Cold Based Classes, Powers, Weapons, and Resistances

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Janos2001
D-Bee

Cold Based Classes, Powers, Weapons, and Resistances

Unread post by Janos2001 »

Hello again,

Kind of curious, are there a lot of things in RIFTS resistant/immune to cold based damage? Also, are there any weapons that actually inflict cold based damage? I can't seem to find any listed anywhere I have looked, so starting to think maybe not. Lastly, are there any O.C.C./R.C.C./P.C.C. (RIFTS/PF) that work with cold and ice besides the following:

O.C.C./R.C.C./P.C.C.:
Cold Born (Rifts: World Book 36: Sovietski pg. )
Cold Blooded (Merc Adventures, p20)
Frost Mage (Rifter #70 pg. 68)
Warlock
Ice Dragon
Freezer
Elemental Fusionist
Elemental Shaman
Yagnar

Weapons:
Iceblast Shotgun (RUE Pg. 127)
Ice blade (Book of Magic Pg. 319)
Grenade: Flash Freeze (Book of Magic Pg. 329)
Blizzard Staff (Splynn Market Pg. 138)
TW Shard Pistol (Federation of Magic Pg. 113)
TW Shard Rifle (Book of Magic pg 327)
Ice Pistol (Rifter 13 Pg. 84)

Magic:
Book of Magic (Pg. 81 )
Rifter #70 (Pg. 70 )
Rifts Dimension Book 11: Dyval (Pg. 59)
Palladium Fantasy Book 12: Library of Bletherad (Pg. 71)

Did I maybe miss any?

Thank you all for your time and assistance.

Will be adding more soon as I locate some, as well as adding the Book and Pages for the O.C.C./R.C.C.s.
Last edited by Janos2001 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Cold Based Classes, Powers, Weapons, and Resistances

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I was going to mention Ice Witches/Icecraft in the Antarctica World Book, and went to the store site to make sure I had the name right. I noticed that the link for the Raw Preview was gone, presumably due to selling out, and then noticed there was no item description for the preorder. Was there one previously?
Janos2001
D-Bee

Curbludgeon wrote:I was going to mention Ice Witches/Icecraft in the Antarctica World Book, and went to the store site to make sure I had the name right. I noticed that the link for the Raw Preview was gone, presumably due to selling out, and then noticed there was no item description for the preorder. Was there one previously?

I honestly never saw it.. didn't start trying to come back to RIFTS until a few months back and it was already gone (been gone since 95/96 due to never being where anyone played and just recently realizing I could play online lol). I have hopes that it will bring something as I feel that we have a ton of fire type stuff (Damage AND resistance, and even weapons) but very little Cold/Ice based weapons and creatures/abilities (not sure about resistances or immunities though). My only question is, when will it actually come out? I know that the tried bringing it out many years back, and then the sneak preview (which I missed out on), but I haven't seen a release date on it.

I was really hoping I was wrong and that those were not the only options I had, but I have checked every World Book up to Sovietsky as well as I think maybe all of the Dimension and Sourcebooks, Conversion Books and Rifters up to #79 and this was all I could come up with (well, including a couple of Spells from the Book of Winter I think it is called, in one of the levels of Dyvals or some such)...
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Do the Orb of Cold spell (BoM pg. 98) and the Iceblast Shotgun (RUE pg. 137) not do cold based damage?
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

HarleeKnight wrote:Do the Orb of Cold spell (BoM pg. 98) and the Iceblast Shotgun (RUE pg. 137) not do cold based damage?
Per the Orb of Cold spell description, it inflicts impact and cold damage.

Given that the Iceblast Shotgun is using Orb of Cold as the primary, as well as wave of frost as one of the secondaries, I'd say that it would be more than reasonable to rule that it inflicts impact and cold damage as well.

Now, how that gets parcelled out (half and half, 1d6 impact and 2d6 cold, etc.) would be a GM ruling.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Janos2001
D-Bee

Yeah, Sorry I was not too clear, I didn't list the Spells because I knew that the Warlock could use those... but the Shotgun, I had no clue on.. I must have missed it somehow.. so Thank you on that one! It is good to find at least one weapon that does it lol. Now to see if I can edit my original post to add that..
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I remember some kinda ice-wolf-deevil in DB11 too. I wouldn't be surprised if Canada and Russia had some other examples amongst their demons.
Janos2001
D-Bee

Axelmania wrote:I remember some kinda ice-wolf-deevil in DB11 too. I wouldn't be surprised if Canada and Russia had some other examples amongst their demons.

I will search for it, Thank you.. Probably not a Playable Race with my luck lol, but still good to see..
DD The Shmey
Explorer

Unread post by DD The Shmey »

The Frostblade spell, as well as TW Ice Sword in rifter #2 both do cold damage. ... oh wait, you already have that one in your list (reprinted in book of magic).

I am guessing the Stormspire TW Shard Pistol in Fed of Magic does most of its damage in the kinetic energy of its ice, but it is possible part of the damage comes from cold.

The Blizzard Staff - Farie Powered Biowizard weapon in Splynn pg138 does cold damage and casts some spells that do cold damage.

Rifter #13 also has some elemental powered weapons in their technoshifter section.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Curbludgeon wrote:I was going to mention Ice Witches/Icecraft in the Antarctica World Book, and went to the store site to make sure I had the name right. I noticed that the link for the Raw Preview was gone, presumably due to selling out, and then noticed there was no item description for the preorder. Was there one previously?

If/when this gets released there was a lot of interesting cold based tech stuff in the raw preview. Both magic and mundane in origin.
Janos2001
D-Bee

DD, Thank you for the information on the Pistol and Staff, it is very much appreciated. I will certainly go and check on the pistol and add them to the list.

Kaid, I really hope it gets done soon, I missed the preview and would have loved to have seen it.. Ahhh well, one can always dream lol.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Janos2001 wrote:Hello again,

Kind of curious, are there a lot of things in RIFTS resistant/immune to cold based damage? Also, are there any weapons that actually inflict cold based damage? I can't seem to find any listed anywhere I have looked, so starting to think maybe not. Lastly, are there any O.C.C./R.C.C./P.C.C. (RIFTS/PF) that work with cold and ice besides the following...

Aliens Unlimited has several cold-based weapons in it, and alien races from cold places. Phase World has alien races as well, but I don't recall seeing cold-based weapons in it. Both books also have random tables that can be used to make an alien from a cold planet.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

The super spy OCC in Rifts mercenaries has the option to take super powers so that counts. (there area also other options for super powers.)
Ice monster (lesser water elemental) has an blast of icy cold.
Pixie: frost-found in conversion book 1.
Blizzard staff-spynn dimensional market- while not direct cold damage can encase things in ice and cause snow storms.

While not rifts per say it is possible to convert cold weapons from AU/HU. If I recall right there was a weapon that sprayed super cold liquid.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Janos2001
D-Bee

Thank you Blue Lion and The Beast for your information, it is appreciated as well.. I will update the list shortly.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Spells (L#=Level#) that involve Ice or Frost or Cold or or Snow:
Invocation: Ice (L6), Orb of Cold (L3), Wave of Frost (L3), Frost Blade (6),

Elemental (majority are water, but check others): Encase in Ice (L6), Little Ice Monster (L6), Shards of Ice (L4), Sheet of Ice (L3), Ten Foot Ball of Ice (L5), Wall of Ice (L4/5), Circle of Cold (L3), Orb of Cold (L3), Frost Blade (L3), Wave of Frost (L3), Snow Storm (L5/6)

Items:
-Frost Foil, the Winder Blade (Dragons & Gods)
-TW Gobling Bomb or Arrowhead: Orb of Cold (BoM)
-Ice Drake Automaton (Frost Blades, BoM or WB16)
-Dark Lightning (has cold based attack, WB21 or BoM)

RCC/OCC (that comes to mind):
-RMB had the Ice Dragon, but RUE introduces the Snow Lizard Dragon

Cold Resistance/Immunity might be more geared toward environmental based than combat based. In which case you might want to look at WB20 for cold weather rules.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I worked on something that would be right up your alley. Haven't touched it in about 6 years, so it's a bit of a fixer-upper.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Janos2001
D-Bee

Edited to add in a new find or three... still looking for more though, please feel free to share if you know of anything. Thank you.
MarissaLH2112
D-Bee

Unread post by MarissaLH2112 »

Library of Bletherad has a number of ice spells. Dunno if they’ve all made it into other products yet.

Also, Palladium Dragons and Gods has the tune sword Frostfoil. Northern Hinterlands has several ice-related items, including the Heart of Ice, and Mount Nimro has a runic polearm called Nadereon that has ice powers.
Last edited by MarissaLH2112 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

And there's the Cold Blooded OCC (Merc Adventures, p20). Impervious to natural cold (half damage from MD or magic cold).
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
MarissaLH2112
D-Bee

Unread post by MarissaLH2112 »

Winterserpent from Bizantium as well. Oh, and umm, Algor Frost Giants.
Janos2001
D-Bee

Interesting adds, thank you. Never heard of Bizantium, I need to look at that one, and the frost giants (what/where are the book/s and are either of those Playables I wonder.. need to check). I vaguely remember the Cold Blooded.. can't believe I forgot about them though. Library I do remember (River of Ice is smexy), but I didn't catch the Sword or the Northern Hinterlands stuff.. I need to go and read up on those. Thank you all again, I will edit to add these once I locate the books (and pages for those I don't know).

Return to “Rifts®”