid of the skelbots before they find the town.

Great suggestions, thanks.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:33 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: Success is reflective of passion.
Imagine the game in more of a Saturday morning cartoon style and play it like that. All bullets are lasers. No blood. If someone gets hit they just pass out instead of dieing. That is how I would try to imagine it and paint the picture for them.

GMing Currently: D&D5e
Playing Currently: D&D5e
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/juce734 (please check out)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Champion

Think old G.I. Joe cartoon, Transformers and other stuff like that for theme and how to keep things PG.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

I agree with Juce. Scooby Doo it up. Lots of puns, slapstick comedy, and silliness. In fact, you might even use the Scooby Doo Plot Generator. I'd throw in a token human side-kick to feed them clues.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:55 pm

Champion

Greyaxe wrote:
Bill wrote:
What ages?

8 and 6. I have been gming for 20 years but never to a young crowd so i am looking for suggestions.

That's how old i was when i started playing Tmnt. Hold back on the sexual stuff , amp up the violence to 11, but tone down the gore. For us the GM told a story that drew out the most raddical videogame we could imagine in our head. Ahh the late 8o's were great. It was epic. But seriously, talk to ur kids and see what they like. Ohh and looting kids love looting

Also contact Razzinoid. He started playing with his daughter. He should have pointers

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Champion

Bill wrote:
I agree with Juce. Scooby Doo it up. Lots of puns, slapstick comedy, and silliness. In fact, you might even use the Scooby Doo Plot Generator. I'd throw in a token human side-kick to feed them clues.

Or throw in the token human just to "feed" them };-)
Hehehehehe

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Champion

Juce734 wrote:
Imagine the game in more of a Saturday morning cartoon style and play it like that. All bullets are lasers. No blood. If someone gets hit they just pass out instead of dieing. That is how I would try to imagine it and paint the picture for them.

That is a great suggestion. I am going to run with it.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:09 pm

Champion

Bill wrote:

Loving the Scooby Doo theme. The Mysteries etc. great thought. Amused greatly by the generator. a single liner to start he imagination. Very cool the kids will love it.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Hero

Greyaxe wrote:
Bill wrote:
What ages?

Think of all the ways they avoided explicit death and other things in cartoons back in the day. Stick to knock outs and flesh wounds, people parachuting/bailing out of every crashing/exploding vehicle, etc.

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:00 pm

Champion

I don't know that I would ratchet down the violence too much. My eight year old understands that bad guys get killed sometimes. I would, however, leave out the gore. A simple "He's dead" would suffice. I would also encourage the taking of prisoners, nonlethal attacks, banishment and other less violent methods of dealing with bad guys. Even in today's cartoons (Cars 2 for example) they "kill" characters.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:40 am

Palladin

Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.
heroes unlimited, capture and arrest the villian instead of cutting them in half with your railgun.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:57 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

I run convention games and occassionally we get kids at the table. Those little freaks are the biggest gore hounds! I am sure that I have heard "I chop off his arm and the blood goes splooosh all over the other guy!!" at least twice. And those twerps into Star Wars want to chop everyone's head off with their light saber. I mentioned to one tyke that Luke didn't do that and the 6 year old looked at me and said "So??? I'm gonna do it! And then pull down their pants!"

The poor dad was mortified.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:36 am

Palladin

Funny.

"The Devil's among us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:31 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Spinachcat wrote:
I run convention games and occassionally we get kids at the table. Those little freaks are the biggest gore hounds! I am sure that I have heard "I chop off his arm and the blood goes splooosh all over the other guy!!" at least twice. And those twerps into Star Wars want to chop everyone's head off with their light saber. I mentioned to one tyke that Luke didn't do that and the 6 year old looked at me and said "So??? I'm gonna do it! And then pull down their pants!"

Little 7 year olds also swear around their friends to sound cool but that doesn't mean it is ok. I wouldn't let a 7 year old watch something like Walking Dead for example so why would I replicate that gore in a role playing game? Obviously every parent is different but keeping it PG is probably the safest route for a kid that isn't even in middle school yet.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Palladin

If my 9 yr old wanted to watch Walking Dead I would let her. She wants nothin to do with horror. She likes action and Sci-fi, just not when you apply horror to it.

"The Devil's among us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:57 pm

Adventurer

Use Floopers. They're totally PG.

Seriously though, I'm considering running a Chaos Earth game with my 9 year old daughter playing a Chaos Wizard. My daughter has seen plenty of the "doom and gloom" stuff and is an avid reader, so I don't think I have to dumb down the details too much.

"Hence the constant debate and sometimes name calling between self-proclaimed serious or sophisticated gamers and the so-called power gamers or twitchers. But in the end, neither is right or wrong. It all comes down to FUN." -Kevin Siembiedia

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:10 pm

Palladin

Exactly. Know your audience.

"The Devil's among us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:27 pm

D-Bee

My 2 creds: Use psionics (if the PCs have them) and lots of HtH/martial arts combat ala TMNT, power rangers, etc instead of ranged combat (energy gaunlets/vibro claws?). Keep gun use a "very dangerous"/rare event perhaps.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Jorel wrote:
If my 9 yr old wanted to watch Walking Dead I would let her. She wants nothin to do with horror. She likes action and Sci-fi, just not when you apply horror to it.

Juce734 wrote:
Obviously every parent is different but keeping it PG is probably the safest route for a kid that isn't even in middle school yet.

I was exposed to a lot at a young age and I came out well I think. To me it is more of a case by case basis though.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Palladin

I am cool with my oldest watching things when she was the age my younger ones are now. Things I would not let them watch, cause they are more likely to do it to each other. Somehow they process differently and we really end up limiting the middle child's TV exposure. Sure he watches Ninja Turtles and Kung-Fu Panda. I would let her watch Terminator or Conan or just about any Arnold gold if shw was into it. She watched the entire Star Wars trilogy at like 3 and one of the first things she said about it was, "I'm not gonna have kids after what happened to Amidala." That was not my intent on showin it to her, but that is what she took away. Needless to say she has loved Star Wars ever since. Now my middle kid is older than she was, and won't even sit through one of those movies. He'll watch animated stuff, but tunes out when it is anything live action.
All kids are different so you really need to know your audience, and gear your adventures towards that. I wouldn't leave gore out for my eldest, but I may if the younger ones get involved. Mind you they all listen while we game and nobody tones down the language or the descriptive nature of the violence. We have yet to really talk about sex...probably cause of the young ears around.

"The Devil's among us!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Champion

Jorel wrote:
I am cool with my oldest watching things when she was the age my younger ones are now. Things I would not let them watch, cause they are more likely to do it to each other. Somehow they process differently and we really end up limiting the middle child's TV exposure. Sure he watches Ninja Turtles and Kung-Fu Panda. I would let her watch Terminator or Conan or just about any Arnold gold if shw was into it. She watched the entire Star Wars trilogy at like 3 and one of the first things she said about it was, "I'm not gonna have kids after what happened to Amidala." That was not my intent on showin it to her, but that is what she took away. Needless to say she has loved Star Wars ever since. Now my middle kid is older than she was, and won't even sit through one of those movies. He'll watch animated stuff, but tunes out when it is anything live action.
All kids are different so you really need to know your audience, and gear your adventures towards that. I wouldn't leave gore out for my eldest, but I may if the younger ones get involved. Mind you they all listen while we game and nobody tones down the language or the descriptive nature of the violence. We have yet to really talk about sex...probably cause of the young ears around.

Same here. Both of my children are around when I my wife and I game. They get to hear quite a bit of language and violence. The sex is omitted, at least until they are in bed. In the long run, it is all about what you are comfortable exposing them to.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Palladin

I also think the lack of sex in our gaming is because the majority of our players are parents in their 30s with young kids. We really don't want to roleplay sex or the consequences when we are already living with the reality. Also I recall teens doin that much more because sex was a foreign thing to most teens who play PRGs, so a safe place to explore it is in Roleplaying Games. Also I think the few at our table who would go there don't so as to be respectful of my wife who tends to be the only female at out table. No always, but usually.

"The Devil's among us!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:27 am

Champion

Spinachcat wrote:

My son is playing a mutant lizard Gunfighter who in close combat uses a "light saber" a Wilks laser sword. and he makes called strikes to cut of heads all the time. (skelebots). Cracked me up when i saw the Jedi post.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:36 am

Champion

Caldor wrote:
My 2 creds: Use psionics (if the PCs have them) and lots of HtH/martial arts combat ala TMNT, power rangers, etc instead of ranged combat (energy gaunlets/vibro claws?). Keep gun use a "very dangerous"/rare event perhaps.

Good suggestion. unfortunately we are playing Gunfighter mutant animals, guns are in the game quite allot. We havent had a hth fight yet but i am looking forward to the next session where we might just do that.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:51 am

Champion

I have been watching old westerns with the kids along with Rango as we are playing in the new west which dovetails into our game very very well. Its set near the Pecos Empire, in a little town called Liberty. Which is an end point to a secret underground railroad where experiments are freed from Lone Star, a very well kept secret that only a few know about as the ones that are freed are typically young, or new at least. The two players are Gunfighters, who ply their skills salvaging and repairing firearms for the town and travelers who pass through it. It is located very conveniently in the southern trade corridor (black market). Its primary attractions are clean water (which is sold to travelers at outrageous prices) several saloons and gambling establishments as well as strong backs for labour. Many mutants and experiments move on, with these travelers. The local sheriff is a good man, (an experiment from lone star himself) with a gambling addiction who owed a lot of money to the Pecos raiders in gambling debt. He traded a shipment of arms from a local mercenary company to pay this debt only to find himself in hot water from the Mercenary company. Our two gunfighter heroes decide to help and go out to see what they can do. as an random encounter they run into a damaged skelebot platoon, with only three bots left. They fight off the skelebots, who proved to be very poor shots for the first encounter, and used their skills to repair some of the damage. They end up trading the skelebot they fixed for the price of the weapons stolen from the mercenary company. The Sheriff is great full and tells them they will be special deputies from time to time as he needs them. The next adventure will be in the old ghost town near the nexus point not far from liberty. (about 10 miles away). There the scooby doo generator says there is an alien in the ghost town, (thanks for the link by the way) Not sure if it will be a real alien or just something from a rift. We will see next session. Thanks for the help. this is fleshing out nicely.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:03 pm

Palladin

Sounds fun. Great plot for kids.

"The Devil's among us!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:06 am

Adventurer

Comment: Mecha-sized flamethrowers, dudes! *woooooosh* :heart:
I'm sure you can figure something out.