Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » All Things Palladium Books®

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:35 pm

Champion

Comment: Professional Word Monkey
jaymz wrote:
Oh I already think for myself thanks.

One of the reasons why I don't consider a lesbian relationship to be a deviant fetish

But you do you boo.

I wonder what he will think when he gets to the throuple.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:23 pm

Palladin

Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)
Honestly no idea after reading those word salads that I'm assuming were supposed to be coherent.

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/

Last edited by jaymz on Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:16 pm

Dungeon Crawler

jaymz wrote:
One of the reasons why I don't consider a lesbian relationship to be a deviant fetish But you do you boo.

Do you?
Do you think for yourself? Are you sure?
Because all I have witnessed from you is preprogrammed idiosyncrasies, hypocrisy, and being blind to reality.
I feel pity, for you.
Reality always wins.
Your delusions will only cause you pain, suffering.
Your life will be a stream of lies and self justification, excuses for you and mockery for all you don't agree with.

You never once ask if you are right, do you?
Go on, play with yourself, and call it "enlightened, beautiful, self-love" or whatever jazzy name makes you feel snug, smug, and secure...
I won't agree.
I don't appreciate it.
I am NOT your judge.
I am not responsible for whatever may come
That shatters your world.

Warning: Warning for violations of Rule 2. Flaming/ Harrassment

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:28 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Josh Hilden wrote:
wonder what he will think when he gets to the throuple.

That pointless hedonism is pointless.
It is not love. It is not true, and never will be "honest"
Such things are "lust"...

You can have your "cookie" now, but you will never understand
That if you work for real rewards your joy will not be fake and fleeting.

Reality always wins.
Truth is eternal.

Warning: Warning for violation of Rule 2. Flaming/ Harrassment, “Making a post insulting or degrading someone for having a belief, opinion, or lifestyle that is different than your own is flaming.”

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:36 pm

Dungeon Crawler

jaymz wrote:
I'm assuming we're supposed to be coherent.

Lol
Yes. You are.
"Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds"
Are you certain that your programming is coherent?
Truth is consistent, falsehoods will always need more excuses.

"The only people who accept excuses, are those who need them."

Warning: Warning for violations of Rule 2. Flaming/ Harrassment

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:22 am

Dungeon Crawler

I utter a curse, you will never understand but will endlessly suffer from;
you will never have enough...

Warning: Warning for violation of Rule 2. Flaming/ Harrassment, and Rule 1. SPAM

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:40 am

Palladin

Anyone with basic reading comprehension would have understood it was to be read were not we're but you've demonstrated you're not capable of putting sensical and coherent thoughts down so....

Using terms like woke, deviant fetishes, and now hedonism in the ways you have tells on you in so many ways that you seem oblivious too....it is you who should be pitied.

Mods please lock this thread to keep it ftom spiraling even further from this point on.

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:08 am

Champion

Que Paso?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:18 am

Dungeon Crawler

jaymz wrote:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree.

bye.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:54 pm

Palladin

Josh Hilden wrote:
Que Paso?

No idea something blah blah blah word salad

\m/

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:31 pm

Adventurer

Josh Hilden wrote:
jaymz wrote:

One of the reasons why I don't consider a lesbian relationship to be a deviant fetish

But you do you boo.

I wonder what he will think when he gets to the throuple.

Ok, what the hell is a "throuple"?
And how is any of this specious nonsense going on with the three of you adding to the actual conversation about Palladium novels?
Also, why is only one person getting warnings when three people are flaming/ flame-baiting? Do only left-wingnuts get a pass or something?
Can we get back on topic now, please?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:35 pm

Champion

Please show me where I trolled or flame baited.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:39 pm

Champion

And a throuple is a three member relationship.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:40 pm

Adventurer

Josh Hilden wrote:
Please show me where I trolled or flame baited.

Well, since I had to look up what "Que Paso?" means, I was under the impression you were doing so in another language (a dodge I've experienced in the past).

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:41 pm

Champion

I was literally questioning what the heck that guy was saying.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:43 pm

Adventurer

Josh Hilden wrote:
I was literally questioning what the heck that guy was saying.

I figured that out, after I looked it up.
(I think I read once that foreign words/ phrases had to be translated, but I must be wrong, since I also had to look up someone else's French sig.)

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:45 pm

Champion

No harm no foul.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:43 pm

Champion

Fenris2020 wrote:
And how is any of this specious nonsense going on with the three of you adding to the actual conversation about Palladium novels?

Well, it really started as a tangent as it was discussing books written by Josh Hilden, and degraded from there.

Fenris2020 wrote:
Also, why is only one person getting warnings when three people are flaming/ flame-baiting? Do only left-wingnuts get a pass or something?

As already clarified, I wouldn't have called it three people as I believe Josh Hilden has shown a lot of class in the situation.
As an individual, I'd generally not worry as much about psiandco and jaymz sniping each other a bit. Actually, as far as this thread goes, I feel those were some of the tamer stuff. However, since you asked the question, I'll try to add my personal thoughts on the matter (as a non-moderator, but someone who did report at least one post).

First, calling homosexuality a "deviant fetish" should be insulting, regardless if you're left or right. Comparing it to bestiality should also be offensive. This is just an attack on other people's lifestyles. This should be as offensive if I made comments regarding every Christian, or every Republican, or every member of any group really.

However, let's set that aside for a moment (because that's not the end of the issues). Why not take a look at Curbledgeon's posts and then psiandco's response. For space, I'll put that in a Spoiler tag.

Spoiler:
Curbludgeon wrote:
I'd pay money to read an anthology collection of vignettes in the lives of different beings on Rifts Earth. I'd prefer it shy away from previously named characters, and instead try to depict the mental state of those both familiar and wildly dissimilar to ourselves.

Perhaps the prejudice a Dewtani encounters while traversing western Missouri has some parallel to human experience, but how does an Amorph living in Psyscape see the world? A person living in one of the Yama Hells might well have to live with their recently dead and damned relatives, being forced to shuttle them from work detail to scheduled torture, and back, knowing they too will one day suffer the same fate. A child might be forced by their parents to deny their budding psychic abilities in hopes of gaining citizenship in an arcology. A novice Cyber Knight receives a dream vision; a Jungle Elf communes with a Tree of Wisdom; a Darkhound tails a caravan in a dimly-understood sense of belonging.

Sell me a couple of hundred pages of that as a paperback.

psiandco wrote:
So, you want a book that will make you feel validated and get your ears tickled by confirmations of what you subjectively believe to be true?
...Me so smart, cause me likey x..?

that's not valid. not by any means.
If a book about an electrician working on electronic devices, doesn't engage your "beliefs", it isn't a good book?
that's ignorance.

A truly good book is much more content than what will ever tickle your fancy, I guarantee.
Some of that will hurt you.
some of that will make you cry.
some of that can make you question your own beliefs.

That is what good writting is supposed to do.
If you want confirmation of your opinions, go to your mirror and talk to your reflection.

That has the added bonus of being FREE.
also, if you want self-gratification, you can... LOL, WUT?
First, I don't see anything in Curbludgeon's post stating the novels can only print what he personally believes in. In fact, I don't think there's much of a belief system even stated other than a preference of what kind of story would be entertaining. And the response? Attacks on intelligence, and accusations about only wanting an echo chamber. Seriously, do you think this is a valid response? Do you think this is even a relevant response to what was actually stated? Because, to me, it just feels totally out of nowhere to attack another poster that (from what I see in this thread) hasn't even made any direct comments to the individual before that point.

But wait, there's more! In addition, psiandco has repeatedly tried to bring up sexual interactions in this thread, which is really the only person from what I can recall. This includes criticizing other's sexual preferences, suggesting how other people should have sex to improve their writing, and trying to brag about his own sexual encounters. Keep in mind part of the rules is: "Please remember that this is a gaming board visited by people of all ages, young and old, from around the world." Now, how appropriate it is to discuss sex is a topic that may vary between individuals, but do you even see a reason why it had to come up in the conversation in the first place or how it added to anything?

Honestly? I dislike reporting posts. I much rather people be able to sort out the issues by themselves. As such, with a couple of people making comments back and forth at each other I kind of tried to ignore. However, when one person in particular lashes out at several individuals (some of which have not retaliated), I don't consider it the same regardless of political leanings. That's at least my thoughts on the matter, since you sked. Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:22 pm

Explorer

He also kind of went off the rail in other threads in the last week. Even prefacing them with "I'm going to delete this post in an hour" and whatnot. Case in point. It was kind of well-deserved.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:48 pm

Adventurer

ANYWAY, if novels are written, hopefully they're of good quality, well-edited and with no sentence fragments (which is a current fad I don't understand, and wish would go away).
I'm actually working on something for Fantasy.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:18 pm

Champion

Sprinkling in sentence fragments, especially in dialogue, can make the work feel less stilled and more grounded in reality. That said, like, with everything else, less is more.

But back to the original question, Palladium needs to do more fiction.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:43 pm

Knight

Fenris2020 wrote:
ANYWAY, if novels are written, hopefully they're of good quality, well-edited and with no sentence fragments (which is a current fad I don't understand, and wish would go away).
I'm actually working on something for Fantasy.

I would love to have you critique Duty’s Edge.

I don’t much care for. This. Way. Of. Emphasizing. Words. Or sentence fragments. Like this one, or the one before it.

Rex Barkdoll and I had an epic back-and forth debate over comma rules for short, but compound sentences like this: “Bob ran, and Jill walked.” Rex would take out the comma, and I would put it back in. In the end, we looked up the rules and found that there are different standards and styles that conflict on this, but Even though we settled on leaving out commas for very short sentences, you might be able to find some that squeaked through.

Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:28 pm

Champion

Comment: They/Them
Revisiting my earlier post, a short story contest really wouldn't need much incentive to get submissions. If someone on staff can't be found to read through entries there could just be voting in a forum thread. A related question: is PB able to distribute pdfs of their work, or is that licensed solely through drivethrurpg?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:32 pm

Champion

A short story contest could be a lot of fun.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:15 pm

Knight

Josh Hilden wrote:

100% agree!

Check out my maps here!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:57 am

Palladin

If they can do a contest then just do another anthology.

They've had literal decades to do plenty of fiction be it anthologies, novellas, or graphic novels.

But like all other non RPG book branches, they just couldn't really be bothered. If they really wanted too then it would have been done already.

This is the same company where Kevin straight up said publicly for years, obviously paraphrasing, "we're a rpg company, that's it" while all his competition went more and more digital and down other revenue streams. To do so so long after the fact now is a bit too little too late.

And I'm not alone in having being calling for many of these things over the last 20 years. I won't even get into their still very lacking social media presence.

\m/

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:12 am

Explorer

It's worse than that, really. Even the RPG books they do publish are pretty much embarrassing given literally every technology that's easily and readily available today. There's no excuse for them looking the way they do, their (total lack of) organization, and editing that's... well, I have sincere doubts there is any actual editing other than someone just getting their name thrown in the credits.

It's fairly said given Rifts used to be in the top five (or at least top ten) RPGs out there decades ago. A few others have fallen, too--most notably World of Darkness and Shadowrun--but at least that wasn't because of the physical quality of their books.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:58 pm

Wanderer

Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.
Curbludgeon wrote:
Revisiting my earlier post, a short story contest really wouldn't need much incentive to get submissions. <snip>

This.

So very much this.

Just set up a theme for the submissions and tag someone to sort through and select the ones worth putting to print. Also ensure that person has the authority (and I daresay capability/qualifications) to "red pen" submissions and go back to the authors for possible edits/changes, as any literary agent/editor would do. Wrap it up and publish another anthology.

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:42 pm

Knight

Ok, if they were to do a short story contest/anthology, how might they tie them together? A common theme, location, region, or culture? Maybe a sourcebook?

Check out my maps here!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:10 am

Champion

Comment: They/Them
I'd earlier floated a theme of D-Bees and similar beings (Amorphs, Chinese Damned, what have you). Beings whom might think in ways entirely different than humans promotes writing about them in experimental styles, which is one of the biggest strengths of the short story.

Plus, if someone felt like getting fancy and writing about a previously undocumented species, an introductory story would be a fine pretext to statting 'em up.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:45 am

Knight

Curbludgeon wrote:
I'd earlier floated a theme of D-Bees and similar beings (Amorphs, Chinese Damned, what have you). Beings whom might think in ways entirely different than humans promotes writing about them in experimental styles, which is one of the biggest strengths of the short story.

Plus, if someone felt like getting fancy and writing about a previously undocumented species, an introductory story would be a fine pretext to statting 'em up.

As creative challenges, that sounds pretty awesome, actually. I was thinking more along the lines of "what common theme would sell better," but now that I think about it, some of the more interesting short stories I've ever read share the perspective of a radically different mind.

Check out my maps here!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:48 am

Wanderer

Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.
Curbludgeon wrote:

Writing from a non-human perspective can be..... (really) tricky. We had a couple of these in the Chi-town 'Burbs Anthology, one was really good, the other a knocked it out of the park. There is a real challenge there that may or may not provide enough to do an anthology. As suggested, it would certainly be an interesting exercise though.

As for the theme, there are myriad settings to choose from. What I'd ***love*** to see is a story submission structured around a scenario/series of plot points, set in a post 109 P.A. that reflects what PB is thinking of releasing for Rifts in the near-ish future. Heck, they may even provide ideas and opportunities for future books for release to move the plot line along. I know I for sure have things in the works and scribbled notes in a post-109 PA setting for Free Quebec and the Eastern Seaboard. ;)

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:40 pm

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Hotrod wrote:
Ok, if they were to do a short story contest/anthology, how might they tie them together? A common theme, location, region, or culture? Maybe a sourcebook?

Any of that would work.

I think the main issue should be to make a decision about what KIND of stories Palladium wants to publish.
Slow, highbrow drama?
Fast lowbrow shoot-em-ups?
Romance? (probably not!)

If they're looking for pulpy tales of terror and action, that should be made clear.
If they're looking for highbrow literary stuff, that should be made clear.

As long as the editor makes it as clear as possible what kinds of story they WANT, they should be able to get plenty of submissions.
Especially if they pay.

And more especially if they pay on time, in decent amounts.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:32 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
Josh Hilden wrote:

This has been discussed before but the logistics of it can be daunting as well as time consuming and PB has a hard enough time getting gaming books out the door.

What you would need is a group of people, a 3 to 5 person board if you will, that can review the stories and decide what is in and what isn't as well as edit the stories so the drain on PB staff is minimal.

I always thought doing 3 or 4 digital only anthologies and then choosing the best stories from each to be in a print version. It would get fiction out there, but we wouldn't have the issues of poor quality like with the original trilogy of novels.

jaymz wrote:
If they can do a contest then just do another anthology.

They've had literal decades to do plenty of fiction be it anthologies, novellas, or graphic novels.

But like all other non RPG book branches, they just couldn't really be bothered. If they really wanted too then it would have been done already.

This is the same company where Kevin straight up said publicly for years, obviously paraphrasing, "we're a rpg company, that's it" while all his competition went more and more digital and down other revenue streams. To do so so long after the fact now is a bit too little too late.

And I'm not alone in having being calling for many of these things over the last 20 years. I won't even get into their still very lacking social media presence.

I agree themed anthologies would be the way to go. As for PB not wanting to do anything besides RPG books first there is an opportunity cost to doing anything else so if they are editing an anthology, they are not writing Bestiary 2 for instance which is a book some of us paid a lot of money for several years ago. The other thing I will bring up is the disaster which was the Robotech miniatures. Staying in ones lane is often good advice.

desrocfc wrote:
Just set up a theme for the submissions and tag someone to sort through and select the ones worth putting to print. Also ensure that person has the authority (and I daresay capability/qualifications) to "red pen" submissions and go back to the authors for possible edits/changes, as any literary agent/editor would do. Wrap it up and publish another anthology.

I still think it is better to have a group than one person but yes authority in this case would almost be more important than capability. This will turn into a disaster quick if PB staff started overriding everything.

As for themes I think it would almost be best to list off like 5 themes and then as stories come in for each theme you could work on them and then publish as you have enough stories for each. That way you don't lock yourself into publishing an anthology around a theme that you don't get enough quality submissions for.

Hotrod wrote:

I could see all of these but even if you do location it doesn't have to be specific region it can be a type of location.
Life in a Big city (so Chitown, City of Brass, Berlin, Hiroshima) or something like isolated regions (northern Canada, Australian Outback, steppes of Russia).

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

Any of that would work.

I think the main issue should be to make a decision about what KIND of stories Palladium wants to publish.
Slow, highbrow drama?
Fast lowbrow shoot-em-ups?
Romance? (probably not!)

If they're looking for pulpy tales of terror and action, that should be made clear.
If they're looking for highbrow literary stuff, that should be made clear.

As long as the editor makes it as clear as possible what kinds of story they WANT, they should be able to get plenty of submissions.
Especially if they pay.

And more especially if they pay on time, in decent amounts.

Hopefully there would be room for all of these types of stories as long as the followed the proper themes. After giving this about 3 minutes of thought a few that I thought of are:

Through the Rifts - Stories of travels to other dimensions or of people coming to Rifts Earth

War Stories - could be soldiers, could be civilians but stories from any wars like against Mechanoids or Four horseman or NGR vs Gargoyle or CS vs...well everyone I guess

Cosmic Terrors - Stories of people encountering things like the Lord of the Deep, Nxla, or other supernatural intelligences.

As for writing instruction I have two things that have really helped me in the last year.
1- Becoming a Writer, Staying a Writer by J. Mishael Straczynski
2- Brandon Sandersons 2020 Creative Writing Lectures. I am not a huge fan of his books, but these lectures are one of the best workshops I've seen for creative writing.

I have to say I really like the ideas here and I hope someone can organize it and convince KS to give it a shot.

Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:36 am

Palladin

"As for PB not wanting to do anything besides RPG books first there is an opportunity cost to doing anything else so if they are editing an anthology, they are not writing Bestiary 2 for instance which is a book some of us paid a lot of money for several years ago"

They aren't working on it now despite having been paid for by you and others already while also talking about another crowd fund for titan despite THAT being something that should damn near ready to go on its own without such a thing.

\m/

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:24 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
jaymz wrote:
"As for PB not wanting to do anything besides RPG books first there is an opportunity cost to doing anything else so if they are editing an anthology, they are not writing Bestiary 2 for instance which is a book some of us paid a lot of money for several years ago"

They aren't working on it now despite having been paid for by you and others already while also talking about another crowd fund for titan despite THAT being something that should damn near ready to go on its own without such a thing.

The crowd fund for Titan Robotics sounds more about special editions than anything else. I think it is also Sean trying to move PB away from Insider things to Kickstarter to try and get away from RT. I think it's a bad idea personally but from a business standpoint, and given his experience with Savage Rifts, I understand it.

My main point with this is the opportunity cost as the reason for them not doing new fiction in recent years.

Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:53 pm

Adventurer

Josh Hilden wrote:
Sprinkling in sentence fragments, especially in dialogue, can make the work feel less stilled and more grounded in reality. That said, like, with everything else, less is more.

But back to the original question, Palladium needs to do more fiction.

I guess some people talk like that (maybe they grew up ToS Kirk fans), so that's forgivable; but when you have a dozen fragment per page, not in quotes, it tells me that someone needs to pick up the grammar book from the 4th grade and familiarize themselves with the contents.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:11 pm

Palladin

Warshield73 wrote:
jaymz wrote:

The crowd fund for Titan Robotics sounds more about special editions than anything else. I think it is also Sean trying to move PB away from Insider things to Kickstarter to try and get away from RT. I think it's a bad idea personally but from a business standpoint, and given his experience with Savage Rifts, I understand it.

My main point with this is the opportunity cost as the reason for them not doing new fiction in recent years.

Then they can just make the book but here we are years after the raw with no book. Just as we are here with no beastiaries 2 that they took in 1000s of dollars for.

\m/

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:09 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Then they can just make the book but here we are years after the raw with no book. Just as we are here with no beastiaries 2 that they took in 1000s of dollars for.

This is sort of my point. PB has a hard enough time getting books out just doing RPGs, imagine how much worse it would be if they shifted even some of their attention to doing fiction. which just doesn't sell as well for PB as RPGs do.

Now an idea to help that along might be to include things like NPC stats, monsters, vehicles, equipment, spells or magic items with the stories but that is just a thought.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:26 am

Palladin

That would essentially be the rifter...

\m/

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:54 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:
That would essentially be the rifter...

I can see that point but this would be more of the inverse of the Rifter.

The Rifter has lots of game material with a little, mostly unconnected, fiction.

This would be mostly (2/3s to 3/4s) fiction with some related game material. But another way to do it would be to put the game material in the Rifter, or if it is good enough to be canon a regular sourcebook or worldbook, with a note what story and which collection it comes from. Might work as native advertising for the fiction.

Regardless of how it is done the two most important things are that it should take as little time as possible from the PB staff and if there are game stats provided the method should be fairly consistent.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:58 pm

Palladin

See above where I already said if they really wanted to do it they'd already have done it

\m/

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:45 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:
See above where I already said if they really wanted to do it they'd already have done it

I understand that but as I have said numerous times you mistake desire for opportunity and available resources. PB but especially KS would love to do comics, video games, animation, and short and long fiction but they just don't have the time and resources.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:31 am

Palladin

And your missing the actual point.

If real desire is there then they'd find a way to do it.

\m/

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:44 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:
And your missing the actual point.

If real desire is there then they'd find a way to do it.

That is some serious will to power nonsense. With this kind of certainty I can only assume you have achieved every desire in your life.

Every choice you make comes at a cost, if they do fiction they have to do less RPG books. Kevin has spoken multiple times about how he would like to do some of these things but just doesn't have the time and resources. It's the whole reason the Rifter went on hiatus and is now annual instead of quarterly.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:07 pm

D-Bee

Out of curiosity, what's to stop board members/fans from creating a contest on their own? Is copyright infringement a concern? I know PB tends to threaten that a lot, so it would be an understandable concern.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:36 pm

Palladin

Words mean things my guy so you should understand what's been said.

I have all sorts of desires. My real desires get my effort to achieve.

As for Kevin he's claimed lack of time and resources while then focusing all sorts of efforts on getting f'ing pencils and other knickknacks to sell (by his own words) so spare me if I largely ignore anything he says publicly and believe me there's 40 years of precedents to do exactly that.

\m/

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:43 pm

Explorer

jaymz wrote:
As for Kevin he's claimed lack of time and resources while then focusing all sorts of efforts on getting f'ing pencils and other knickknacks to sell (by his own words) so spare me if I largely ignore anything he says publicly and believe me there's 40 years of precedents to do exactly that.

I'm forced to agree with this.

The guy has some serious issues, and they've all lead what could have been one of the premiere games in RPGdom down the path to... well, whatever it is these days. Mostly a joke at worst, or a cautionary tale at best.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:14 am

Knight

Nevermore wrote:
Out of curiosity, what's to stop board members/fans from creating a contest on their own? Is copyright infringement a concern? I know PB tends to threaten that a lot, so it would be an understandable concern.

Nothing at all. Several of us have created and posted some Rifts-related fiction on the boards. As long as we're not selling it or trying to self-publish, there's no issue I know of.

Check out my maps here!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:19 pm

D-Bee

So why not organize and start your own contest here, rather than hoping for something official that's unlikely to happen?