Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » All Things Palladium Books®

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.
Hi there,

something wonderful has happened and now I am at a loss what to do. Advise requested.

I was recently in the Black Forest. Their specialty is bacon. I bought 1 kg, spilt it in half. One for us, one for my oldest friends and fellow gamer since 1984. That all is wonderful but not the thing I mean.

Now, today I took the bacon and my daughters and drove by my friend's place to drop the bacon. What happened is my older two daughters saw my friend's minis and saw his game mats. 

We started to talk about gaming ... 

and ...

My 2 girls who are 13 and 10 want to play next weekend!!!

THAT is the wonderful thing!

Have you played with your own kids? What would be your advise?
What to play?

Kind regards,
Hendrik

Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:24 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Comment: Gin and Tonic
I've always found the fairytale aspect of the fantasy genre are the best way to introduce children under 14 into gaming. I'm 31 and still like Wicked witches and big bad wolves. Den besten Wünschen -bradshaw

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Step 1: Buy More Bacon!
Step 2: Go rules light with the kids. Forget about system, just focus on the storytelling and the roleplay. You may want to bring along your buddy who's a gamer to help, but the focus of the session should be on their characters. Also, write up simple pre-gen characters based on what they would like to play.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: What if the Hokey Pokey really *is* what it's all about?
Behold the power of Bacon!

WotC has free pdf called Monster Slayers: Heroes of Hesiod
LINK: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/MS_HeroesHesiod.pdf
It's basically DnD for kids (age 6 and up!)

"N" is for no survivors!

2 things I've learned from the Internet
1. Star Trek + anything = Awesome
2. LEGOs can do anything

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:42 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Go out and download RPGKids.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:58 pm

D-Bee

:) Aha, you have the chance to experience the wonder of passing the gamer-geek torch on to the next generation. I have 4 kids ranging in age from 4-12 and all of them in one form or another are involved in or interested in gaming. Whether it is banging plastic minis together after counting the pips on d 6's with the 4 year old, the 12 year old GMing the 8 year old in a quick star wars mini game, or my 10 year old girl pestering me to paint her Alicorn, gaming in my home is a family affair. My kids have grown up with gaming, so for us it's just normal I guess. However, I have introduced other friends kids and my nephew to gaming and remember my own introduction at the age of 9. First off, your' kids are the perfect age to begin; not too young to have to be hyper insulated, and not so old as to be jaded by outside influences. Secondly, KEEP IT SIMPLE. Sorry some people just don't get that. Keep character creation to a minimum, don't overload them with too many choices. However, don't run out and get some simplified version teach them what you know and play. Keep the book count to a minimum though. PFRPG or ATB/TMNT are great choices, or just ask them what they want to be or do. I have also found that minis as props make great intro games for younger players. One good way for character creation is to let them pick a mini then build their character around it. You'll be surprised the detail and depth that their fertile minds will provide. Above all have fun and create some great young gamers. :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:34 am

Rifter® Contributer

Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"
I play connect four.

My eldest is only 4 and she doesnt understand connect four yet. Yes she still beat me last time.

I do a bit of roleplaying with the missus but I cant talk about that on these forums.

Nice one Hendrik, find a nice PFRPG scenario for them. Maybe something on Lopan or something..

Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:17 am

Rifter® Contributer

Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.
Hulloo,

thank you all very much, guys!!!

I will definitely buy more bacon, Spinachcat!

I confess I am terribly excited and a bit mortified at the same time (not of the bacon).

Will keep it simple (thanks, Doc Avery & Spinachcat, I agree), though, and concentrate on the storytelling aspect and roll with the blows, so to speak.

Thanks for the advise re RPGKids, Jason, 'though I do not think I want to go with that. I think I will rather go with something I know and rather tone down a wee bit (rules and the nitty gritty part of) PFRPG, is my thought at the moment. Maybe Lopan, Herbie, it is nice there :wink: :-D

Fairy Tale should be great as an entry, thanks, Nick, my friend: A wicked Witch (of the West maybe) and a solid closet to walk through into the realm of fantasy (not Narnia, though) should work just fine!

This will be very interesting because it also will give me a new insight on my own kids. They already love the dice :-D :-D :-D

Kindest regards & will take up those polyhedrons and try to unleash the minds of my girls,
Hendrik

PS: Indeed, bacon is powerful, MT-NME! I assume the age of enlightenment started with a slice of best bacon as well :-D

Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:11 am

Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!
Awesome, Hendrik!!! That is super exciting.

Ninjabunny wrote:
You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote:
The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:
Because DINOSAURS.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Rifter® Contributer

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Awesome, Hendrik!!! That is super exciting.

Abso-bloomin-lutely, Branden, it came completely unexpected, too! I never thought my daughters would be interested in my past time.

Teaches me something about not thinking too much for my daughters. So to speak, if not for the bacon thing I might never have found out or have given a chance for their interest to bud. Frankly, I am very happy but I feel also humbled as a father.

Kindest regards,
Hendrik

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"
for fairy tales I did a one off adventure where the players had to save a dwarven town from a witch. They were given ironshoes to help and told of her location along a certain trail. On the way they were attacked by a scarecrow, an iron golem and a manticore as well as the witches hsigo's. You get the idea (I hope)...

When they finally beat her (she had an obvious phobia of water) they awoke in (we never got this far but it would have been-) the maze or back room in Llorn or the little palladium of desires etc. to applauses from the waiting entrants.

Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:23 pm

Rifter® Contributer

The Dark Elf wrote:
for fairy tales I did a one off adventure where the players had to save a dwarven town from a witch. They were given ironshoes to help and told of her location along a certain trail. On the way they were attacked by a scarecrow, an iron golem and a manticore as well as the witches hsigo's. You get the idea (I hope)...

When they finally beat her (she had an obvious phobia of water) they awoke in (we never got this far but it would have been-) the maze or back room in Llorn or the little palladium of desires etc. to applauses from the waiting entrants.

I like it, wonderfully Oz-y!

Horseshoes? :lol: Silver or red?

Kindest regards
hendrik

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:55 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Ironshoes are runic boots in the LoB book. Double your PP.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Hero

Hendrik wrote:
Hi there,

something wonderful has happened and now I am at a loss what to do. Advise requested.

I was recently in the Black Forest. Their specialty is bacon. I bought 1 kg, spilt it in half. One for us, one for my oldest friends and fellow gamer since 1984. That all is wonderful but not the thing I mean.

Now, today I took the bacon and my daughters and drove by my friend's place to drop the bacon. What happened is my older two daughters saw my friend's minis and saw his game mats. 

We started to talk about gaming ... 

and ...

My 2 girls who are 13 and 10 want to play next weekend!!!

THAT is the wonderful thing!

Have you played with your own kids? What would be your advise?
What to play?

Kind regards,
Hendrik

Preacher asked me to post here, he has had our 18 year old daughter and 17 year old nephew playing in his game for the last 5 years, our 12 year old nephew just joined the game about 6 or 7 months ago. They have a blast!!! You'll be amazed at how well the kids do, they're much less inhibited than a lot of adults. Just roll with it and have fun!

Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:03 am

Rifter® Contributer

The Dark Elf wrote:
Ironshoes are runic boots in the LoB book. Double your PP.

Aaah! Hmmm, Herbie, why did I think ironshoe = horseshoe .... maybe because of "iron shod"?

Maryann wrote:
Preacher asked me to post here, he has had our 18 year old daughter and 17 year old nephew playing in his game for the last 5 years, our 12 year old nephew just joined the game about 6 or 7 months ago. They have a blast!!! You'll be amazed at how well the kids do, they're much less inhibited than a lot of adults. Just roll with it and have fun!

Thank you very much, Maryann & Preacher!

Your words mean much to me.

I think especially parents will understand why I am so excited. It is such a new great opportunity to interface with my children, share something that is so very dear to me, so I do not want to botch it: Yet exactly that line of thought and strain makes a botch more likely.

You nailed it, though. I need to tone myself down a little and, indeed, just need to roll with it and - thanks especially for that line - allow myself to be amazed!

Thank you all very much for your help, advise and soothing words. I feel more grounded again and now altogether more comfy with my tiny surprise miracle thing.

Kindest regards
Hendrik

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:07 pm

D-Bee

Hey Hendrik, just wanting to find out how your' session with your' daughters went?

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:23 am

Rifter® Contributer

Dr. Avery wrote:
Hey Hendrik, just wanting to find out how your' session with your' daughters went?

Hi there,

thank you all very much for your help and for your inquiry, Doc Avery.

In summary: It was a blast and the girls can hardly wait for next time! HOODY HOO!

In more detail:

Yesterday was the great day and I was terribly excited.

Character Generation

Consequently, the first thing I put on my table was my (Coalition) coffee mug and a bowl with baby Oreos. I placed the PFRPG and After the Bomb neatly beside my two dice sets chosen for this day. The routine calmed me some. Milk and the Oreos helped my youngest (3.5 years) to settle down as well which is quite a feat, Calliope is like quicksilver. Each of my other two girls got some Apfelschorle (that is a mix of apple juice and sparkling mineral water quite the rage here) and access to the Oreos as well, placed her dice (which made me very happy just to see that), got pen and pencil and were – clearly – eager to start.

I decided not to go by a specific system, but simply SDC and megaversial, to keep my mind free. I had thought long and hard and weighed in everything you guys told me.

The main point was how I get them in the game without burdening them with to many concepts at once. Mike (Madmanmike) had kindly pointed me to the Teenybopper adventure in BtS 1st ed. which would not have worked because the oldest IS a teenager and does not :-D *grin* want to be told that she is sometimes hysterical. But: It gave me a grand idea. I have to make the character generation less “dry” (it is dry for the uninitiated) and let them interface with the character as smoothly as possible – so teenies they would be (the oldest is a teeny, the youngest is a teeny-wanna-be of course).

I tried set the mood already in character generation: “So, you two are girls in life as in this game. You live in the USA in a suburb. It’s nice there. People are friendly, your parents happy. How old are you, you can be your age, older and younger?” Of course, they went for (slightly) older. I then went on to ask their (game) names, hobbies, best loved colour, best loved music genre – after my youngest said “country” I grinned and put Keith Urban on saying “this you can hear from "Sarah’s" (real name Paula) room”. I asked many more things, always making clear it is their personas thing and must not be the same as their real life interests and things. I wanted for them to get to know their PC and slowly get into the groove. Asking for sports, student jobs and such also gave me valuable information what abilities the PC will have. We had a lot of fun with this kind of character generation “creativity quiz”. One girl worked at an ice cream parlour, the other one at the library (I made clear to them that their parents had allowed that).

They actually only rolled for the basic stats.

Setting / Adventure

The setting was a normal house in a nice suburb in the Ann Arbor / Detroit area, mother a journalist at a newspaper in Ann Arbor, father an engineer with Ford. Both were coming home from work. The oldest one “Lily” (real name Charlotte) came home from the ice cream parlor, went straight to her room without saying much but “hi Mum” and started listening to an audio book (quite realistic roleplaying, that :D ). The youngest one trotted home from the library continuing to read on the way (to which the DM asked whether she was careful with the road crossings which she was so no rolls needed for random encounters there :roll: ) and then sat down in the kitchen to chat with her Mama (also quite realistic roleplaying, that :lol: ).

I had told them that they had found out at work that the people seemed unusually cranky today and that not so many as usually showed up. Then when their father came home that he was in a bad mood, too, and excused himself from the table early which I said is unusual. After dinner the girls wanted to go to their rooms … naturally. “Lily” went first, “Sarah” staying behind with her mother for a moment. She found that the door to the cellar – where their father had that secret room for himself – was slightly ajar … and she heard a sound like coming from a steamengine, hammering pistons and steam being emitted. She also saw some eerie bluish light flicker under the door in rhythm with the humming and hammering from the cellar.

While I was describing this she shouted “I go upstairs and get my foil (her character is fencing as a hobby)” while he sister pleads “am I there, am I there, do I see this” and my youngest looks at me completely transfixed. Nice!!! That was a moment of very intense pride and serenity for me. :-D :-D :-D

It was very exciting for all of us, when they went slowly downstairs. The tension could almost be touched, especially when they saw that there was ankle high “fog” on the ground and the door to the “secret” work room of their father was maybe open, there was even more blue lights and it smelled, oddly, of a forest.

Well, they found their father lying semi-conscious on the steps of a big steam engine babbling “don’t go near” which my daughters flatly denied in chorus … huzzah! ... and after a little to-and-fro with their father, who tries to crawl up the stairs coughing “must save the world” but always breaks down again, my daughters decide “Papa you stay here, we save the world!”. Well, go girls, I think – to the rescue!

On the top of the thing is a rift to another dimension.

What did my girls do? They went to their rooms and packed their bags without stopping for anyone or anything. They went down and ... off through the rift they go … only to find out that after breathing the air for a moment, “Lily” changes to a (fencing) human-squirrel and “Sarah” to a (5 year Karate trainee) human-wolf – I had not asked their favorite animals for nothing :wink: - hello, after the bomb setting!

Kindest regards
Hendrik

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:44 am

D-Bee

Rock awesome!!! You hooked them. The worst problem you'll have from now on is telling them not this weekend lol.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:36 am

Rifter® Contributer

Comment: J.V. Adams
Well done! Excellent way to go. I think that I might try that for my boys as well.

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Palladin

Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.
Great place to start!

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:58 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Can I play? :badbad:

Sounds Awesome mate, gratz.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:32 pm

Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!
That sounds awesome, Hendrik. GREAT JOB!!!

Ninjabunny wrote:
You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote:
The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:
Because DINOSAURS.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points
Sounds like an excellent first game. :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection

Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:43 am

Explorer

Here is a parent who knows how to raise children! If only I had parents like you...

"Can I call you Dadoo?" -Wakko Warner

Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:18 am

Rifter® Contributer

Hiya,

we have managed 1 more session since then. My youngest has joined the party now (because it is just not possible to tell her to take a hike when her sisters play) and she has helped her sister get out of a pit.
My Youngest Daughter wrote:
I can help. I have a pink shovel!

ROTFALMAO!

The Dark Elf wrote:
Can I play? :badbad:
Sounds Awesome mate, gratz.

Thank you, Herbie. Well, if you hop over from England, I would love to game with you anyway!

The Galactus Kid wrote:
That sounds awesome, Hendrik. GREAT JOB!!!

Jorel wrote:
Great place to start!

Xar wrote:
Well done! Excellent way to go. I think that I might try that for my boys as well.

Thank you very much, Brandon, Jorel and Xar!

Dr. Avery wrote:
Rock awesome!!! You hooked them. The worst problem you'll have from now on is telling them not this weekend lol.

Thank you, good Doctor! And, true that!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Sunday was mothers' day here and they wanted to play - cool, they are turning into real gamers :wink: - and it took me the better part of 2 hours to convince them that we cannot play on that day. My wife was riding and there was lots to prepare; the argument accompanied all the way buying flowers, cleaning house etc. But, gods, I was proud! ... And I got told by my eldest "now we have argued so long, we could as well have played"... :lol:

relicandcheese wrote:
Here is a parent who knows how to raise children! If only I had parents like you...
"Can I call you Dadoo?" -Wakko Warner

Sure, son, ;) if it makes you happy.

Seriously, too much honour. Raising children is a rocky road build at best on the mushy ground of good intentions, I find, and I never really know what I do right for the kids and what I don't. Teaching table manners, the please-and-thank-you-s, of course, and such is already hard but is the easy part. I find in the end I can just try to stay true to myself and as relaxed as possible. With gaming, now, that was where I was blind and chance (see above) allowed some redemption, i.e. to get to know my children better and to be allowed to show them more of what is important to me. I am humbled by this and very happy.

Kindest regards
Hendrik