Monster hunter TW Sword.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Monster hunter TW Sword.

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Tired of trying to plan on which weapon is best?
Tired of being caught in a fight and not having some of the simplest weapons to harm a supernatural being?

Well here is the one tool you don't want to be without.

The monster fighter TW Sword.

A wood/iron sandwiched blade with silver coated edge and designs inlaid in the wood. (***edited***) the wood is enchanted with irornwood. It Is topped off with an iron tube.
The handle has 3 aquamarine (1000 credits each) and 3 rubies (1000 credits each)

Giving the sword both water blade and flame blade (fusionist blade)

Unpowered it does 3d6md+ps if MD capabule (6d6 to vampires and those vulnerable to wood/silver/iron.

The Firewater flame blade adds 1d6 md to the damage of normal targets and does 3d6 to creatures vulnerable to fire or water (if vulnerable to the above the sword does 9d6 total damage to target). activation: 15 ppe/30 isp

Total build cost is 60,000 credits, and takes 100 hours to enchant.

But this weapon will be one of your best investments for any adventure.
Last edited by Hawk258 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Monster hunter TW Sword.

Unread post by ITWastrel »

TW Lightblade. I don't know of any Supernatural creature who is immune, and it does a stupid amount of damage.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

If memory serves, you haven't tapped into the Invocations from the Book of Magic, so you haven't seen the Lightblade spell. Here's a TW version:

Per the spell, creates a sword of brilliant white light. Damage is 1D4x10+5, with double damage to vampires, Shadow Beasts, etc. Duration is 5 minutes per activation.

Device level 5
Spell: Lightblade
Gems: 15 carats clear Quartz, plus 1 carat of Diamond for PPE storage
Activation: 4 PPE
Payload: 5 activations can be stored
Construction: 80 PPE and 40 hours
Build Cost: 19,900 credits
Magical Mack's Sale Price: 60,000 credits

That'll slap a vampire for an average of 60 points per hit.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

ITWastrel wrote:TW Lightblade. I don't know of any Supernatural creature who is immune, and it does a stupid amount of damage.

Well I am going off the "single" vulnerability type like black wind monster men ect.

But I will likely adapt the light blade. Much appreciated heads up

Either way this also isn't fully dependent on ppe and is "capable on its own"
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Please describe how it is capable of mega damage without a TW effect activated.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Curbludgeon wrote:Please describe how it is capable of mega damage without a TW effect activated.

Ironwood spell on the wood.
Sorry missed that in the initial write up. (Got logged out while trying to post and forgot that part) fixed

Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Ironwood Spell description wrote:Note: Just because a wooden club is now an M.D.C. object, it does not inflict Mega-Damage (although it does inflict an extra ID6 damage)
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

While that is "true" I can name at least 2 cannon examples where an MDC (non-magical/non-technical enhanced or augmented) material causes md regardless of the user or the victim of the weapon.

Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

And here's an utterly overpowered add-on to a TW Lightblade: Spinning Blades!

The TW Uber-Lightblade sword has two functions. The first is the spell Lightblade. (Same as previously posted.)
Spoiler:
Per the spell, creates a sword of brilliant white light. Damage is 1D4x10+5, with double damage to vampires, Shadow Beasts, etc. Duration is 5 minutes per activation.

Device level 5

The second function is that of Spinning Blades (Invocation on p119, BoM). This function creates 10 additional lightblades that can be used to either protect the caster, or fly at a target for over-the top damage. See the spell for specifics, but here's the highlights:
-- Range of 600 feet.
-- Attack can not be parried, just dodged.
-- Inflicts double damage for each blade (so our Lightblade starts at 1D4x10+5 MD, doubled to 1D4x20+10, then multiplied by 10, for 10D4x20+100, or an average of 600 MD)
-- Double damage to vampires, Shadow Beasts, etc...

TW notes:
-- Device Level 10
-- Spells: Spinning Blades
-- Activation: 5 PPE
-- Payload: 5 activation(s) stored in 1.25 carats of Diamond
-- Construction: 100 PPE & 100 hours
-- Gems carats: 25 Opal (all other colors)
-- Build Cost: 41,300 credits

Magical Mack's sale price for both functions in one weapon: 180,000 credits.

Have I mentioned how easy it is to abuse the TW rules?
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Mack wrote:And here's an utterly overpowered add-on to a TW Lightblade: Spinning Blades!

The TW Uber-Lightblade sword has two functions. The first is the spell Lightblade. (Same as previously posted.)
Spoiler:

Device level 5

The second function is that of Spinning Blades (Invocation on p119, BoM). This function creates 10 additional lightblades that can be used to either protect the caster, or fly at a target for over-the top damage. See the spell for specifics, but here's the highlights:
-- Range of 600 feet.
-- Inflicts double damage for each blade (so our Lightblade starts at 1D4x10+5 MD, doubled to 1D4x20+10, then multiplied by 10, for 10D4x20+100, or an average of 600 MD)

TW notes:
-- Device Level 10

Very nice.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Mack wrote:And here's an utterly overpowered add-on to a TW Lightblade: Spinning Blades!

Spoiler:

Device level 5

-- Range of 600 feet.

TW notes:
-- Device Level 10

Have I mentioned the end affect is up to the gm by the rules. ;) It only does the damage you listed if the GM says it does. So if you fallow the rules the GM decides the affecct that makes it hard to abuse and easy to waist resources. (I use my own rules for TW that allows for a greater array of affects.) :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool:
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Blue_Lion wrote:Have I mentioned the end affect is up to the gm by the rules. ;) It only does the damage you listed if the GM says it does. So if you fallow the rules the GM decides the affecct that makes it hard to abuse and easy to waist resources. (I use my own rules for TW that allows for a greater array of affects.) :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool:

Oh I'm an advocate for GM's using a firm hand when it comes to TW item creation. The above item is a perfect example as to why.

I'd never recommend someone trying this monstrosity. It was just something I found amusing.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Mack wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:Have I mentioned the end affect is up to the gm by the rules. ;) It only does the damage you listed if the GM says it does. So if you fallow the rules the GM decides the affecct that makes it hard to abuse and easy to waist resources. (I use my own rules for TW that allows for a greater array of affects.) :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool:

Oh I'm an advocate for GM's using a firm hand when it comes to TW item creation. The above item is a perfect example as to why.

I'd never recommend someone trying this monstrosity. It was just something I found amusing.

Well my initial idea was meant to be used as a "tool" for many situations in regards to dealing with the supernatural.

While I did "ignore" the :doesn't inflict md: of ironwood, I wasn't going for the "instant killer of all monsters". Just a weapon that is effective against many types.

And would allow travelers the means to defend themselves with minimal extra equipment too.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Hawk258 wrote:
Mack wrote:

Well my initial idea was meant to be used as a "tool" for many situations in regards to dealing with the supernatural.

While I did "ignore" the :doesn't inflict md: of ironwood, I wasn't going for the "instant killer of all monsters". Just a weapon that is effective against many types.

And would allow travelers the means to defend themselves with minimal extra equipment too.

A TW sword in a tw sheath that has a PPE battery that activates the sword when drawn. (early rifter had the device think it was flagged official but can't remember.)
Enchant weapon is another way to go. It would make a melee weapon temporally or permantly count as magic and do MD. If a TW sheath had this feature it could in theory enchant weapons put in it. 400 PPE does damage for 1 month per level of caster.

Most players just go with silver plated vibroblades for fighting things like vampires.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:
Mack wrote:

A TW sword in a tw sheath that has a PPE battery that activates the sword when drawn. (early rifter had the device think it was flagged official but can't remember.)
Enchant weapon is another way to go. It would make a melee weapon temporally or permantly count as magic and do MD. If a TW sheath had this feature it could in theory enchant weapons put in it. 400 PPE does damage for 1 month per level of caster.

Most players just go with silver plated vibroblades for fighting things like vampires.

Silver is not effective against all threats.
Neither is uranium
Iron
Wood
Sunlight
Ect.

There are threats that aren't effected by any physical attack. And where psionics and magic come in.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Hawk258 wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:
Mack wrote:

Silver is not effective against all threats.
Neither is uranium
Iron
Wood
Sunlight
Ect.

There are threats that aren't effected by any physical attack. And where psionics and magic come in.

Silver vibro blades do cover the widest option when you do not have magic or psi.
There are also threats that are not affected by magic.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Yes that is true. But it this weapon covers many more. Which is probably 20 more than silver alone.

If properly used 1 or 2 characters could provide defense while others worked to kill it faster or handle other issues besides combat. And would prevent a team wipe in a random encounter.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Hawk258 wrote:Yes that is true. But it this weapon covers many more. Which is probably 20 more than silver alone.

If properly used 1 or 2 characters could provide defense while others worked to kill it faster or handle other issues besides combat. And would prevent a team wipe in a random encounter.

Random encounters that are immune to physical and silver weapons. I thought most the things that where in general are rare not just some random encounter. Resource wise the whole party can be outfitted with silver weapons but only a few people in most parties can use TW weapons. Affecting more does not help if no one can use it.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:Yes that is true. But it this weapon covers many more. Which is probably 20 more than silver alone.

Random encounters that are immune to physical and silver weapons. I thought most the things that where in general are rare not just some random encounter. Resource wise the whole party can be outfitted with silver weapons but only a few people in most parties can use TW weapons. Affecting more does not help if no one can use it.

Many people can use tw devices. But have to be psychic or magic users. They either need to know how to channel ppe/ISP (and have it) or have a device that draws ambient ppe into the device.

If they are a minor psycic they can use it. (Which is a very large percentage of humans and d-bee and aliens)

Blue_Lion
Knight

Hawk258 wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

Many people can use tw devices. But have to be psychic or magic users. They either need to know how to channel ppe/ISP (and have it) or have a device that draws ambient ppe into the device.

If they are a minor psycic they can use it. (Which is a very large percentage of humans and d-bee and aliens)

Partial credit.
New west set president that non-psi that grow up using TW as children have a chance to retain the ability as an adult. (before this you had to be psi or magic.)

While there may be many people that can use TW over all the vast majority still can't use tw.

Minor psi will have limited ability to power tw.

Enchanted weapons are posible but tend to be expensive.

That is why silver plated vibro weapons are the common general anti monster tool.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

Partial credit.
New west set president that non-psi that grow up using TW as children have a chance to retain the ability as an adult. (before this you had to be psi or magic.)

While there may be many people that can use TW over all the vast majority still can't use tw.

Minor psi will have limited ability to power tw.

Enchanted weapons are posible but tend to be expensive.

That is why silver plated vibro weapons are the common general anti monster tool.

I like options and honestly this isn't a game breaker.

Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Ironwood wont make it inflict MD by itself.

However, the OP is correct in that there are precedents of non-ativated TW items doing MD (Federation of Magic’s TW swords all do MD even when completely un-powered). Ive always thought those items were terrible precedent (how are they even TW items? Where’s the “tech” portion? The TW Flame Blade at least has a lightsaber-like insipiration of a flaming blade generated from a hilt, but the TW swords in Fed are just... swords. With spells in them.).

Moreover, though:

The “you need to be psychic or a magic user to use TW items” hasn’t been true for... ages.

The TW Lightblade from RUE is powered off of HP. ANYONE can use it. It was made to run off of HP specifically so it could be used as an anti-vampire weapon by regular old people.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Ironwood wont make it inflict MD by itself.

However, the OP is correct in that there are precedents of non-ativated TW items doing MD (Federation of Magic’s TW swords all do MD even when completely un-powered). Ive always thought those items were terrible precedent (how are they even TW items? Where’s the “tech” portion? The TW Flame Blade at least has a lightsaber-like insipiration of a flaming blade generated from a hilt, but the TW swords in Fed are just... swords. With spells in them.).

Moreover, though:

The “you need to be psychic or a magic user to use TW items” hasn’t been true for... ages.

The TW Lightblade from RUE is powered off of HP. ANYONE can use it. It was made to run off of HP specifically so it could be used as an anti-vampire weapon by regular old people.

Well my 3 examples are steel trees (dinosaur swamp) and kisentite weapons (aliens unlimited with Rifts stats included in the discrimination) both of which are "non-magical" and do not utilize technology (vibro-weapon, phase, plasma ect) yet inflicte mdc regardless of user.

There is also mdc bone (madhaven)

With 3 MDC items inflicting MD damage without being "augmented" by other tech or magic.

As for the tw lightblade that is not a weapon I would give any "normie" that weapon might kill you just as quickly as save you.

DD The Shmey
Explorer

Unread post by DD The Shmey »

I get what Mr. Hawk is trying to do here. He's making a kind of Swiss Army Knife of a blade that exploits various common weaknesses of supernatural beings. I honestly think that their would be a market for a device like this if sold in universe. I can see some flaws in the design you presented though that I would revise.

I am not sure how the Firewater blade would work though. I tend to think that the water would extinguish the fire or vice versa. Maybe if you wanted to make a steam blade, that would be cool. As a GM, I would rule that you could use the fire blade or the water blade, but if both are active it doesn't get the full benefits from both.

Likewise the idea of sandwiching materials in a blade to take advantage of vulnerabilities is something that I have explored in our early games years ago when I was around 12 years old. I, like you, had failed to realize that if the blade of a sword is layered with half iron and half silver then it really shouldn't get the full benefit of double damage against creatures vulnerable to iron or silver, since the blade is only half iron. In our games we ruled that the damage bonus associated with the vulnerability is somewhat linked with the surface area of the blade, so if an iron sword burns the flesh of a Deevil as it cuts into it, a sword that is partially iron would only partially burn. Obviously this interpretation was a form of a house rule, and your GM may rule differently. One way we could get around this however was making the sword double edged, with one face being silver, and the other being iron. When going up against a Vampire, you just need to rotate the blade, that way the full blade is always a uniform material and thus gains the full benefit from the damage bonuses.

Finally don't forget to describe some Techno-Wizardy gizmo's on the blade, cosmetic though they may be. All of the TW creation rules said that you should include some kind of technological components into your device that make it seem feasible that the TW device would function as it does. In this case, I would say that there is a small aerosol can and a small water container built into the handle, with hoses leading to a pair of nozzles in the hilt pointing up the blade.

Now this TW Uber-Lightblade has really caught my attention.
-- Range of 600 feet.

Particularly the interpretation that the Spinning Blades spell creates duplicates the original weapon and each of the additional blades does the same damage as the original instead of the 2d6 MD listed in the spell description. I had always interpenetrated the spell as saying that whatever the damage your original weapon does, the newly created flying blades each do 2d6 damage, and that hurling the fan of blades at the opponent does 2d6 x your level plus one.

I have made a TW sword using the spinning blades spell in it also. Here is the description/stats

Spoiler:
Necro-Tech Spinning Blades Of Bone
This magical weapon consists of a brass staff with a long blade on either end and bone handle grips on either side of a brass rotor in the center with a third handle perpendicular to the shaft. Both of the blades are made of magically strengthened and molded bone. The core of the brass shaft is also made of strengthen bone with intermittent gemstones of onix, diamond, and chambersite.

The blades can be used in normal melee to parry or attack, inflicting 2d6 MD per strike. Alternatively the wielder can activate the rotor and begin spinning the blade (takes one melee action to activate). Striking with the spinning blade inflicts 3d6 MD, and is difficult to parry (-2 on all such attempts). Finally while the rotor is activated the wielder can invoke the spell Spinning Blades (20ppe, see WB16 Fed of Magic pg 142 for full description) at 6th level which causes the spinning blade to fly off of the rotor and float around, parrying physical (+6) and energy/projectile (+2) attacks, and striking opponents for 14d6 MD (Range: 360ft). Duration is 6 melees, or until the spinning blade strikes the opponent.

When I look back I see that I failed to mention the creation of additional blades in my original write-up.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

DD The Shmey wrote:I get what Mr. Hawk is trying to do here. He's making a kind of Swiss Army Knife of a blade that exploits various common weaknesses of supernatural beings. I honestly think that their would be a market for a device like this if sold in universe. I can see some flaws in the design you presented though that I would revise.

I am not sure how the Firewater blade would work though. I tend to think that the water would extinguish the fire or vice versa. Maybe if you wanted to make a steam blade, that would be cool. As a GM, I would rule that you could use the fire blade or the water blade, but if both are active it doesn't get the full benefits from both.

Likewise the idea of sandwiching materials in a blade to take advantage of vulnerabilities is something that I have explored in our early games years ago when I was around 12 years old. I, like you, had failed to realize that if the blade of a sword is layered with half iron and half silver then it really shouldn't get the full benefit of double damage against creatures vulnerable to iron or silver, since the blade is only half iron. In our games we ruled that the damage bonus associated with the vulnerability is somewhat linked with the surface area of the blade, so if an iron sword burns the flesh of a Deevil as it cuts into it, a sword that is partially iron would only partially burn. Obviously this interpretation was a form of a house rule, and your GM may rule differently. One way we could get around this however was making the sword double edged, with one face being silver, and the other being iron. When going up against a Vampire, you just need to rotate the blade, that way the full blade is always a uniform material and thus gains the full benefit from the damage bonuses.

Finally don't forget to describe some Techno-Wizardy gizmo's on the blade, cosmetic though they may be. All of the TW creation rules said that you should include some kind of technological components into your device that make it seem feasible that the TW device would function as it does. In this case, I would say that there is a small aerosol can and a small water container built into the handle, with hoses leading to a pair of nozzles in the hilt pointing up the blade.

Now this TW Uber-Lightblade has really caught my attention.
-- Range of 600 feet.

Particularly the interpretation that the Spinning Blades spell creates duplicates the original weapon and each of the additional blades does the same damage as the original instead of the 2d6 MD listed in the spell description. I had always interpenetrated the spell as saying that whatever the damage your original weapon does, the newly created flying blades each do 2d6 damage, and that hurling the fan of blades at the opponent does 2d6 x your level plus one.

I have made a TW sword using the spinning blades spell in it also. Here is the description/stats

Spoiler:
Necro-Tech Spinning Blades Of Bone
This magical weapon consists of a brass staff with a long blade on either end and bone handle grips on either side of a brass rotor in the center with a third handle perpendicular to the shaft. Both of the blades are made of magically strengthened and molded bone. The core of the brass shaft is also made of strengthen bone with intermittent gemstones of onix, diamond, and chambersite.

The blades can be used in normal melee to parry or attack, inflicting 2d6 MD per strike. Alternatively the wielder can activate the rotor and begin spinning the blade (takes one melee action to activate). Striking with the spinning blade inflicts 3d6 MD, and is difficult to parry (-2 on all such attempts). Finally while the rotor is activated the wielder can invoke the spell Spinning Blades (20ppe, see WB16 Fed of Magic pg 142 for full description) at 6th level which causes the spinning blade to fly off of the rotor and float around, parrying physical (+6) and energy/projectile (+2) attacks, and striking opponents for 14d6 MD (Range: 360ft). Duration is 6 melees, or until the spinning blade strikes the opponent.

When I look back I see that I failed to mention the creation of additional blades in my original write-up.

I will address this as best I can.
1 yes multitool weapon.

I guess I neglected to state the spell properly. Water/fire fusion spell is used singularly.

As for damage and "double" I am treating this the same way silver coating a blade works. It isn't about the volume or quantity of the items just the inclusion.
Which is sufficient to warrant the damage .

DD The Shmey
Explorer

Unread post by DD The Shmey »

I guess I neglected to state the spell properly. Water/fire fusion spell is used singularly.

Oh, is that that Elemental Fusionists thing in RUE?

I don't have a copy of RUE myself, so I am not sure how that fusion stuff works with combining elements. I also didn't know it was compatible with Technowizardry. I really need to get me a copy of that book. My friend has a copy, and a few years back I studied it and wrote up cliff notes on how to properly calculate number of attacks per melee (the old system I could never figure out what way was the right way).
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

[quote="DD The Shmey"][quote]I guess I neglected to state the spell properly. Water/fire fusion spell is used singularly. [/quote]

Oh, is that that Elemental Fusionists thing in RUE?

I don't have a copy of RUE myself, so I am not sure how that fusion stuff works with combining elements. I also didn't know it was compatible with Technowizardry. I really need to get me a copy of that book. My friend has a copy, and a few years back I studied it and wrote up cliff notes on how to properly calculate number of attacks per melee (the old system I could never figure out what way was the right way).[/quote]

It is in RUE.

As for "compatible" not expressly. I took some liberty with it but generally I think it fit responsibly well with the idea.

But it's just something I think is unique and flexible enough to be fun to let players have.

And an example of how one might create a fusionist tw sword.

Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Hawk258 wrote:

Moreover, though:

Well my 3 examples are steel trees (dinosaur swamp) and kisentite weapons (aliens unlimited with Rifts stats included in the discrimination) both of which are "non-magical" and do not utilize technology (vibro-weapon, phase, plasma ect) yet inflicte mdc regardless of user.

With 3 MDC items inflicting MD damage without being "augmented" by other tech or magic.

As for the tw lightblade that is not a weapon I would give any "normie" that weapon might kill you just as quickly as save you.

What youre missing is that those items specifically say they inflict M.D. (and Kise tite alsomhave proper Rifts stats in CS Navy; the pirate haven of Alexandria has them - their ruler, an Atlantean, imports them, so they are staright-up canon). There are also Skor Blades in Merc Ops (created via magic but not magical themselves) that inflct MD.

But Ironwood does not, because the spell CLEARLY says that items transformed into Ironwood do not inlfict MD.

There Ironwood weapons in Arzno that support/confirm this.

And... a TW cant make an item with a spell he cant cast.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:

Moreover, though:

What youre missing is that those items specifically say they inflict M.D. (and Kise tite alsomhave proper Rifts stats in CS Navy; the pirate haven of Alexandria has them - their ruler, an Atlantean, imports them, so they are staright-up canon). There are also Skor Blades in Merc Ops (created via magic but not magical themselves) that inflct MD.

But Ironwood does not, because the spell CLEARLY says that items transformed into Ironwood do not inlfict MD.

Right it "says that" but I ignore that because it doesn't fit the other 3 examples. I don't argue canon. I GM, and this isn't worth the fight at a table.

The spell can be a scroll to enchant a tw item. A fusionist is "encouraged" to have literacy, creative writing, or calligraphy.

Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Hawk258 wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:

Moreover, though:

Right it "says that" but I ignore that because it doesn't fit the other 3 examples. I don't argue canon. I GM, and this isn't worth the fight at a table.

The spell can be a scroll to enchant a tw item. A fusionist is "encouraged" to have literacy, creative writing, or calligraphy.

Beacuse all three of those other items are natural items not modified by magic. Ironwood is not natural, and IS modified by magic. Magic which sepcifically tells us that the items it creats cannot inflict MD.

This isnt a “fight at the table”. A fight at the table would imply that there is a vague rule or unclear description. This is a CLEAR and DELIBERATE statement of the rules. Ironwood DOES NOT inflict MD. Full stop.

Also.. having literacy doesn't let you create scrolls. Or caligraphy. Create Scroll is a spell. That Fusionists cant get. They cant, ergo, Create Scrolls.

If your entire “argument” is “well i just completely ignore everything the rules say”....

Then why are you even posting. Its obviously not to get feedback, because youre just ignoring anything that doesnt agree with you.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:

Moreover, though:

Beacuse all three of those other items are natural items not modified by magic. Ironwood is not natural, and IS modified by magic. Magic which sepcifically tells us that the items it creats cannot inflict MD.

This isnt a “fight at the table”. A fight at the table would imply that there is a vague rule or unclear description. This is a CLEAR and DELIBERATE statement of the rules. Ironwood DOES NOT inflict MD. Full stop.

Also.. having literacy doesn't let you create scrolls. Or caligraphy. Create Scroll is a spell. That Fusionists cant get. They cant, ergo, Create Scrolls.

If your entire “argument” is “well i just completely ignore everything the rules say”....

Then why are you even posting. Its obviously not to get feedback, because youre just ignoring anything that doesnt agree with you.

Okay... so fusionist can't write scrolls.

But then again that can be dealt with just using 1 element at a time.

As for the ironwood, I ignore it because I disagree with the idea that 3 other "mdc" items "can" and 1 can't.

Especially such a high level spell that takes time to actually get.

So pardon me if I decide to say "ironwood inflicts megadamage" at my table.

Because in my opinion saying "ironwood can't" is a big middle finger to the player.

In a world where the most powerful character class cannot hope to defeat a faction or even some of the highest villains solo, kinda kills the "overpowers the game" argument really quickly.

And honestly it wasn't for feedback, it was to share an idea that "might" be unique and fun.

Actually there is a mechanism that would allow for a fusionist to create a scroll. But its 1 in a billion right?

Actually 2.

A ley line Walker "could" create a "create scroll" scroll and a TW Wizard could implant that spell into an item to allow mages that don't "normally" have access to the spell to utilize it.

But then again I am kind of an A$$#ole that way.

Return to “Rifts®”