Best Possessor

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Best Possessor

Unread post by acreRake »

Is there an OCC, PCC, RCC or Power category (etc) that specializes in possessing people?
Or is a regular old Mind Mage/Melter my best bet?
Are there good combos of psionics/spells/abilities/powers for possessing others?
Axelmania
Knight

Re: Best Possessor

Unread post by Axelmania »

Mind Mage and Mind Melter have to wait til 3rd to get it, the Psi-Nullifier from Rifts Psyscape is a better candidate because:

1) he gets a super at 2nd, no restructions

2) he starts with mind block auto-defense, so it will be hard to probe him and figure out he's a fake

3) even if you have something like the Block Breaker power, his anti-ISP defense can counteract it
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

does that OCC explicitly say it isn't restricted from mentally possess others? because i seem to recall the restriction is in the power, which would make it more specific than the general rule found in the OCC.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

The MPO power text does not include the 3rd level restriction (neither does the Psi-Sword). However, I do believe that was the author’s intent and would apply it to all psychic characters.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Mack wrote:The MPO power text does not include the 3rd level restriction (neither does the Psi-Sword). However, I do believe that was the author’s intent and would apply it to all psychic characters.

Actually Psi-Sword does include text that restricts it to 3rd Level or better selection* in the entry itself under Psi-Sword damage: "...(one can not select this power until level three)". This is found in Rifts Main Book pg127, Rifts Ultimate Edition pg 181, Palladium Fantasy 2nd Edition pg178, Heroes Unlimited Revised 2nd Edition pg313. Those are the 4 main books I have with the Psi-Power. Text does exist limiting it to 3rd level.

Mentally Possess Others does not include such a restriction, nor does Mind Wipe (another power listed in the Mind Melter/Mage as being unavailable until 3rd Level)

*aside from the Cyber-Knight and Amaki Duelist, there are a few races/classes that do start with it at 1st level but with no indications of modifiers (so until level 3 you can't use it).

acreRake wrote:Is there an OCC, PCC, RCC or Power category (etc) that specializes in possessing people?
Or is a regular old Mind Mage/Melter my best bet?
Are there good combos of psionics/spells/abilities/powers for possessing others?

While Psychics are good their ISP cost and duration put limits on them that someone with the (Major) Super Power of "Transferal/Possession" (HUr2E pg295) doesn't have to contend with.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Thank you for the correction. That’s what I get for skimming instead of reading.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
acreRake
Hero

I like the Nullifier idea.
Would the character's immunity to possession still work while the psychic is out possessing someone else?
(It's listed under RCC "bonuses" not "psionic powers" if that helps. My guess is, no?)

I take the point about Transferral/Possession... Just keep trying until it succeeds... is really strong

Just for fun: Is it possible to split your mind and be in two places at once? Could a psychic martial artist with Two Minds Zenjoriki possess someone and still control their own body? Is there magic that can do anything like that? Or maybe a power or ability that would let the possessor control their own unconscious/mindless body in some other way?

(the psi-sword discussion is actually helpful as i was looking to pick that up too!)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

acreRake wrote:
Just for fun: Is it possible to split your mind and be in two places at once? Could a psychic martial artist with Two Minds Zenjoriki possess someone and still control their own body? Is there magic that can do anything like that? Or maybe a power or ability that would let the possessor control their own unconscious/mindless body in some other way?

In a way yes, but remember that Two Minds results in a higher reasoning mind and more base instinct mind. One of which gets the physical body, and depending on how the GM handles the second... So the body is in a way still under the control of the PC, but the control is more limited IMHO.

Now the GM could rule the second mind gets a physical body or an Astral Projection type of body. If it's a physical body, you end up with a body out of their control if they posses someone, but if its an Astral Body I could see that "taking over".

It has been a while since I looked at it though and this is just off the top of my head.
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

acreRake wrote:Just for fun: Is it possible to split your mind and be in two places at once? Could a psychic martial artist with Two Minds Zenjoriki possess someone and still control their own body? Is there magic that can do anything like that? Or maybe a power or ability that would let the possessor control their own unconscious/mindless body in some other way?

(the psi-sword discussion is actually helpful as i was looking to pick that up too!)

I'm of two minds on this.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
acreRake
Hero

Khanibal wrote:
acreRake wrote:Just for fun: Is it possible to split your mind and be in two places at once? Could a psychic martial artist with Two Minds Zenjoriki possess someone and still control their own body? Is there magic that can do anything like that? Or maybe a power or ability that would let the possessor control their own unconscious/mindless body in some other way?

I'm of two minds on this.
I almost hit the 'report this post button' :lol:

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”