Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » All Things Palladium Books®

Post subject: Skill check explanation
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:22 pm

Palladin

Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)
So I’m trying to put together a rules document for the palladium system in order to try and better integrate everything. By and large I’m using RUE as the basis. Tweaking some wording here and there like replacing on your turn roll to attack with on your turn choose an action be it attack, cast a spell, perform a skill etc.

I seem to have hit a snag when it comes to skills and how to actually do a skill check. Now I know we all know how it works but I'm doing this with a completely new person to rpg's in mind. I’ve not scoured every core book yet, mainly checking rue/rmb/robotech at present, but thus far while I’ve found how what a percentile roll is and how to determine what your skill percentage is, I’ve yet to find an explanation of how the two work together IE what a skill check is.

Again I know we here all know how it works.

That said does anyone know where and in which books in can find such an explanation? I mean an actual page reference not just a “it’s in this book I know it is". Why specificity? Because we know how well palladium books are laid out and how some rules Will be in the oddest places no one would ever think to check.

Thanks in advance.

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 pm

Champion

jaymz wrote:
So I’m trying to put together a rules document for the palladium system in order to try and better integrate everything. By and large I’m using RUE as the basis. Tweaking some wording here and there like replacing on your turn roll to attack with on your turn choose an action be it attack, cast a spell, perform a skill etc.

I seem to have hit a snag when it comes to skills and how to actually do a skill check. Now I know we all know how it works but I'm doing this with a completely new person to rpg's in mind. I’ve not scoured every core book yet, mainly checking rue/rmb/robotech at present, but thus far while I’ve found how what a percentile roll is and how to determine what your skill percentage is, I’ve yet to find an explanation of how the two work together IE what a skill check is.

Again I know we here all know how it works.

That said does anyone know where and in which books in can find such an explanation? I mean an actual page reference not just a “it’s in this book I know it is". Why specificity? Because we know how well palladium books are laid out and how some rules Will be in the oddest places no one would ever think to check.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings and Salutations. What I think you're looking for is in RUE on page 279, first column. The section starts with the bolded words: Skill Check/Roll Under Your Skill. This paragraph discusses rolling under, and provides an example to show it in action (also officially noting the "per level" bonus of skills doesn't start until level two). Hope that helps, but if this doesn't fulfill your request please let me know why and maybe I can find something better. Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:58 pm

Palladin

Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)
Nope that works. Shoukd be under skills but is what it is.

Seems it is one of the only core books to have it in there.

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/