Palladium Fantasy--must have books

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Palladium Fantasy--must have books

Unread post by Kraynic »

I have to admit to only owning those 2 from the 2nd edition myself. If the 2E version is at all like the first, then I would recommend Book 3: Adventures on the High Seas, and following that the Monsters & Animals book if you don't have it.

I have been playing with the 1st Edition since the early '90s. The main books I use most are the core rulebook, Adventures on the High Seas, and Monsters & Animals. That gives a wide range of OCCs, skills, playable races, etc. Anything else is just whatever might interest you (like the Eastern Territories book). If you do much with that part of the world, it might be worth investing in the Wolfen Empire book. Again, I haven't looked at the one for 2nd Edition, but I assume it has most of the content from 2 smaller books from 1st edition that dealt with the Wolfen Empire and the Northern Wilderness.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Welcome to the forum, salimkhop89!

In terms of crunch, Monsters and Animals is perhaps the most useful book, arguably followed by the Lands of the Damned books (14 and 15). For the regions you mentioned, The Eastern Territory (11) is better than some earlier books about not nesting setting info within the framework of an adventure. Should it be useful, Dragons and Gods helps flesh out some of the setting's religions, as does Garden of the Gods, in its way.

While Adventures on the High Seas (3) does detail the geography potentially involved in a seafaring game, the classes within (gladiators, entertainers, mariners, sailors, pirates, necromancers, shamans) are generally either easily enough approximated or available in a more complete form elsewhere. Similarly, there is a blurb about multiple O.C.C.s, itself largely considered to have been superceded by the later-published Dual O.C.C. errata found in the Cutting Room Floor portion of PB's site. I'd also consider checking out Bizantium and the Northern Islands (16), which has considerable overlap with High Seas and some eye-catching interior art.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

salimkhop89 wrote:Hey guys,

I have the core Fantasy book, and just the 1st Old Ones book. If I could only get say two or three other books, what would you recommend? I'm most interested in either the Eastern Territory and making my own petty kingdom or maybe do a sea based game.

Thanks!

Greetings and Salutations. My usual recommendations for Palladium Fantasy (my favorite setting) are as follows ...

Spoiler:
The pmost useful two books for starting the collection are the following:

1) Monsters & Animals. Lots of monsters, both playable and potential enemies (ranging from minor annoyance to big bad). Also, it has animal stats which are useful for pets, random encounters, familiars, and more. I'd call this one essential after the main book.

2) Dragons & Gods. It includes dragons, elementals, spirits of light, A.I., and gods. Even if none of those things appeal to you, they come in handy if someone is playing a clergy type or a warlock. Also provides a few hidden clues to the setting and such. If none if those things appeal to you though, feel free to pass. This is more likely for very high powered campaigns and/or NPC.

After those two it becomes a lot more personal taste. I'd recommend whichever location the game is going to be set. So if the Western Empire is the campaign setting, get the Western Empire book. I'll provide some added info all the same.

Old Ones: Timiro setting, and a high level campaign included.

Adventures on the High Seas: Bizantium setting. Lots of island adventures, a plethora of new O.C.C., stats on ships, and a few hidden notes (like Kingdom colors based upon nation flags). Highly recommended by me.

Wolfen Empire: Lots of Wolfen Empire info. If that's where the campaign will take place, you're playing a Wolfen, or you just like the furry humanoids, a good pick. If you prefer, you can go with the two classic [Further] Adventures in the Northern Wilderness books. Wolfen Empire is effectively those two books combined. There are definite differences, but you needn't worry about that too much just starting off.

Island at the Edge of the World: First edition adventure book. While it has setting info too, I won't recommend it for starting your collection.

Yin-Sloth Jungles: Another 1st Edition book. Lots of O.C.C. and monsters, but they'll all need to be converted. Setting info too. Good book, but due to the need conversions I don't recommend it to start off.

Western Empire: Good if this is where the campaign will be held or you want to use them as bad guys. While different, for a quick analogy I think if them like the CS. Even if you don't want to be them, still nice to have their stats when the players face them. Also has some new magic/Alchemists items, if you're into that kind of thing.

Baalgor Wastelands: Another setting book. Lots of new monsters/races. I personally really enjoy this book. However if you're not looking for new monsters/races and you're not interested in the area, it may not hold much use for a new comer to PF. I still think it's a cool book, but your mileage may vary.

Mount Nimro: Giants! A few new O.C.C., but mostly restricted to giants and that region.

Eastern Territory: Another area book. Good if you want a game there. As a G.M., it's one of my favorite places to start a game (if I'm sticking to the established setting).

Library of Bletherad: Very useful book in many ways, but also limited. They give you new schools of magic, but no way to learn them and no O.C.C. info. Rune items you can't find, etc. Also gives some setting info such as Currency and a few other gems like that. I think it's great, but more flavor and something to build/expand upon than a use as is (to me). Probably not something I'd recommend fresh out, but an early addition later. If someone is going TO the library, then essential, of course.

Northern Hinterlands: Region specific, but good book. More designed as a lead-in for the Land of the Damned though. Lots of optional O.C.C. such as Blacksmith and Artisan. Also has the Barbarians, which some people really like. Your mileage may very upon personal tastes.

Land of the Damned 1&2: Good books, but not really my type of thing. I don't use them, and actually avoid them (primarily because some of the races for it are super munchy, and after it first came out you see almost everyone trying to make one of these super ultra rare races that you never find outside this specific region, which ultimately ticked me off). High level stuff. If you're running a high powered campaign, sure. Otherwise I suggest avoiding until later. Even if you find the books interesting, not very useful for someone starting out and region specific more designed for epic level games.

Bizantium and the Northern Islands: Region specific, again. This will cover far more information on Bizantium than the High Seas book (above), and great if you want sea adventures. There's a few new O.C.C., a few new skills, and even a new type of enemy for the area.

Mysteries of Magic: I've never read much of this book myself, as my players have always avoided magic like the plague (not sure why). There are some mixed feelings on this book (from what I've seen), in part because it was meant as a series of books and the others never came out. The book does introduced new spells and various new information on magic in general. There are a few new O.C.C. (and O.C.C. variants), but can't say I've ever heard much good about them or the skills. If you want to expand on magic in general, this can be a useful addition, even for a Rifts setting. However, unless you love magic and want all the information you can have on it, this probably isn't a high priority book. From what I've seen, it tends to be often forgotten.
From what you described ... Adventures on the High Seas would be a good pick (for the ship stats if nothing else). Combine that with Monsters & Animals for a variety of races and monsters (including sea monsters). Then either Dragons & Gods (for the clergy and general religion) or Eastern Territory (since you have interest).

Hope some of that helps and that you have a great gaming experience. Also, feel free to stop by the Palladium Fantasy forum. Not all of the regulars there check the other areas, but there's a lot of smart and knowledgeable people there who may offer different insights. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
blackaeon
D-Bee

Unread post by blackaeon »

As a newcomer to Palladium Fantasy as of 2021 (I've been playing Palladium rpgs since 94', just never got around to Fantasy because I arrogantly thought "well, it's a fantasy setting"), I started off just buying a printer's proof copy of the 30th anniversary edition (I thought it was gorgeous). When I actually dove into the meat of the setting, I was absolutely blown away by the content, and honestly, have been spending the better part of the last two months quietly lamenting the fact that I never got into the setting until now, because things could've been so so different.

I've since bought ALL of the books for 2E Palladium Fantasy, since they're the ones relevant to the current product; not all of them have come in yet, and I haven't read them all, but out of what I have consumed, here's what I'd recommend as someone who's still really, really fresh to things:
Core (of course)
Monsters & Animals (I actually got this for a ATB podcast I'm running/editing, but it's oriented as a Fantasy product first and adds a lot)
Dragons & Gods - This adds a lot of supplemental information for the cosmology of the Palladium world and also tweaks a few 'real-world' deities in fun and interesting ways.
Garden of the Gods - I just really love this book heaps and it adds even more to the cosmology. This is a really chill book, as in, it is an absolute pleasure to read!
Any given area book - The first one I got was Yin-Sloth, but I don't think you can necessarily go wrong with these; I read the core book, found an area I was most interested in, and got the book for that one.

And all of that, still less than the cost of the books that constitute most any other fantasy setting. I really feel like a ding-dong for joining the party so late, but I'm here now, so hopefully that counts for something.
"A frog and a packrat mixed together is pretty much a cat" - Liblet Thumblejump

www.realplaygamespod.com is where my friends and I play a bunch of TTRPG games, including a bunch of Palladium ones!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

MASTERMIND wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I order of of what I would suggest...
Core book
monsters and animals
western empire
eastern territories
LotD 1
Island at the edge of the world
.....the others in any order you please.

Seconded.

Although Palladium Books is one of the few companies I just buy everything for. I find gems in just about every product.

Agreed. I never run Fantasy and I only play maybe once per Open House but I love reading the books. Island at the Edge of the World, Baalgor Wastelands and Library at Bletherad are among my favorites. However, Monsters and Animals is a must for any Palladium GM. I use it in all the games.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

Warshield73 wrote:
MASTERMIND wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I order of of what I would suggest...
Core book
monsters and animals
western empire
eastern territories
LotD 1
Island at the edge of the world
.....the others in any order you please.

Seconded.

Although Palladium Books is one of the few companies I just buy everything for. I find gems in just about every product.

Agreed. I never run Fantasy and I only play maybe once per Open House but I love reading the books. Island at the Edge of the World, Baalgor Wastelands and Library at Bletherad are among my favorites. However, Monsters and Animals is a must for any Palladium GM. I use it in all the games.

Man, it's been a while since I read those. Probably need to do that again soon. I am feeling the urge to run Palladium Fantasy again.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”