Creating water (magic) in a RIFTS Vampire Kingdoms game?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tiltowait
D-Bee

Creating water (magic) in a RIFTS Vampire Kingdoms game?

Unread post by Tiltowait »

Sourcebooks the GM is allowing:
RIFTS UE
Vampire Kingdoms (revised)
Vampires Sourcebook

The Vampires books discuss and give stats (but not how to create) a TW (techno-wizard) water gun. Or for that matter, even a self-refilling canteen?
They also have the Mage Vampire Hunter OCC.
So between a TW and a Mage VH I thought we’d have the Create Water issue sorted.

Neither the Mage VH or the Techno-Wizard seem to start with the spell. I have been unable to locate water-based (creation or manipulation) spells with those three books. Even though TW items that one would think use it abound. Granted for more cash than you are likely to have at start. The mundane water pistols seem to be a better bet, but it does kind of take the wind out of the magic users’ sails. “Amazing you can throw fire, put up a force field, summon a blade of light...but can you fill this glass with water?”

Did I just miss it? I can easily believe I missed it in the wall of text :). Which book, page # has this info? If a TW wants to craft one, which spells from RUE, VK, VS are used? Please if poasible cite the source.

Thanks and happy Rifting!

EDIT: Note that several anti-vampire spells are mentioned by name and even some of the NPCs in those books have them...but unless I missed them they are not on the list of the Mage Vampire Hunter. Or the Techno-Wizard.

Vampires Sourcebook
Unlike the true Ley Line Walker
and other spell casters, the Mage Vampire Hunter is limited in
the range of spells he can learn...
This character selects spells
that are most suitable in combating and slaying vampires and
protecting the innocent. Consequently, the following spells are
available for selection:

What's on the Ley Line list but not the Ley Line Mage Vampire Hunter?
Circle of Rain. Create Water.
Vampire hunters don't use water? Is there a better alternative when your party of vampire hunters is surrounded by a bunch of vamps?
Necromance if you want to.
We can bring your friends to life.
But your friends aren't dead and if they aren't dead.
Well, they're no friends of mine.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Creating water (magic) in a RIFTS Vampire Kingdoms game?

Unread post by Mack »

Rifts UE (RUE) has the majority of common Invocations, but not all of them. The complete list is found in the Book of Magic, pages 88-154. (Note RUE p197 refers you to use the BoM.)

The spell you're looking for is Create Water, a level 6 Invocation (BoM, p111). Ask your GM for access to the Invocations in the BoM.

As for creating a TW Water Gun, I'd do a spell chain of Create Water and Telekinesis. But be aware that the TW Creation rules in RUE are rather cumbersome and unwieldy. You and your GM may spend a lot of time learning those rules just to discover that your character lacks the needed skill/spell/knowledge/time/parts to actually build what you want.

---------EDIT------------

The TW Water Guns in the VK book pre-dates the TW creation rules in RUE. So I worked up a quick TW Water Gun for your reference.

TW Water Gun
Has two spell functions. The first fills the half gallon tank with water via the Create Water spell. The second uses Telekinesis to fire water blasts. Each function is activated individually. Five water blasts will deplete the tank. Each blast inflicts 6D6 HP damage to vampires.

Function 1 – Creates a half gallon of water the in the storage tank.
Device Level 2
Spells: Create Water
Activation: 5 PPE
Construction: 100 PPE & 20 hours
Gems carats: 3 Aquamarine
Build Cost: 8,000 credits

Function 2 – Each trigger pull (and 2 PPE) fires a water blast for 6D6 HP to vampires. Range is 60 feet.
Device Level 1
Spells: Telekinesis
Activation: 2 PPE
Construction: 40 PPE & 4 hours
Gems carats: 2 Opal (all other colors)
Build Cost: 1,400 credits
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The Spell "Create Water" was introduced in Rifts with WB16 Fed. of Magic (original, pg139) in its spell expansion. Prior to that the only way to access Water based spells was via Elemental Magic (Conversion Book 1 original) or possibly porting in from other lines (not covered by RCB1o). Rifts Book of Magic complied all pre-RUE Rifts sources into one convenient book (for the most part) and I would recommend it.

Some of the early Rifts World Books (like WB1) lack creation information. That said if you have World Book 20 (pg128) or BoM (pg332) I would point you toward the Manoman Head Hunter TW-Bionics: TW Watergun (specifically). They INCLUDE creation stats for all the TW Bionics, but also of note mention that many of these TW Bionic Weapons ALSO COME IN hand-held-use versions.

If you have RUE, check the TW Gem List as it will include spell/gem combos, and Create Water (w/PPE requirement) is present (Aquamarine, pg133). From the PPE you can work out the approx. level (and therefore spell cost to learn), though as Mack said it was Level 6

Mack wrote:
The TW Water Guns in the VK book pre-dates the TW creation rules in RUE. So I worked up a quick TW Water Gun for your reference.

While WB20 pre-dates use of the RUE rules, the TW Bionic Watergun has a slightly different spell list (Energy Bolt, Fly, Create Water).
Tiltowait
D-Bee

Unread post by Tiltowait »

Thanks for all the info folks.

My GM is super leery of power creep...well for Rifts splats, more like power leaps. So he is really keen on no other books. But he is allowing certain exceptions. He is allowing the Create Water spell to be included...but not at start. So my caster will have to get it as a reward or on level up, etc... But at least one day he’ll have it. :)

No Circle of Rain though :(
Necromance if you want to.
We can bring your friends to life.
But your friends aren't dead and if they aren't dead.
Well, they're no friends of mine.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

ShadowLogan wrote:
Mack wrote:

While WB20 pre-dates use of the RUE rules, the TW Bionic Watergun has a slightly different spell list (Energy Bolt, Fly, Create Water).

That’s the nice thing about TW: there’s often multiple solutions to the same problem.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
DD The Shmey
Explorer

Unread post by DD The Shmey »

Mack wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:
Mack wrote:

That’s the nice thing about TW: there’s often multiple solutions to the same problem.

I like the solution where you become a Techno-Shifter from the Rifter#13. Then you Summon a greater water elemental, ... you know the big one the size of a mountain with 6000 MDC. Then you suck em up with a vacuum cleaner, and win the old mind battle of domination thing. Then use some powerful magic ensorcell spells and abilities to trap the greater elemental's soul into a large gem (it needs to be one of the expensive blue ones). Finally you attach a shaft, some wires and hoses to the gem and put a nozzle and a handle on it, and Poof, you have your squirt gun.

On an added bonus, this squirt gun doesn't need to pump PPE into it to use it... but don't drop it, or you might unleash some kind of godly eldritch horror of a water monster that floods the entire world.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

The Arzno sourcebook has spell chains, creation PPE for TW water weapons.
Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Unread post by Hawk258 »

VKr Page 77 Well of Plenty 5000 gallons per 50 ppe
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

If you can connect with Rifts England, a scathach cauldron could do the job. Hook up some kind of mechanical ladel to constantly scoop as much a possible out. If you got one that worked fast enough you could flood the world faster than Tiklik drains it dry.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Tiltowait wrote:Thanks for all the info folks.

My GM is super leery of power creep...well for Rifts splats, more like power leaps. So he is really keen on no other books. But he is allowing certain exceptions. He is allowing the Create Water spell to be included...but not at start. So my caster will have to get it as a reward or on level up, etc... But at least one day he’ll have it. :)

I would imagine any TW that winds up in the vicinity of dr reid probably winds up being taught create water or at least offered it for a pretty low price. As a survival tool in the south west it is just that useful both for drinking and offense/defense vs vampires. And the more TW who know it= the more TW that can crank out anti vampire tools. Dr. reid for all his crazy is pretty monomaniacal about his hatred of the undead and will do just about anything that increases how much death he can help bring to the undead.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

kaid wrote:
Tiltowait wrote:Thanks for all the info folks.

I would imagine any TW that winds up in the vicinity of dr reid probably winds up being taught create water or at least offered it for a pretty low price. As a survival tool in the south west it is just that useful both for drinking and offense/defense vs vampires. And the more TW who know it= the more TW that can crank out anti vampire tools. Dr. reid for all his crazy is pretty monomaniacal about his hatred of the undead and will do just about anything that increases how much death he can help bring to the undead.

I imagine any magic user who gets anywhere near Dr. Reid will quickly learn
Create Water
Lifeblast
Globe of Daylight
See Aura

I wouldn't be surpised if he insists that they learn
Recognize Undead
Eyes of the Dead
Divining Graves and Tombs

These spells plus Lightblade, the protection Circles and sactuary are simply amazing vs undead and the more mages who know them the better. There are only a few other canon spells that would go on the "must know" list for any serious vampire hunter. And most of them are either rare, exotic or from other settings and thus may or may not be available on Rifts Earth.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Rifts®”