Board index » MDC Worlds » Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®

Post subject: Re: Robotech gone.
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:16 am

Dungeon Crawler

The question of what system to use comes up, and should depend on what you want-I'd use M&M's mecha and manga, if you want a fast moving system that prizes speed more than tactical "Accuracy" while Mekton Z would be good for the more simulationist players.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:59 pm

Adventurer

jaymz wrote:
And I'll rewrite the old third invid war stuff to go with it.

To be honest, I'm not particularly interested in the old Third Invite War stuff; the concept of the Regis/Regess re-occupying Earth after Symphony of Light never say well with me. I'd be more interested in a project that takes what Shadow Chronicles set up (specifically, the whole “the Haydonites are the next threat to face mankind, as they betray Earth's defenders” bit) and builds on that. In short, do what Shadow Chronicles had the potential to do before it went off the rails.

Also: once the license ends, do you think we can get the IMAI files made public again? I lost my copy some time ago, and haven't dared ask for another copy of it due to the PB license.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:54 pm

Palladin

Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)
Pm me dataweaver

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, AIM - icesith1, MSN Messenger - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, ICQ - 127915633, Yahoo Messenger - demonjames666, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

MIAFI :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

the third invid war storyline is pretty much unneeded now, i agree. i never much liked it in 1st ed either.

but the new mecha and gear the TIW site created could certainly be used in 2nd edition with a few adjustments. especially the invid mecha and the new cyclones. the new Veritech fighters though run into some issues with tech advancement and the haydonite conflict storyline that would force some extra changes but they could still be used.

honestly the only thing from it i can't see being very useable in some form is the class 6 Invid.. but since those were ridiculously powerful and meant to replace the regis as leadership in the TIW scenario, that probably isn't much of a loss.

* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:14 pm

Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:
the third invid war storyline is pretty much unneeded now, i agree. i never much liked it in 1st ed either.

but the new mecha and gear the TIW site created could certainly be used in 2nd edition with a few adjustments. especially the invid mecha and the new cyclones. the new Veritech fighters though run into some issues with tech advancement and the haydonite conflict storyline that would force some extra changes but they could still be used.

honestly the only thing from it i can't see being very useable in some form is the class 6 Invid.. but since those were ridiculously powerful and meant to replace the regis as leadership in the TIW scenario, that probably isn't much of a loss.

Agreed with the class sixers. I could see the rest of the gear being part of a surprise 'turn and fight' scenario for the Invid, maybe a taskforce of volunteer stage fivers left behind to act as a 'spoiler' if the Haydonites took up pursuit, or a surprise rescue force if those fivers left behind on Earth needed an emergency extraction.
Or, it sets up for a 'yesterday's bad guy is today's ally', with the UEDF/UEEF PCs being last-standed by the Haydonites, only to be rescued by a cavalry of Invid, who vanish as soon as the Haydonites are routed.

For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:54 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

actually if you use the TIW invid as a post-earth invid, during or after the haydonite war, you could use the class 6's even.. they could be 'high royals' meant to fill a role similar to what the Regent would have before the invid split the first time.. that of a leader able to command the invid while leaving the regis free to focus more on her evolutionary experiments.

the main thing would be just giving the Space hives sublight and fold drives to make them full blown warships instead of orbiting stations.

* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:32 pm

Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:

the main thing would be just giving the Space hives sublight and fold drives to make them full blown warships instead of orbiting stations.

With hordes of Invid sub-castes filling in quite ably as point defense.
Yep, can see it.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:33 am

Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:

The Invid stuff can certainly be useful as evolutionary updated designs for the Invid for a 3way battle (or a new UEEF ally). The Space Hives don't need to be necessarily updated, just use the Scorpion Carrier since it was supposed to handle that role.

The site though went overboard with Cyclone variants, really they could have just done a Cyclone or two and covered their bases with modular packages/configurations. The 4 new VFs maybe dated, though I suppose could be adapted.

We still don't know how the Hyadonites "exploited" the Shadow Devices. So in a campaign the GM could take one of two views:
1. The exploit is a result of the way the technology works
2. The exploit is booby trap or backdoor they snuck into the design while providing assistance to the UEEF

In either case though the "new" Shadow Devices the 3IW site has could address the issue in different ways (Option 1 would be to use the Bio-Emulator to create an canceling wave, Option 2 would be to remove the backdoor/boobytrap) as a future VF.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:20 pm

Priest

Scorpion Carrier's arguably a Regent design...while the Regis could logically transmute up a load of them(or rather the works to grow them) since I doubt the Sentinels or UEEF left any intact after snotching the Regent, I wonder of the Regis would really bring back the design, given its bad memory association.
Of course, she might do it because frankly she doesn't have any new designs available to her, but she might want to generate something new with the knowledge she's acquired.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:52 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

it could be that the Regent doesn't use transmutation to build his scorpions and clamships. those seem to be suited ot a more conventional construction system.. and would help explain why the Regent would want to hold places like Karbarra, which have both shipyards and lots of industry.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:21 pm

Knight

Figures... Always hated the new CEO of Harmony-Goldiloks; always thought of him as a mealy mouthed two-faced squeeb.
Now I KNOW he is.
Oh well; it's not as if things like this aren't unknown. Re; Bastards of the Coast Vs. D20 open liscence, Games Workshop Vs. Fantasy Flight Games.
Alas.
Oh well, I have my Macross True kit-bash stuff & the books I did collect of the 2nd edition Lobotech (along with the stuff I have from first run RT). I'll just have to laminate the pages when they get too ratty ;)

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:29 pm

D-Bee

Location: Robotech Research Group, New Macross Defence Institute
jaymz wrote:

Actually Jaymz, try to re-tweaked the 3rd Invid War storyline. Rather than Earth, how about a new Invid force trying to reclaim Optera that had been re-seeded with 2nd Gen FoL (mutant variant) by a mixed of UEEF / Sentinels colonists.

The new Invid leader should be Tesla, fully transmuted as Invid Simulagent who are trying to reclaim lost Invid homeworld and gallivanting across the galaxy amassing Inorganics army abandoned at various forgotten Invid's outposts, and also rallying the Invid's Gura Faction.

This new Invid forces should be a combination of Invid Regents' Inorganics, the Invid Simulagents' faction led by Tesla and the mutant Invid Gura. All the new Invid mechas as presented in Dave Dietrich's 3rd Invid War should be part of Tesla's arsenals.

RDF-HQ Image Gallery
Robotech Research Group

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:16 am

Palladin

RobotechMaster wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Actually Jaymz, try to re-tweaked the 3rd Invid War storyline. Rather than Earth, how about a new Invid force trying to reclaim Optera that had been re-seeded with 2nd Gen FoL (mutant variant) by a mixed of UEEF / Sentinels colonists.

The new Invid leader should be Tesla, fully transmuted as Invid Simulagent who are trying to reclaim lost Invid homeworld and gallivanting across the galaxy amassing Inorganics army abandoned at various forgotten Invid's outposts, and also rallying the Invid's Gura Faction.

This new Invid forces should be a combination of Invid Regents' Inorganics, the Invid Simulagents' faction led by Tesla and the mutant Invid Gura. All the new Invid mechas as presented in Dave Dietrich's 3rd Invid War should be part of Tesla's arsenals.

Interesting thought. I was looking to do it in a way that eventually the returned Invid would end up teaming up with the earth forces to take on and defeat the Haydonites. Your idea could work as an alternative for the post earth/haydonite conflict. Wouldn't affect the mecha stats any though either way as an added benefit.

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, AIM - icesith1, MSN Messenger - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, ICQ - 127915633, Yahoo Messenger - demonjames666, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:41 pm

Knight

Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie."
Alpha 11 wrote:
Well, if you haven't seen the lasted RTT update, Palladium has last the licence to Robotech, again.

Considering what a public relations fiasco RRT devolved into, I'm surprised that HG let things drag out as long as they did before pulling the plug. They've always been very concerned with maintaining at least a flimsy outward appearance of being on top of it all, so I can imagine it was probably a source of considerable frustration on their part watching PB dig itself a progressively deeper hole as time went on.

For what it's worth, I felt Palladium at least tried to do justice to Robotech in the 2nd Edition RPG. It stood head and shoulders above the old RPG and Macross II RPG in terms of accuracy to the source material. Manga size was definitely a mistake, though it was at least an understandable mistake. It probably would've helped if they had done the books spiral-bound, so the more portable format would be easier to use.

There were still some accuracy issues in places, some of which were annoying, but at least a few served a useful purpose in NERFing the older designs so the later ones in the New Generation would be an attractive option. MDC small arms will never not be a terrible idea, especially when arbitrary damage values made them better than quite a few larger weapons used by ten meter tall robots. The game was definitely running out of steam by the time we got to the New Generation and Genesis Pits books... the amount of canon material in Robotech just isn't big enough to develop a game with a significant number of sourcebooks and expansions.

Spoiler:
Sadly, the 2nd Edition gets a lot of undeserved flak for its greater accuracy to the source material. The Masters Saga fans in particular beat on it for depicting the Southern Cross Army mecha as largely ineffectual. It's not an idea which came from Jason Marker or even Harmony Gold, and it has no roots in any kind of alleged Macross Saga favoritism... it actually comes from the Southern Cross OSM itself, which describes many of the mecha as being mostly useless against the Zor.
Only the Auroran (RT: AGACs) is described in favorable terms, and only then as a "too little too late" measure late in the war.

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:40 am

Adventurer

glitterboy2098 wrote:
post 2021 we might see the actual macross stuff (macross plus, 7, frontier, zero, etc) finally start coming over.

that said, i wouldn't hold my breath for PB getting a macross RPG if that happens.. not only do i suspect that PB will probably avoid licensed material from now on, but PB's working with HG has probably soured PB's image in the eyes of Big West, given how often Big West and HG clashed.
That’s probably for the best. I have a love/hate relationship with PB: I love the IP, and I hate the game engine. And as far as Macross is concerned, PB leaned a little too heavily into a war gaming angle for my taste, with insufficient attention paid to the soap opera aspects of the source material.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Adventurer

I always wondered how FASA was able to get away with using mecha from soooo many different Japanese anime series like Dougram and Crusher Joe; most of FASA original mecha designs sucked save for the Clan-Mechs.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Knight

Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie."
Peacebringer wrote:
I always wondered how FASA was able to get away with using mecha from soooo many different Japanese anime series like Dougram and Crusher Joe; most of FASA original mecha designs sucked save for the Clan-Mechs.

FASA didn't exactly get away with it... they were flying under the radar for a little while with what was quite literally copyright infringement for a little while, that's all.

Ironically, what brought them down was getting too big for their britches and filing a lawsuit for copyright infringement of their pirated designs against a legitimate licenseholder (Playmates Toys). That inspired bit of idiocy didn't just blow up in their faces, it led to a hilariously one-sided countersuit filed against them by the legitimate licenseholders. FASA was so hopelessly screwed that settling out of court was their only hope for survival, and ultimately agreed to a legally-binding blanket ban on the use of mechanical designs from other IPs (resulting in "the Unseen"). FASA's successor companies in recent years have unwittingly violated that ban and been threatened with legal action (or actually sued) for it as in the case of the BattleTech 25th anniversary artbook and the recent MechWarrior suit.

(It had another funny consequence that often gets ignored... FASA had to go, on bended knee, and pay for original mechanical designs for the game's Japanese edition to avoid being sued down to their skivvies there by the even less amused Japanese IP owners.)

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Monk

jaymz wrote:
RobotechMaster wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Interesting thought. I was looking to do it in a way that eventually the returned Invid would end up teaming up with the earth forces to take on and defeat the Haydonites. Your idea could work as an alternative for the post earth/haydonite conflict. Wouldn't affect the mecha stats any though either way as an added benefit.

I did the same in my friends game. First I made a R.C.C called the Regis Hybrids. The premise is that Regis experiments are given some of her genetics so she can more easily manipulate their bodies. The product of two Regis experiments having a child create a Regis Hybrid. The Regis Hybrids or Hybrids always have some aspect or the Regis' appearance and some aspect of her power.

The GM said sure. So I presented him with Banshee. Banshee is from a dynastic family like the Sterlings, Hunters or Grants. She argued with command to give her a chance to make contact with the Regis and use her... circumstances to convince Regis to return and help. Basically convincing the Regis that humans were duped by the shadow and that as the light she was supposed to protect the other species from Haydon. Intrigued by the evolutionary marvel the Regis head what she had to so and agreed to aid the war. With Banshee's (her call sign not her real name) help and mankind's penchant for war she developed new Invid ships and hybrid veritechs and returned with a fast grown Fleet. The Regis was also offered a return to Eart so the FOL could grow and she and her children could return to their primarily agrarian lifestyles while the humans and Zentradi would defend the Earth.

BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid

Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech

Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus

The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:53 am

Adventurer

taalismn wrote:
IMHO, I don't think there's another company that will try a Robotech RPG.
If we're lucky, the Tactics game may continue, but a true RPG? Outside fan efforts, I don;t see it happening.

A company called Strange Machine Games disagrees.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:05 pm

Palladin

They may disagree but it is not out yet so we will see.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Adventurer

Doesn't matter if it's out yet; taalismn said that he does think that there's another company that will try. There is. I'll agree that it's still an open question whether they'll succeed, though I'm hoping they will — and hopefully they'll succeed well enough to go beyond the Macross era before HG losses the license.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 pm

Palladin

They have two years and last I myself checked they aren't really any closer than they were this past summer to being done.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:35 am

Knight

jaymz wrote:
They have two years and last I myself checked they aren't really any closer than they were this past summer to being done.

Which certainly makes the fact that they've branded it as a Macross Saga RPG rather than a Robotech RPG a bit more illustrative of how near Robotech's ending is.

Zer0 Kay wrote: